Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I could be mistaken but impedance would only effect the entire output level. meaning that if you had two sets with everything else the same and the exact same source but different impedances, they would sound the same once volume matched (assuming volume matching could be done without introducing distortion from the source). Its not like two identical sets at the same volume would have different bass response or something.

and volume matching means both have the same level of volume coming out of them. this often means that the source is set at different levels to achieve the same output volume. a lot of times people hear two sets and say that the louder one sounds better...or they dont have enough juice from their source to push the higher impedance set so when they jack the source up to full volume ranges the amp starts to distort and they say "man, these cans dont sound as good". its not the cans introducing the difference in sound. they are merely recreating what is sent to them. garbage in, garbage out. so I guess you could say that impedance can effect how they sound from your source. for a crappy analogy...if you are pushing a half empty cart of dirt up a hill and then an overflowing one your experience will be very different... but the dirt didnt change. You just cant push the really full one so it is kind of useless and stupid for you.

disclaimer - I am drawing a lot of these opinions from basic speaker principles as well as popular headphone opinions. when you get into home and car speaker configurations you start playing with impedance and manipualting it a lot more. Speakers that are exactly the same except for the impedance are pretty common so that you can wire multi speaker configs and not overload your source.

edit - I re-read you reply a couple of times and it is possible you are using frequency response when you mean volume...meaning we are saying the same thing. frequency response is typically a chart that shows what frequencies a speaker is capable of reproducing at a set volume level. it is not measured across the board of its output.

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 03-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.