android
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Headphone jack socket replacement

OK, I've established that my headphone socket is faulty (insertion of headphone jack triggers fast forward/jump to FM radio/shutdown etc.) so I have two questions.

1. Is there any way this can be fixed without replacing the headphone socket?

2. If not, how do I remove the white headphone socket component from the board to replace?
This isn't shown in any dissasembly guide I can find and I don't want to damage anything.

I would appreciate any help/comments - thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Redneck Moderator

To remove the headphone jack then you will have to unsolder it. most headphone jacks are surface mount components which can be difficult to unsolder. i wouldnt suggest it as a first time soldering project.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Thanks, if I was to replace the board instead, could I use any board i.e. from 30GB or 60GB model - are they identical?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM

They aren't necessarily identical - one must use each board's respective firmware. But outside of that there'd be no issue connecting either one to any player's other components.
Nokia Lumia 822 16GB+64GB

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM

That's great thanks. I will replace the board as soon as I can get one and let people know how I get on.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Fixed!

I got hold of a board from a 30GB model that a friend kindly donated to me - their Zen was faulty but it was a HDD error, I was pretty sure the board was fine.

So I took both models apart using the trusty disassemble guide and replaced my faulty headphone socket 60GB board with the 30GB board. The only problem I experienced here was that the first time I put everything back together I was just getting a white screen when the unit was turned on. I soon established that I had failed to click the hinge of the LCD connector back into place properly so I took the unit apart again and remedied this using a small flat-head screwdriver.

The unit now powered up and went into recovery mode after a quick flash of the firmware error message. This was due to the fact that I had erased the firmware from my unit prior to inserting the new board. This is where the real challenge began...I began to experience what I have discovered is a common problem where the unit will dock on connection to a PC and even be recognised in the device manager as a Creative Zen but will not show up as connected when using the Creative software. It also meant that executing the firmware upgrade file resulted in a message saying that no player was connected.

I spent a few hours checking various forums for solutions to this and trying several options. None worked until I did what I probably should have tried first which was to uninstall the Creative software from my PC (Windows XP SP2) and rollback my version of Windows Media Player to an earlier version than 11 which I was currently using (for anyone who hasn't done this all you have to do is uninstall the software and it automatically reverts to an earlier version of WMP). I than re-installed Creative Software and the unit was recognised. So I upgraded the firmware with the most recent 30 GB version. At this point I got the "firmware upgrade failed" message after the progress bar had completed but I am used to the fact that this is a red herring so I unplugged the player from the PC after 10 mins or so at which point it re-started itself and went into "rebuild" mode. This took about 30 mins then my player was back in its full working glory. All of the music on my 160GB HDD which I had previously installed into my player was still there.

I am so pleased to have my Zen back, I've been using my cheapo emergency MP3 player for a couple of weeks and the difference in quality is staggering. The Zen Vision M is a fantastic player, I am still baffled as to why something this good is no longer in production.
Apologies for the long post but hopefully someone will find this information of use.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Great to hear it's back in action…I started hearing "Empty Cans" while reading that.
Nokia Lumia 822 16GB+64GB