android
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Changes to Files in Internal Storage do not Stay

I'm having a wierd problem.
First, I noticed that my Sansa Fuze+ was unable to update the database. It would hit 83% and stay there without ever finishing.
Then, I noticed that any changes I make to files, such as editing or deleting them, appear to take effect on the computer or within the player, but if I unplug it and plug it back in or turn it off and on, the files I changed would act as if they were never changed, and the files I deleted came back. It's like the whole drive is now read-only, but neither the player nor the computer knows it.
This happens whether I'm in the OF or Rockbox. Is my drive corrupted or something?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Are you using a Mac as your computer? If so, I believe you have to empty your Trash before unplugging for whatever changes, deletions, etc. you made to actually take effect and be saved.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoTR2 View Post
Is my drive corrupted or something?
From what you describe it's a possibility. You can check that by running whatever disk checking facility your OS offers.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Are you using a Mac as your computer? If so, I believe you have to empty your Trash before unplugging for whatever changes, deletions, etc. you made to actually take effect and be saved.
I am using Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
From what you describe it's a possibility. You can check that by running whatever disk checking facility your OS offers.
I think that may be the case, even though the files (music, pictures, rockbox apps, and the FW itself) all work flawlessly except when settings are changed (like a database update or if I wanna change themes).

I ran the Windows disk check, but in the My Computer window, the information on remaining space disappeared and when I tried to enter the drive, it said to insert a disk. Then, when I unplugged, Rockbox wouldn't start until I hard reset it. Now, the PC's detection of the drive is on/off, sometimes telling me to insert a disk in the middle of browsing it.

Later, if possible, I will move all of the files from the drive to my PC, and try to format it. If that doesn't work, I'll just get a Fuze, since I was sorely dissapointed with the Fuze+ anyway.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator

There are sometimes issues with USB and Rockbox. What you're describing is how my original edition V1 Fuze behaves using a USB connection. My Clip+ and Clip Zip also lose the USB connection if I use certain themes. There's been times when I checked the file system after Rockbox USB has dropped connect and found problems.

Try booting the original firmware and doing the disk check from there. If that's successful I'd try updating to a development build if you haven't already. I'd also be careful about safely removing the drive. There shouldn't be any issues as long as there isn't a transfer in progress but it wouldn't hurt to positively eliminate a process running in the background from being disrupted and causing problems.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There are sometimes issues with USB and Rockbox. What you're describing is how my original edition V1 Fuze behaves using a USB connection. My Clip+ and Clip Zip also lose the USB connection if I use certain themes. There's been times when I checked the file system after Rockbox USB has dropped connect and found problems.

Try booting the original firmware and doing the disk check from there. If that's successful I'd try updating to a development build if you haven't already. I'd also be careful about safely removing the drive. There shouldn't be any issues as long as there isn't a transfer in progress but it wouldn't hurt to positively eliminate a process running in the background from being disrupted and causing problems.
I could try that and see if it'll help the fact that nothing can be added to, changed in, or deleted from the internal storage. If that doesn't work, I'll format the drive and reinstall Rockbox. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new player or see if there's anything else I could do.

EDIT: Okay, so I allowed Windows to "Scan and Fix" the drive, and it appeared to be going smoothly, but now the progress bar is near the end and it hasn't moved for about 15 minutes. The whole time it was checking, the screen said "Do Not Disconnect, but when the progress bar stopped moving, the "Connected" symbol came on, and I can no longer access the data on the drive. This time, it says "Access Denied" instead of "Insert a Disk into Drive X:"

EDIT2: I'm now backing up the files from the drive.

Last edited by psychoTR2; 03-07-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Not being being able to write to a drive is a common symptom of a file system corruption. Most often you can tell if there's corruption using a *nix OS (Linux, Mac) if the drive is marked as read only. Writing includes all the things you've listed. Even deletion requires a new files system table be written to account for the deletion.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM

So, does that mean I need to format the drive or is it kaput?

EDIT: The files are coming onto the PC okay, and all the important system files have been transferred successfully, I just hope I can get all my music off, too, before the drive disconnects on me.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM

I realize this thread's a couple of months old now, but I think I have a clue as to what's going on here. There have been reports on the Rockbox forums about similar symptoms to what you're describing.

That said, here's what I think is happening: the storage chip inside your device may have bitten the dust. I believe the same thing happened to Metaphys, the individual responsible for starting the Fuze+ port or Rockbox. He sent it to Pamaury, the developer who's managed to do more for the Fuze+ than anyone else. When Pamaury open the device and poked around, he found that the chip was indeed damaged, and subsequently announced plans to (eventually) update the bootloader to allow booting Rockbox from a memory card.

Of course, if PyschoTR2, or anyone else who has this problem, wants to try formatting, it couldn't hurt. Good luck, peoples!