android
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Rockboxed Clip V1 keeps locking up, crashing

I have a Rockboxed Clip V1 2 gig player that at this point is kind of my "beater" player, in that I use it when I'm out working in the yard, doing the laundry, working around the house, etc., sometimes when I have insomnia I'll even go to bed with a pair of earphones on and the player set on sleep timer.

I'm running 3.11.2, just haven't gotten around to updating to 3.12 yet.

Here's my issue: The player ... and it never used to do that until I updated to 3.11.2 ... will just stop playing and lock up all of a sudden. It still will be powered up, because to make it shut down ... and you can hear an audible little click when it happens ... you have to hold the power button up and do a hard shutdown. I realized that one time when I did take the player to bed with me and I thought it had shut down with the sleep timer, but it had kept running and basically the battery had run completely down.

I like Rockbox, have two Rockboxed Fuses, a V1 and a V2, which work flawlessly, but I've basically taken to using the original firmware on the Clip. I know from looking at Rockbox site that there still are some quirks with Rockbox on the Clip and Clip+. Is this particular issue one of them? I've not found specific references to this specific issue at the Rockbox site/forums.

The reason I ask this is that I just picked up a refurb 8 GB Clip+ on eBay (had an 8 GB regular Clip that gave up the ghost, which I never got around to Rockboxing), and if this is likely to be an issue as well if I Rockbox it, as much as I like Rockbox I'm inclined just to keep it as is with original firmware.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I've found the first thing to do is update your build. That's the response I read every time someone reports than an old build is causing a problem. I wouldn't think a developer is going to try to diagnose a problem with a release that old. There's a chance that whatever issue you're having has been corrected in the hundreds of builds since then.

I'm not sure what quirks with the Clip+ you mean. It runs very reliably on my Clip+. You can always give it a shot and see if it works as well for you.

USB is iffy sometimes on my Clip Zip. That seems to depend on which PC I connect to. On some it works perfectly, on others it may take multiple tries to get a connection but they all transfer properly once the connection is established. Other than that Rockbox works just fine on several V2 Clips, Clip+ and Clip Zips I deal with.

I have a Clip V1 and took Rockbox off it long time ago. It worked as expected but the hit in battery life was too much to make it worth while.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM

I've recently updated to 3.12 but I've been having some weird problems with the Clip+ (one time it crashed while booting up Rockbox, I had to hold the power button for ~30s). The USB support is a bit problematic too (OS tries to install something even when I connect it as charge-only).

So I reverted mine to a pre-USB enabled build, I don't think USB support should be considered fully stable yet, TBH...

I'm using this build to be specific, which is the one I was using before I tried 3.12.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

The issues you're describing have been posted by any number of people here and other places. USB works differently for some people for reasons no one has figured out. I don't consider USB stable on my Clip+ or Clip Zip but I'm sure not going to revert to an outdated build to cope with the minor problems you describe.

With both of them the first ever connection on any Windows machine always reports a failed driver installation and the player freezes. After I reset the player and connect again it connects reliably and transfers happen without problems.

I get the same attempt to install a driver when I connect in charge only mode. On my systems I get the option not to be notified of the failure any more once I select that I don't see the message again and the player charges and I can use it at the same time.

On a Linux machine the same failure happens on the very first connection. After that as long as the player is turned on it connects quickly and file transfer are reliable. Charge only mode doesn't cause any error messages.

This is what happens for me. I've read a number of different posts that say it happens differently for others. Since none of the things I've run into have caused disk problems or damaged my players in any other way I continue to use USB enabled builds. The convenience and improved features doesn't make using an outdated build an option I'll even consider.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The issues you're describing have been posted by any number of people here and other places. USB works differently for some people for reasons no one has figured out. I don't consider USB stable on my Clip+ or Clip Zip but I'm sure not going to revert to an outdated build to cope with the minor problems you describe.
Yes but like I said, I also had an issue with crashing, and there was one song with a strange popping sound in an specific part, not present in an older build. I ripped it myself using foobar2000 and LAME, it's not corrupted.

Quote:
The convenience and improved features doesn't make using an outdated build an option I'll even consider.
I never really understood what's so convenient about USB support, I just use the OF to copy the files, then reboot into Rockbox and done.
I make sure the player partition is full to avoid the database update.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Administrator

If that's what you prefer, then that's what you should continue to do. Each person uses Rockbox the way that suits them best. As there's parts of that don't work for you it's best to continue to use it the way you do.

I got tired of the "keep the internal memory full" silliness and moved on. That worked well enough before USB support was enabled. Once it was I was more than happy to leave that inconvenience behind. As I said, there's a couple of glitches during the initial connection but after that my USB connections are reliable. Transfers happen at the same speed as the OF and I don't get crashes.

Just the way the database works now makes me not want to deal with outdated builds. It's actually is usable now. There's any number of other features including keymap improvements, a better radio screen and playlist handling you'll be doing without but if that's what works best for, you go for it.

If there was popping in a song that I could reliably identify as being due to a updated build I'd file a bug report. The developers can't check problems they aren't aware exist. If they know about it they might find a solution that would enable me to continue using Rockbox the way I prefer.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If there was popping in a song that I could reliably identify as being due to a updated build I'd file a bug report. The developers can't check problems they aren't aware exist. If they know about it they might find a solution that would enable me to continue using Rockbox the way I prefer.
But can I post the song? I probably won't be able to extract a sample and still reproduce the problem.

Quote:
Just the way the database works now makes me not want to deal with outdated builds. It's actually is usable now. There's any number of other features including keymap improvements, a better radio screen and playlist handling you'll be doing without but if that's what works best for, you go for it.
What changed in the database? I used 3.12 for a few weeks but didn't notice anything different.
Then again, I usually just pick an album and listen to it, and I don't fiddle with playlists too much (just to remove songs I want to skip when listening to an album - using the playlist generated for playback, I never actually used an external playlist)...
I never use radio either.

Last edited by vittau; 12-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.