android
  #1  
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Help Play galaxy music on home theater system

a friend of mine has that other device made by the company named for a fruit and is able to play the music on his device via his home theater system using the A***e TV appliance.

As the proud and unabashed owner of a Galaxy player I'd like to know what my alternatives are. I have tried using an FM transmitter device attached to the earphone port in conjunction with the built-in FM tuner of my receiver- results are pretty poor to say the least.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM
kp-j3's Avatar
kp-j3 kp-j3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 299
Default

I'm assuming a cable is unacceptable, and you want something wireless?
__________________
Daily drivers - Cowon J3 32GB/64GB microSD, Sennheiser hd202s
Others - Cowon D2+ 8GB, Iaudio 7 8 & 16GB, Sandisk m260, Samsung yp-r0 8GB, SGP 5.0
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
I'm assuming a cable is unacceptable, and you want something wireless?
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I'm looking for a wireless solution.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
loutingle loutingle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Does your home system have Bluetooth?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,058
Default

On my Galaxy phone I see two apps called All Share and Double Twist that appear to accomplish what you're looking for. I am wondeing if they are compatable with the line of Galaxy players?
__________________
Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320 - IPod Classic 160GB - iPod 5.5G 80GB - Sansa Clip Plus 4GB - Original Sansa Clip 2GB
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loutingle View Post
Does your home system have Bluetooth?
Sorry,no.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
On my Galaxy phone I see two apps called All Share and Double Twist that appear to accomplish what you're looking for. I am wondeing if they are compatable with the line of Galaxy players?
All Share is defined as follows
"AllShare™ Control lets you control Samsung TV, Samsung Washing Machines, Samsung Air Conditioners and PC easily when you have them connected to the same wireless router."
Mine is a Yamaha receiver that doesn't have w/l, so I don't think it will work

Doubletwist- Sync music (including iTunes playlists) to your phone from your Mac/PC over USB or AirSync over WiFi
Looks to be related to syncing to my phone, rather than playing what's on my phone.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

if your surround sound doesn't have bluetooth or wifi then just how else do you think you could possibly stream wirelessly? short of adding a bluetooth reciever to your surround sound (something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-34505053.html ) then your ONLY other option is the crappiest choice there is and that is to use an FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the player, but those are HORRIBLE. or just go wired (which is the cheapest and BEST way).
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:18 PM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
if your surround sound doesn't have bluetooth or wifi then just how else do you think you could possibly stream wirelessly? short of adding a bluetooth reciever to your surround sound (something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-34505053.html ) then your ONLY other option is the crappiest choice there is and that is to use an FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the player, but those are HORRIBLE. or just go wired (which is the cheapest and BEST way).
Hi thanks again and Happy New Year!

Well, that's why I brought up the ipod-appleTV comparison. The way I understood how that worked was that you connected the appleTV to the receiver via HDMI and the ipod communicated wirelessly with the apple TV (something called airplay is involved that uses Wi-Fi as I understand it).

So is there an equivalent box to the apple TV I could buy that connects to my receiver via HDMI (or even digital audio optical optical/coax since I'm interested only in sound) and my Galaxy player could communicate with?

I have the NetGear NeoTV box but that doesn't appear to have such a feature.
The device that you provided the link for is something along the lines of what I'm looking for, but would have been better with an optical/coax digital audio out.

So is BlueTooth the only communication option for me then? Isn't there a Wi-Fi option as well?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

from what i've seen wifi is more of a "file sharing" type thing so you would need a "smart device" like the a**le TV that can view the files on the device (like accessing files on another computer on the network), where Bluetooth setups like the previous link will allow audio streaming where changing tracks and pausing and playing would be done from the music app on the player. you could try Doubletwist https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lkUGxheWVyIl0. it list as a feature being able to stream music to an a**ple TV over wifi.
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 PM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
from what i've seen wifi is more of a "file sharing" type thing so you would need a "smart device" like the a**le TV that can view the files on the device (like accessing files on another computer on the network), where Bluetooth setups like the previous link will allow audio streaming where changing tracks and pausing and playing would be done from the music app on the player. you could try Doubletwist https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lkUGxheWVyIl0. it list as a feature being able to stream music to an a**ple TV over wifi.
I'm trying to find a hardware appliance that could connect to my receiver similar in functionality to A***e TV.

I found a device that kind of fits the bill but it's rather spendy.
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

unless your playing AAC or FLAC audio files your really don't NEED an optical output, remember MP3's are only 2 channel stereo files, so unless your stereo simply doesn't have rca audio inputs your really just overdoing it.

another thing to think about is bluetooth maxes out at a range of about 30 feet so you would need to be in the same room as the receiver to use it, there is however apps that let you stream content over wifi to an Xbox or a Roku or other DLNA compatible devices, the truth is bluetooth will be the easiest setup and you can use the music player on the SGP to change tracks, where on wifi the device your using will just be "browsing" the player like the player is a networked hard drive, so if you want to have true control from the player then combine Poweramp (or your music app of choice that supports bluetooth streaming) with this http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...RF-BTR212.html (first result on a quick google I just did, gives you the optical output you want).
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
unless your playing AAC or FLAC audio files your really don't NEED an optical output, remember MP3's are only 2 channel stereo files, so unless your stereo simply doesn't have rca audio inputs your really just overdoing it.

another thing to think about is bluetooth maxes out at a range of about 30 feet so you would need to be in the same room as the receiver to use it, there is however apps that let you stream content over wifi to an Xbox or a Roku or other DLNA compatible devices, the truth is bluetooth will be the easiest setup and you can use the music player on the SGP to change tracks, where on wifi the device your using will just be "browsing" the player like the player is a networked hard drive, so if you want to have true control from the player then combine Poweramp (or your music app of choice that supports bluetooth streaming) with this http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...RF-BTR212.html (first result on a quick google I just did, gives you the optical output you want).
Great advice. Didn't realise optical was really not a necessity. I'll work with this.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

don't get me wrong Optical does have its place, but that is in audio containing atleast 5 channels (specifically "uncompressed" audio like you find on Blu-rays), but MP3's are only 2 channel (left and right) stereo (like CD's).
Something else to think about is if you have the SGP 4.0 with the Wolfson chip that only applies to the headphone jack output so you won't have any sound improvements from voodoo sound when using Bluetooth, I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM
kp-j3's Avatar
kp-j3 kp-j3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.
I'm with him on this. I'd avoid wireless in an audio chain unless it's necessary .
__________________
Daily drivers - Cowon J3 32GB/64GB microSD, Sennheiser hd202s
Others - Cowon D2+ 8GB, Iaudio 7 8 & 16GB, Sandisk m260, Samsung yp-r0 8GB, SGP 5.0
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
sumithar sumithar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
don't get me wrong Optical does have its place, but that is in audio containing atleast 5 channels (specifically "uncompressed" audio like you find on Blu-rays), but MP3's are only 2 channel (left and right) stereo (like CD's).
Something else to think about is if you have the SGP 4.0 with the Wolfson chip that only applies to the headphone jack output so you won't have any sound improvements from voodoo sound when using Bluetooth, I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.
Hi,
Not sure I fully understand. I don't know anything about Wolfson Chips or Voodoo sound (apart from what I just looked up online). But based on all the good information here, I don't see why that Belkin device won't suffice for my purposes.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
home theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.