android
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM

hi all, one of my clip zips is currently not working. It's just stuck on the startup logo and does not continue to the menu's anymore and is also not being recognized on my pc. it was on rockbox already and I decided to restore to OF, after transferring music to it and disconnected from pc, this is when it started to not continue to menu anymore.. I tried the hard reset (30sec on power button) also forcing the msc mode when plugging in to pc.. any ideas what could revive it? it still has power and all that, just literally stuck on flower logo, i even left it for an hour thinking that it might just be updating the database, but still stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated.. tia!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM

My clip Zip started getting the error: "undefined instru" immediately after booting into Rockbox and hanging on that. I have tried to remove the bootloader and Rockbox and reinstall them, but the problem still persists. It is horrible using the standard Sansa firmware...

Last edited by NicholasV; 01-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Finally got around to trying Markun's HQ patch which has been around for a few years now and from looking at the code - it appears to increase the Headphone Bias current by 50% which is supposedly helpful to drive headphones of a higher impedance.

I must say that for quite a while I've been underwhelmed by what I perceived as being a less than full and a comparatively colder, less powerful and somewhat spiky bass sound of Rockbox to that of the Official Firmware through the headphones which I use. I mainly use headphones of around 60 -70ohm. I've never had a lack of 'volume' in either firmware but felt that the Offical firmware tended to drive my phones better and others that share my ZIP and headphones are of the same opinion. This patch works great. I'm now for the first time starting to enjoy Rockbox.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anybody else notice the new 10-band EQ?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks Marv. I saw where Saint was looking into a 10 band EQ a few days ago but never checked the since 4 weeks http://www.rockbox.org/since-4weeks.html log to see if it had been committed. At a quick listen it seems that that when I load my saved EQ presets the additional bands I hadn't adjusted are just left zeroed. Cool, if that's the case that lets me still use them unchanged until I decide to make changes.

I've used builds with the HQ patch enabled and hadn't heard any difference with it enabled with IEMs or 64-80 ohm headphones. Then again, I've never heard a difference between the OF and Rockbox either. I guess different ears with different headphones are likely to hear different things.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Thanks Marv. I saw where Saint was looking into a 10 band EQ a few days ago but never checked the since 4 weeks http://www.rockbox.org/since-4weeks.html log to see if it had been committed. At a quick listen it seems that that when I load my saved EQ presets the additional bands I hadn't adjusted are just left zeroed. Cool, if that's the case that lets me still use them unchanged until I decide to make changes.

I've used builds with the HQ patch enabled and hadn't heard any difference with it enabled with IEMs or 64-80 ohm headphones. Then again, I've never heard a difference between the OF and Rockbox either. I guess different ears with different headphones are likely to hear different things.
Never tried the HQ patch myself. And with the Zip, the sound does not change from OF to Rockbox, assuming flat settings, to my ears. And yeah, the since 4 weeks is where I learned about it.

My e280 and two iPods I leave on the release build, but with my Zips I look at that page about once a week and do an update. Of course, now that this expanded EQ is available, it's ironic that the only headphone I use with any regularity that needs EQ correction is the Senn PX90, which I already had a setting saved for. My three most used 'phones don't need it, asides from a little bass boost here and there.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Administrator

No EQ! Blasphemy! Heresy! Or maybe just listening to what your ears and experience tell you?

I tweak all my headphones some. Some more than others of course. I've found if I spend a little time and get them balanced to my ears they all benefit. The opposite ends of the scale for me with my portable headphones are the PortaPro and the MEElec HT-21. I've find the PortaPro really decent untouched or with just dialing down the bass frequencies a hair. The HT-21 needed some serious work.

Almost gave up on them until I found they're one of the few headphones I've encountered that can take a heavy bass boost before they distort. Once I tried that they really livened up. I'll be the first to say they're probably not for everyone but after I figured out what they were about they've made a nice addition to the rotation.

