android
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Thanks!

Hey there muffinzrock, I know this is a very long thread, but I just wanted to say that the first post on this thread restored my E200 Sansa, and it is much appreciated. It had the white screen of death, and the player actually had been thrown in a trash receptacle, when I ran across this thread. I fished it out, did 5 minutes of recommended maintenance, and now have a restored device. I immediately slapped Rockbox on it, and now it works better than ever. Here's to a second life! Cheers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM

Lightbulb Truncated link

Snippet from original REPAIR message:
Run this to downgrade the firmware (NON-R PLAYERS ONLY):
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...fw01.00.12.exe
As it appears here, the link is truncated. After "sandisk.com" and before the EXE filename, the link is /Assets/File/Downloads/firmware/. You can view the entire link by pretending to reply to the original post while using the Quote button. Once you have copied the entire link, cancel your reply.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM

If you really want to see the URL in its entirety, the same thing can be done by simply hovering your mouse pointer over the link. The full URL appears (usually) in the status bar at the bottom, depending on which browser you use. But does it really matter? By clicking on the link, you will be taken to the file automatically.

Was it really necessary to dredge up a 2 year-old thread to add this "tip"?

Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
Snippet from original REPAIR message:
Run this to downgrade the firmware (NON-R PLAYERS ONLY):
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...fw01.00.12.exe
As it appears here, the link is truncated. After "sandisk.com" and before the EXE filename, the link is /Assets/File/Downloads/firmware/. You can view the entire link by pretending to reply to the original post while using the Quote button. Once you have copied the entire link, cancel your reply.
What you've posted isn't necessary as it might lead someone to believe the link doesn't function properly. As Tapeworm says there no need for the extra steps you describe. The link works, all anyone needs to do is click on it.

Link shortening is standard in BBCode http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode. If it weren't some links would be too long to be practical. If you come across a link that doesn't function properly in a standard browser like IE or Firefox please report that. It's sometimes possible to fix those.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Was it really necessary to dredge up a 2 year-old thread to add this "tip"?
Play nicely, OK? I posted that info because my sister reported receiving an error upon clicking that link. Being a newbie, she was perplexed as to what to do. When I provided the full URL, she was able to proceed.

And this thread may indeed be two years old, but so what? Sis isn't running the latest gizmo and uses her DAP so infrequently as to not warrant updating to something newer.

There may others lurking about or discovering ABI for the first time who just may find that information useful. Sorry for using too many bits of storage space .

Oh, and many thanks to Skip for being patient while I helped her through the resurrection process. Her e260 is now back up and running.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
I posted that info because my sister reported receiving an error upon clicking that link. Being a newbie, she was perplexed as to what to do. When I provided the full URL, she was able to proceed.
What web browser are you using that didn't understand that link?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Glad your sister was able to get her DAP up and running again. BTW, thank her for me. Dealing with this caused me pull my old E250 out of my bag and give it a listen. I rediscovered some songs I hadn't heard in a long time. Guess when you accumulate enough music some things just get buried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
What web browser are you using that didn't understand that link?
I have to wonder about that also. I tried that link in 4 different browsers and it opens in all of them. Which browser is she using?

There's a positive side to your report. It made me look at all the links in the first post. I found all of them except the one you reported were dead. I've edited them to point to working sources so anyone that tries them now should get the expected results.

Thanks for bumping this thread. It brought the dead links to my attention and helped me make this thread useful again.

I'll also add links to some of the other recovery guides when I have the time. As you said there's no doubt others that will find this thread due to it's title. Adding links to the ways to enter manufacturing mode and doing a full recovery from there might help them.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Thumbs up No browser; link passed on to user

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I have to wonder about that also. I tried that link in 4 different browsers and it opens in all of them. Which browser is she using?
She wasn't browsing directly, as she is not inclined to be an ABI forum participant (everything would be over her head). Rather, I'm the intermediary researching issues on her behalf.

Although I wondered about the ellipses in the link, I simply copied it verbatim and emailed it to her. Only when she reported no success did I look behind the scenes and uncover the full URL.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Hi.

I have a bricked Sansa e200v1. (ring of death)
I've tried a few fixes from this forum and so far no luck.
I was (am) willing to try the fix from the fixmysansa blog, but while burning the Linux Live CD I get an overburn error (the iso is over 700 MB), so I got to a dead end there.

When I plug the player on the computer pressing REC, the device manager shows a Tango Digital Media Platform device with a yellow triangle.
If I uninstall it, next time I plug it Windows attempts to install it and get the same error again.
I've tried installing the Tango Digital Media Platform from Device manager using 0666-E200.inf and 0781-0720.inf from e200tool and no luck.
The e200tool counts down to zero and can't find the device.
Am I doing the right things so far?

Isn't there a way to proper install that device, so the 16 MB partition shows up?
I understand that would let me use the recovery mode and from there I just have to copy the .MI4/ROM files into the partition.

If so, where do I find the drive? (I am afraid of just googling it and do something to mess it up even more)

Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM

The e200v1 device has a memory chip on a daughter-board that is plugged into the motherboard, as opposed to being soldered together on the v2 model. This has been known to sometimes work its way loose. You might try opening up your player via the 4 small screws in back and pressing down on the foam cushion on top on this chip and see if it doesn't snap back in.

This in fact, may be the cause of your "Blue Ring Of Death" symptom. If not, it may help in using Linux and the e200tool to fix it.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I never got the e200 tool to work from Windows. I haven't needed to recover a e200 is quite a while but iirc when I did I'm fairly certain the original directions said it just doesn't work in Windows at all.

A Live CD can be used to run Linux but it can also be run from a USB drive. I'd take a look at what UNetbootin has to offer. It's simple to install and works with just about any decent size USB drive you might have around. You can try different distros without burning a disc each time.

You can even do a UNetbootin "frugal install" and run Linux from your hard drive. I've used it from a USB key but not from my HD so I'm not sure how well the frugal install works. Linux runs fairly well from a USB drive but it can be really slow.

One other thing if\when you are able to get to manufacturing or recovery mode. Take the warning not to write anything other than what's directed at that point or format the 16 Mb drive using your computer very seriously. The only time I permabricked one was when I did that and couldn't get it back to either manufacturing or recovery mode.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Alright, thanks guys.
1st I will try open the player to make sure it's not the memory chip gone lose.
I do have a external portable HD that I know my PC "sees" it during boot, so I'm going to try Linux from there.
(I can't believe that Live CD won't burn!)

Just extracting the iso in the root drive should work for booting that way, right?
**edit** I'm checking UNetbootin now.
Gotta also print all those Linux commands...

If I understood correctly, the only files to copy to the 16 MB partition are:
BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM
PP5022.MI4
Sansa.fmt

I just don't see myself getting that far ahead yet.

...More on that later...