android
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Gaming/music headphones?

Budget: Under $200

Category: Which ever fits both gaming and music well. Probably full-sized?

Style: Not sure, from what I've read, open seem to work best for gaming?
However I live in a small apartment so I don't know if the sound leaking of open style might reach other rooms.

Primary location of use: Home/indoor use. Maybe I'll take them sometimes, but only to isolated/private places, nothing too public.

Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I like bass, but I'm not a basshead, nothing to intense. I prefer to have clean vocals in my music.

Media: I listen to mostly older Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and Progressive Rock/Metal.

Source: RockBox'd Sansa Fuze(original) and computer, for gaming. I might be getting an ASUS XONAR DG in the future.

I have been considering the AD700's for gaming, but they don't seem to fit the type of music I like much.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM

I used to hear a lot that Sennheiser was good for movies, I've certainly used mine many times to watch movies. So for atmosphere maybe they are a good brand? Of course they're good for music too. People often say if you're going to listen for a long time, Sennheiser is less fatiguing too? I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, but again I've enjoyed mine.

I think any headphone is going to be ok for both, and if you're setting your price point around $150 before tax as long as you don't go too crazy and buy from a celebrity endorsed brand you're probably going to be fine. Senn, AKG etc are good brands.

Sound won't leak into other rooms from your open headphones unless you are really killing your hearing. Other people in the same room will be able to hear what you're listening to tho, esp. if it is moderately loud.

If you want to boost vocals, just use equalizers ^^

My 2cents. I think headphone advice is hard to give after you've told someone the basics (avoid celebrity branded editions, don't buy expensive cables, be aware of the major brands that have produced good headphones for ages). After you know stuff like this, just choose what you think looks nicest and meets your pricepoint. Below $200 is a pretty good figure that will keep you from getting ripped off by companies taking advantage of stupid audiophile-cultists I would actually say it is the perfect range to buy good headphones, since that is when they start getting really nice, but before they start being all fluff.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For convenience if you want it all in one, and don't mind the fact that there's a mic attached onto the headset at all times I'd go for the Sennheiser PC 350 or 360. The 350 are closed, and I think the 360 may be open, but i'd still probably go for the latter as they look nicer. Currently hover at just above 200$.

Otherwise just go for whatever headphones you want (I'd recommend a closed set in msot cases) and get a nice 40-50$ lav mic. Optionally you could go for a instructor style mic, I personally prefer these so I don't need to worry about where I'm speaking.

As for headphones to use with a separate mic, I'd probably go for something like the Audio Technica M50's. The AD700 are a bit of a niche gaming headphone, I mean theres the myth of them having some kind of mystical power of space and time- allowing you to hear the direction of sound! But in reality its more to do with their sound signature then anything else. Bottom line they aren't bassy, they are actually quite bright, so you can hear game critical things like footsteps better then with a set of "FATAL1TY GAME XPLOSION TO THE MAX" headphones. Or those ungodly 5.1 surround headphones everyone is making targeted at "gamers" -_- Just get an evenly balanced set of headphones and you'll be good to go for enjoying music and games. Most games these days are made with headphone use in mind anyway so you don't really need anything specific.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM

I'm considering going for the AKG Q701 as of right now.
It's a little higher than my price range, but from what I hear it does very well in games, plus has some bass which makes them good all around headphones.

Using head-fi to read some reviews.

Plus this gaming headphone guide

Does it seem reliable?

As for the mic, I might go for a Zalman mic

Last edited by Deity; 02-23-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zalman is pretty bad, but useable. You can find videos on youtube where people test it, and you can hear that it picks up a lot of static and noise. You could look up videos of other peoples tests with these kinda microphones.

As for that gaming headphone guide, well its big, and covers a whole bunch of headphones but the focus seems to be on "competitive gaming" headphones, meaning really bright and possibly harsh headphones. Which is not something I'd recommend for regular headphones. So if you aren't looking for those kind of headphones I'd ignore the opinions and arbitrary scores for the most part. Its just an information, or misinformation overload depending on how well you are personally acquainted with some of the products the writer covers.

Last edited by Jack4L; 02-25-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM

The Zalman mic is allright (for the non-existent price), I have it, but I also have the Modmic and would recommend that one. It's much better in every possible way and still rather cheap.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM

I don't have the Modmic but a lot of people I fly sim online with do and they love it. I'll be getting one when I have some moolah.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh and if your still looking for headphone recommendations this deal on a set of refurbished ATH-a900X is pretty good for only 130$

You basically get everything that gamers like about the AD700 and a sound signature that's far more pleasing and refined even though they are closed back headphones, also a nice quality aluminum build, and thick pleather ear pads.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity View Post
It's a little higher than my price range, but from what I hear it does very well in games, plus has some bass which makes them good all around headphones.

Does it seem reliable?

AKG's are neither good all around headphones nor do they have much bass. . . what they do have is a very wide soundstage which I'm guessing is why they are recommended for games. Keep in mind that Head-fi is full of nonsense.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity View Post

Does it seem reliable?

about the AKG : I own myself a K701 (really similar model and sound), and you have to know that there is bass only if properly amped (you need a powerfull source, not a nomade one, or then you need a headphone amp). Then it's a wonderfull model, but it's always better to try to listen to it before purchase, to know if you like this kind of sound signature.