Is that a V1 or V2 E280? I got rid of my V2s a good while back due to the shorter battery life. Heck, I was getting better runtime out of a Clip+. Great sound adjustments and all the other RB advantages but I had the chance to get a decent price for them or give them to some folks that would actually use them so they went away.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiru880 View Post
Finally got around to trying Markun's HQ patch which has been around for a few years now and from looking at the code - it appears to increase the Headphone Bias current by 50% which is supposedly helpful to drive headphones of a higher impedance.
Lower impedance headphones, not higher. But we tested it and the setting didn't appear to do that (or really much of anything), so my assumption is that the datasheet (which is actually for a different part) is not accurate for that register.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Caution....slightly off topic.gif

Quote:
No EQ! Blasphemy! Heresy! Or maybe just listening to what your ears and experience tell you?
Well, I give them all a chance without it so I get a feel for what their natural signature is, and I think it's important to go that way if you are comparing two headphones.
Quote:
I tweak all my headphones some. Some more than others of course. I've found if I spend a little time and get them balanced to my ears they all benefit. The opposite ends of the scale for me with my portable headphones are the PortaPro and the MEElec HT-21. I've find the PortaPro really decent untouched or with just dialing down the bass frequencies a hair. The HT-21 needed some serious work.

Almost gave up on them until I found they're one of the few headphones I've encountered that can take a heavy bass boost before they distort. Once I tried that they really livened up. I'll be the first to say they're probably not for everyone but after I figured out what they were about they've made a nice addition to the rotation.
I have three sets...Cortex CHP-2500, JVC HA-S600, and the Senn PX90...that are all enjoyable to listen to with some tweaking, but of the three, only the PX90 are regularly used, as they are my super-portables. All three sets are lacking in the mid-to-upper midrange, at least as far as my ears go....and I do add a little bump to the 80hz-and-below range with the PX90 as well.

The Koss KTXPro1 sound really nice to me without EQ, but they don't fit me well, so for that reason they're rarely used. Then the 3 main sets...Audio Technica ATH-FC700, JVC HA-S500, and the Ultrasone HFI-780 come into play.

FC700 I sometimes add a little V-shape tweak to, at low volume, but at normal to loud volume they don't need it. They're small, light and comfortable with a nice short cord perfect for a shirt pocket DAP placement...but being closed-back, I only use them around the house.

The HFI-780 have velour pads on them, which softens both the high and low ends a bit (with the stock pads the highs can be a bit on the piercing side) and I generally use them with either my FiiO E11 with level 2 bass boost or the Digizoid ZO. They're big enough to interfere with the glasses, so they're my stationary use only 'phones. The S-Logic circuitry makes for a nice soundstage especially on a closed circumaural 'phone....they're awesome for movies.

The HA-S500 get the most head time, though. Easily powered by anything, well rounded frequency response, really the only knock on them is the somewhat narrow soundstage, and again, they're an on-ear could-be-portable, so it's not surprising. And do they ever shine with electronic-based music.....even if they wouldn't be your choice for classical necessarily. They're always getting my head to move with the tunes. They're not even in the same ballpark as the S600's that I also own(that collect dust). The S600 are a AA minor league team compared to the S500 being a big league team.

Quote:
Is that a V1 or V2 E280? I got rid of my V2s a good while back due to the shorter battery life. Heck, I was getting better runtime out of a Clip+. Great sound adjustments and all the other RB advantages but I had the chance to get a decent price for them or give them to some folks that would actually use them so they went away.
It's a V1, that I only got recently. I haven't done a battery bench on it but it seems like it would at least match one of my Zips' battery life. When there's no music playing, sometimes I can hear a little (CPU?) noise, but it's certainly better that way than my desktop PC...lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM

yeah is there any way to turn the lock key to the power button like on the fuze+? And maybe turn the stop button to a long press of the play button like on the fuze v2?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM

Just installed this on my Clip Zip, loving it so far.

One question, how do I lock the player? A quick tap on the power button just goes to the main menu? I've checked the manual and on player settings and can't see it?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Back button and select.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM

i downloaded the rockbox utlity for my sansa clip zip, says everything is uploaded ready to go. still no rockbox on player. i dont get it. from everywhere i've read online, they say the auto bootloader works best and you dont need go manual. what am i doing wrong?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

No idea what's wrong. You haven't said what you've done except you've uploaded something to somewhere. If you would like for someone to try and help they'll need more than that.

