android
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Default hi! im new and have a question!! is the 4.0 the best version?

so hi, im new here and after many many moons of looking for something that is NOT an ipod but does the same thing i came across the samsung galaxy player..then i came across all the different sizes that they make and after watching many reviews ect on youtube i have come to the conclusion that it seems that the 4.0 is the best version...

it seems it has the best screen. the best wifi and the physical features of it are also better.

i just want to confirm this...please i would love to hear all of your experiences ect.

as i am getting one in the next day or so.

also i see many people do something called rooting...

am i to understand that this allows more control?

and does it slow the SGP down? i only ask because my gfs son was able to get that other one named after a fruit for free from a friend but when he first got it it was slow, so i told him to delete unneeded apps from it because the less room it has the slower it will run, well it seems it was rooted at the time as well. and he had the friend unroot it and it was running faster but now its rooted again and seems to run slow again. so it would seem rooting means it will run slower..

is this true and also what are the benefits of rooting a device like this?

sorry lol also will rooting allow me to use a sd card to push memory higher than 32 gb?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Rooting by itself doesn't do anything. Root in Linux means you have superuser privileges to modify the system in ways which a normal user couldn't. In the case of android it means that you can install different versions of android that other people have modified to add or remove features you may or may not find useful. Also it let's you remove apps that may come on the device you don't want. Honestly unless there is something you need root for i wouldn't bother

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 AM

ok thank you for that explanation...

that leads me to this question...can the games that come on the device be deleted?

i know i will never use this thing to play games and do not want them on it....i would like to free up that space....

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM

i have no idea. i remember on my phone some stuff that isn't essential like a blockbuster app couldn't be removed without root. personally i find the practice of bundling apps that can't be removed to be despicable but for some reason companies insist on it. i don't personally own a galaxy player though so i can't comment on that.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_xero View Post
ok thank you for that explanation...

that leads me to this question...can the games that come on the device be deleted?

i know i will never use this thing to play games and do not want them on it....i would like to free up that space....
If it's only for the space you're worried about just buy a larger SD card. Removing applications won't make your player faster. What makes your player faster is to disable unnecessary services like bluetooth or wifi or sync in the background when you don't need it..

If your device is rooted you have more control on what applications you can remove but unless there's an immediate need or you want to develop on the device I wouldn't bother.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM

The Samsung Galaxy Players are similar in many respects. I own the 5.0, I find the extra screen size makes a huge positive difference when web surfing and using gps applications. On the other hand, the 4.0 is much easier to slip into a pocket. I believe the 4.0 has a gyroscope for game playing, the 5.0 doesn't. I own a 4" device and the SGP 5.0, I would go with the 5.0 for the larger screen, but that is just my personal choice.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM

I have a 5, my wife has 2 4's and my son a 4. I too would go with the 5. It is nice it has a flash for the camera also. 4 is a little more portable, but not so much so as to be better overall than the 5 in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM

thank you guys...i went with the 4.2 lol yeah this will mainly be used for music and video...no game playing to much maybe an occasional pic or vid lol...sucks though i had to order it at amazon cause no physical store carries the smaller ones anymore and the 5.0s that they had they only had 2 left lol....

thats a good sign them being sold out

yea i went ahead and got a 16 gb sdmicro HC card already loaded all my music (9.9 gb) onto it im so excited and anxious waiting for it to get here