android
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Remaining time of track shows incorrectly

Gentlemen,

Can anyone suggest why the remaining time of, say, a 30 minute classical track, shows (bottom right) time remaining of over three hours, yet at the end of the piece changes to the next track correctly.

Clip Zip; latest rockbox firmware; no other problems.

Thankyou

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Which theme are you using? I don't know if any of them aren't working properly but it's something I'd check. I use Clock Lock, Clock Zip, Blu and the Default cabbie v2 and they all seem to report the time remaining accurately.

I'd also check my tags to see if length is written as a tag. Some writing applications create a tag for that. I seem to recall that being an issue in the past. That's a fairly old memory so I'm not 100% certain about that. I wiped out all my length tags when I cleaned up my files a few years ago so I can't check that right now.

Kind of nit picky but when you report a Rockbox problem it's best to give the actual build version number instead of saying something like "latest rockbox firmware". I just checked and that's fb43a13-121206 at this moment. If a developer is trying to track down a problem having that information is helpful when they bisect to track down which version broke something.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Sir,

Default installation theme.

No length tags, apparently; files, (with only filename changed, bitrate changed to 192, track volume leveled, but not otherwise manipulated), are simply copied from MediaMonkey 3.2.5.1306, where times show correctly.

Rockbox version: d119fb1-121202.

Thankyou.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Default time remaining problem

I just ran into this described in the past day. I looked around for it but can't find it now. I've been using Mp3diags and the material I saw said this was a tag problem. Really stretching my memory now but it was either conflicting tags or latin characters in a tag.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Latin tags

Sir,

Whereas, with Latin tags, no problem shows in MediaMonkey and Windows Media Player, this may be an explanation for RockBox displaying wrongly on some files.

Meanwhile I will search further, and experiment.

Thankyou

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Administrator

I don't consider either MM or WMP as a standard for proper tags. It was the tags they wrote that needed the cleaning I mentioned before. The tags they write and read can be nonstandard in a number of ways.

If you want to check your tags I'd use MP3Tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/. Load a folder into MP3Tag then check what tags are there in the Extended Tags panel. If you're anything like me you may be surprised as to what has been added that you don't see in other applications.

If you clean your tags with MP3Tag and the playing time still isn't reported accurately I'd check the Rockbox bug tracker http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/ to check if anyone else has reported the same issue. If not, I'd report what's happening with you.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Sir,

I have now used mp3tag on the problem files, but no strange tags were found.

Nor has substituting accented characters for unaccented changed matters.

I will next check the Rockbox bug tracker.

Thankyou

Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Administrator

You can use MP3Tag to rewrite the tags. That should remove any possibility of them being written improperly.

You could also use foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/download with the File Integrity Verifier component http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_verifier to check if there's any issues with your files if they are MP3s. There usually isn't if the files were written with a decent encoder like LAME. It still wouldn't hurt to check. A full album doesn't take but a few seconds and a portable installation of foobbar2000 won't interact with any of your installed software. If none of that helps that pretty much exhausts any suggestions I have.

Properly encoded and tagged files play for me without problems in Rockbox. If you've determined that your files and Rockbox installation are good and they're not doing the same for you I would definitely bring it to the attention of the Rockbox developers. That's the type of feedback they need to catch and fix bugs that may affect others that haven't noticed or reported an issue.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Sir,

For what it is worth, I add these minor details:

In an example of a troublous file, (the size 6.4Mb, 59 bitrate, real length [per MediaMonkey] 15:10) rockbox shows file length to be 1:52:15.

When, (with mp3tag, checked further with MP3-Check 1.0.40.0) I remove all tags and cut the file roughly in half, (MediaMonkey = 2.8Mb, correct length 6:27), rockbox shows file length to be 48:03.

Cutting again the file in half, (1.2Mb, 2:53), rockbox shows file length to be 21:28.

Once more cutting the file in half, (452Kb, 1:02), rockbox shows file length to be 7:42.

Nothing found in Rockbox bug tracker.

Have submitted the problem as a possible bug on www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12790 .

Thankyou

Last edited by SBookman; 12-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Administrator

The file you uploaded to the bug tracker is broken. There's no VBR header and it reports it's length inaccurately. When I ran the Fix VBR MP3 header part of the foobar2000 File Integrity Verifier utility it repaired the file so that it accurately reported it's length both in foobar2000 and on the Rockboxed Clip Zip.

I'm not familiar with MP3Check but if it's not reporting a problem like this one I'd look into another mp3 file tester. I've used MP3Val and AudioTester but they're fairly old and aren't maintained. The File Integrity Verifier utility component in f2bk is my go to tool for checking MP3 files now.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Sir,

I understand my problem, now: corrupt VBR mp3 header, caused often by a too fast mp3 cutter program called AD Mp3 Cutter, now toileted.

Rockbox also alerted me to this answer, and so removed this supposed bug from any further need of accounting.

The Foobar2000 utility Fix VBR MP3 Header, is now medicining all my other errant files.

Thankyou, sir, for your very useful advice, and generous assistance.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Glad you've got things working properly.

Your choices in software to handle your music files can make a tremendous difference in your experience. Now that you are using foobar2000 you may want to explore it further. I consider it the best music manager I've used, bar none. It can't deal with a player in MTP mode but other than that it's just about all I ever use to deal with my files. I cross check my tagging with MP3Tag but fb2k handles just about all the other day to day operations.

If you cut mp3 files frequently you may want to look at MP3Trim. http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html. I've used it when I wanted to cut a mp3 file without re-encoding. It took a bit to get my mind wrapped around how it does things but once I did I found it quick and simple to use.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Sir,

I shall henceforth use also MP3Trim to cut into movements, and to trim intro and overlong applause from classical recordings.

Thankyou again.