The two most common installation mistakes I see are not designating the correct drive for the installation and placing the unpatched firmware on the player. If you don't tell the automated installer the correct drive for the root of the player the patched firmware usually winds up at the root of the C: drive. If you place the unpatched firmware on the player the firmware updates to that instead of the patched Rockbox firmware.

I usually place the unpatched firmware somewhere like my desktop so it's easy to find when the installer calls for it. After I point it out to the installer it does the patching and places the patched firmware on the player with no further action needed from me.

I'd check those possible problems first. If it's neither of those then I'd post a detailed description of what you're doing that isn't working.

You'll also want to read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing. You'll see there that the recommended installation procedure is the automated installer. That way you won't have to rely on what you read online.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Welcome to ABi

No idea what's wrong. You haven't said what you've done except you've uploaded something to somewhere. If you would like for someone to try and help they'll need more than that.

The two most common installation mistakes I see are not designating the correct drive for the installation and placing the unpatched firmware on the player. If you don't tell the automated installer the correct drive for the root of the player the patched firmware usually winds up at the root of the C: drive. If you place the unpatched firmware on the player the firmware updates to that instead of the patched Rockbox firmware.

I usually place the unpatched firmware somewhere like my desktop so it's easy to find when the installer calls for it. After I point it out to the installer it does the patching and places the patched firmware on the player with no further action needed from me.

I'd check those possible problems first. If it's neither of those then I'd post a detailed description of what you're doing that isn't working.

You'll also want to read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing. You'll see there that the recommended installation procedure is the automated installer. That way you won't have to rely on what you read online.
thanx for the info. i know this might sound ignorant but... how do i unpatch the sasa and rockbox firmware?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator

You don't need to do any of that. Just follow the directions in the manual for Automated Installation.

Download the Rockbox Utility, fire it up and follow the directions. When it links you to the sandisk forum be sure to pick the All Regions and not the Updater. Once you have that file and pick the right mount point the Rockbox Utility takes over and patches the firmware and places it on the player.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You don't need to do any of that. Just follow the directions in the manual for Automated Installation.

Download the Rockbox Utility, fire it up and follow the directions. When it links you to the sandisk forum be sure to pick the All Regions and not the Updater. Once you have that file and pick the right mount point the Rockbox Utility takes over and patches the firmware and places it on the player.
on the bootloader it shows mountpoint drive c: how do i change it to drive H(sansa clip zip)? i've tried everything. it's uploading rock box straight to drive c. this is crazy. makes zero since. i tried configure, auto detect... shows clip zip... still sends rockbox to drive c:

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You can change the drive letter. Change it to the correct one.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM

bingo!!!! thanx for the help. had to configure location and stuff. lets check and see if it's bricked lol

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM

wow. this has a crap load of features lol. i dont even know where to start! my biggest objective here is eq and volume. i could care less about themes. got me a new toy!!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM

just used the RB installer on a brand new ClipZip.
USB on included Feb10 build is totally broken, hangs or crashes the player nearly every time.

switched to older dfkt's build in 1st post, seems fine!
slightly glitchy with newer themes maybe (lebellium black here) but otherwise seems fine?

so yeah.. my point (not sure who to tell) is thanks for the build here, and maybe the RB installer should supply a less broken build? no idea what else is fixed between April 2012 and now, but that's not what 1st time users want to find..

update: ah dammit nice themes like Ekaran don't work with the build in 1st post, needs something newer. edit: wait it's working now. how bizarre. bottom of WPS was missing at first, now it's ok.

still not 100% stable USB on your build (started hard crashing on usb insert, i cleared config and working again!?) but she's gonna order a 32GB MicroSD and hopefully use it that way.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Ultr...srch_res_rtr_1
cheers

Last edited by Smiff; 02-12-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typos