android
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Default MP3 player around 150$? (detailed description inside)

Hi, I'm looking for an MP3 Player, here more info:
  • Capacity: I would like the SDCard support.
  • Budget: Around 150$.
  • Use: Listening music while relaxing on my bed or while work-out.
  • Type/Design: DAP.
  • Features: I'm looking for 2 things in particular: it should be small, and sound good. And the 'text reader' function would bee nice too, but if isn't there it's okay.
  • Display: The smaller the player, the better. Anyway, a display would be nice.
  • UI/Controls: Touch or physical buttons is the same.
  • Battery life: I think I need at least 8h of battery duration.
  • Additional info: I'll use it with VSonic GR07 or HiFiMan RE262 (I'm still deciding what to buy), and, probably, the Fiio E17 as DAC/AMP.
Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM

Well I think your best bet would be one of the Galaxy Players line since it's android and has a tone of text editors. Or a rockboxed player since those are the only non android players I know with text editors.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Well I think your best bet would be one of the Galaxy Players line since it's android and has a tone of text editors. Or a rockboxed player since those are the only non android players I know with text editors.
Thanks, the Galaxy S Wifi 3.65/4.2 (the second one have a better CPU but is bigger... and I don't know if I really need a CPU bost for an MP3 player) looks like having everything that I need (the only downside is that they are probably a little too big).

I have heard that Cowon is a good trademark in this field, and they offer a device in my price range called C2 that looks good to me (MicroSD support, small, FLAC support - forgot to say that -, and lyrics support). How is this model, and how it compares with the Galaxy players?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autior View Post
Thanks, the Galaxy S Wifi 3.65/4.2 (the second one have a better CPU but is bigger... and I don't know if I really need a CPU bost for an MP3 player) looks like having everything that I need (the only downside is that they are probably a little too big).

I have heard that Cowon is a good trademark in this field, and they offer a device in my price range called C2 that looks good to me (MicroSD support, small, FLAC support - forgot to say that -, and lyrics support). How is this model, and how it compares with the Galaxy players?
Never used it but someone has reviewed it on the reviews sub forum here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Check out the Sansa Clip+ . Its small , sounds good and is great for working out.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM

^Seconded. You might not want something too big/expensive if you're going to be using it to work out. Not to mention how cheap the Clip+ tends to be.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For what yer after i have no idea why the galaxy players are being mentioned :S Aren't they primarily PMP's and not straight up DAPs?

From yer criteria yer screaming for a rockboxed (rb) clip zip or clip+ imo, perhaps a rb FuzeV2 (not a fuze+).
I have the C2 also, and whilst I prefer it to the clip range (from sound quality perspective) I can't see it translating to the gym that well (and I am an exerciser). It's quite heavy, and i've played around with a variety of clips/fastner methods but it will bounce about like crazy if yer not holding it in yer hand that is, whereas a clip won't.

It goes something like this;

Cowon

C2 = best sound quality, fantastic value (arguably cowons best valued product ever), awful UI but can be managed using custom UI (this is really important imho). Suitable for doing weights and low impact exercise, not really practical for running or jogging (high impact).

i9 = best sound quality (same as C2), a little pricier, no expansive storage so 16gb is a the max. This is cowon's best 'exercising player', using the right kind of fastener it won't bounce about much as its quite light. Suitable for high impact exercising.

Sansa

Sansa Clip+/Zip = Best valued DAP EVER. It's sound quality is on par with Cowon but a fraction of the price. However it doesn't come with the DSP's (BBE/Jet Effect) that cowon players have that some (including me) prefer to use (enhances sound quality, but this is debatable). It is incredibly small and light weight so is by far the most suited to high impact exercising. It has a clip already so less work requiring to finding a clasp etc. Rockbox (custom UI) improves features of the player.

Sansa Fuze V2 = bigger version of the clip+/zip. No clip on back tho so u might have to afix a clasp etc. Better battery life, heavier than clip, but probably still acceptable for high impact activity.

If i were u i'd buy a clip+/Zip, anyone who exercises should have one of these.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

autior:

if you go with one of the Sansas, tell it that you live in the USA (or anyplace other than Europe). Then you probably won't need the headphone amp because you won't be living with the European volume limitation.

Also choose one USB setting...MSC or MTP, take it off AutoDetect. If Rockbox seems like a serious option for you, choose MSC.

Steve

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^

I was going to say the amp prolly isn't necessary, i have the Fiio E7 and it didnt make the slightest bit of difference for driving my IEMs (just louder which I didn't need).

Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks to everyone for the huge feedback, honestly I was pretty surprised of finding a player mounting android like Samsung Players adviced by mamamia for the chance of updating it with some fresh CFW and have an updated player over the years, but then I found out that 4.2 and the 3.6 versions of Samsung player (the only ones sold in my country) have no possibility of doing that (they're stuck with froyo), so yeah I'm revaluting them, as the price is a little high for the hw (still talking of the price in my place, I can't import it from the US cause taxes) and, as I said before, is a little too big.

Anyway, I want to buy a single player for relaxing AND work-out (totally high impact training for the next month), then the clip +/zip are probably the best choice for doing both, but, as I said, the only function that would be fun to have would be lyrics reader, there is something like that on a rockbox'd +/zip? (just for fun, sometime I don't get the words of foreigner songs )

@Steve: thanks for the hint, I'll do that.

@BruceBanner: I'll probably end up using the player with Sennheiser HD598 when relaxing other than the IEMs, I don't know if the player can amp them (if it can, cool ).

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Rockbox has a number of plugins. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x15-16600012. Among them is a lyrics reader http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...-28800012.4.10

You probably will want to use it sparingly. The biggest drain on the battery is having the screen on and you can easily reduce the relatively short battery life of a Clip to a few hours.

If you're interested in Rockbox you can check the link in my sig. I'd also read the manual http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html at least through Browsing and Playing. You'll need that to get a good idea of what's possible if you install Rockbox. You'll probably want to read more to take advantage of the additional features if you decide to install.

I found that using it as a reference resource once I had it installed worked better than trying to read the whole thing. There's tons of things in there that I found by skimming rather than boring myself digging through it page by page.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 PM

I just bought a Clip Zip. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. Small, affordable ($30 US new), will work perfectly with a microSD card formatted for FAT32 (I have one in mine right now), you can install Rockbox on it if you want, it actually sounds AS good as my iPod without tweaking any of the settings. It also has a radio built into it.

I think it's nice cause it's small and you can carry a lot of music on a 64GB card, plus the thing can clip onto your shirt or whatever while you work out.

The only trouble I had with Rockbox is that it didn't want to auto-install with the 01.01.20 clpza.bin file. I had to download the 01.01.18 one from this site and then the process worked perfectly.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep they're great. consider the cost value ratio it's brilliant.