android
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy Players already discontinued??

I was in Williston, VT this weekend and one of the associates at the BestBuy said that the 3 Samsung Galaxy Players (3.6, 4.2 and 5.0) were already discontinued, that BestBuy won't carry them anymore. They didn't have any in stock of course. I'm from Canada and bought the 4.2 last August from a US online store. I really love this little machine. I was wondering why the Galaxy Players were not yet available in Canada and now I learn that they're no longer made. What happened? Were they a commercial failure? Maybe to release 3 different models at the same time was a mistake? They could have just pushed one (most likely the 4.2) vs the iPod Touch. I mean, if there still a market for the iPod Touch, they're should be one for the Galaxy Player 4.2, which is cheaper and better IMO.

Anyone knows if it's true that they're discontinued? In any ways, I searched online stores and lots of them show "unavailable".

I was hoping to get an update soon to maybe have the latest Android version on my 4.2. I think I'd better forget that now...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM

It would be sad if it is true. I haven't seen Android players gain much traction over the past 2 years and fear it is going to go the way of the Zune (R.I.P.)

I would like to think that when my 5" gives up the ghost. I would be able to replace it. Then again I never like the sound of my SGP 5". I might as well use a old Smartphone for a player and with the old phone I can at least replace the battery.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
It would be sad if it is true. I haven't seen Android players gain much traction over the past 2 years and fear it is going to go the way of the Zune (R.I.P.)

I would like to think that when my 5" gives up the ghost. I would be able to replace it. Then again I never like the sound of my SGP 5". I might as well use a old Smartphone for a player and with the old phone I can at least replace the battery.
One of the reasons why I went with the 4.2 instead of the 5.0 was that it had a replaceable battery. I like the sound just fine with the 4.2. I paid for the JetAudio app and it has nice settings. I'm mostly playing heavy metal and with JetAudio coupled with Skullcandy earbuds, I like the sound. I changed to the 4.2 from a Cowon D2, which was one of the best sounding MP3 players and I like the 4.2 sound just as much with my settings.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloi666 View Post
I was in Williston, VT this weekend and one of the associates at the BestBuy said that the 3 Samsung Galaxy Players (3.6, 4.2 and 5.0) were already discontinued, that BestBuy won't carry them anymore. They didn't have any in stock of course. I'm from Canada and bought the 4.2 last August from a US online store. I really love this little machine. I was wondering why the Galaxy Players were not yet available in Canada and now I learn that they're no longer made. What happened? Were they a commercial failure? Maybe to release 3 different models at the same time was a mistake? They could have just pushed one (most likely the 4.2) vs the iPod Touch. I mean, if there still a market for the iPod Touch, they're should be one for the Galaxy Player 4.2, which is cheaper and better IMO.

Anyone knows if it's true that they're discontinued? In any ways, I searched online stores and lots of them show "unavailable".

I was hoping to get an update soon to maybe have the latest Android version on my 4.2. I think I'd better forget that now...
I just checked amazon and it does look like they did discontinue all the galaxy player models D;
Amazon is no longer offering them. It is only available from third party sellers. From my experience when this happens it usually means that the product is usually discontinued. Which is really unfortunate because I was hoping that Samsung would release new galaxy players at this weeks MWC 2013 or maybe IFA. But from the looks of it they are not planning to.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
I just checked amazon and it does look like they did discontinue all the galaxy player models D;
Amazon is no longer offering them. It is only available from third party sellers. From my experience when this happens it usually means that the product is usually discontinued. Which is really unfortunate because I was hoping that Samsung would release new galaxy players at this weeks MWC 2013 or maybe IFA. But from the looks of it they are not planning to.
You can still order the 4.2 wifi from Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gala...1957450&sr=8-1

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloi666 View Post
Were they a commercial failure?
I don't know about North America but in Europe they were not a commercial failure. Although they obviously sold much less than Android smartphones, Galaxy Players allowed Samsung to come back to good figures in term of revenue (not volume). Indeed, the unit margin is much higher on Galaxy Players than on YP-U5 or YP-Q2 for instance. I remember the MP3 Product Manager of Samsung France told me 2011 was as good as older years like 2005 or 2006 in term or revenue.

Quote:
Maybe to release 3 different models at the same time was a mistake? They could have just pushed one (most likely the 4.2) vs the iPod Touch. I mean, if there still a market for the iPod Touch, they're should be one for the Galaxy Player 4.2, which is cheaper and better IMO.
3 models have not been released at the same time. The 4.0 and 5.0 have been released together in 2011, then the 3.6 replaced the YP-G50 and the 4.2 replaced the 4.0 in 2012. The global strategy of Samsung vs Apple is the product and series diversification. When Apple releases one product, Samsung releases 10 products. Both strategies are valid if well conducted.

Quote:
I don't know about the situation in North America but in Europe and Korea they are not discontinued yet. I hope for you they are not discontinued as the YP-GH1 release has been cancelled, meaning no new model will be coming anytime soon.

Quote:
An Android update has never been planned on Galaxy Players. Samsung decided only devices with 1GB RAM can be upgraded from v2.3 to v4.0. The current Galaxy Players will never be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich for the same reason as the smartphone Galaxy S has not been upgraded either, although it was much more popular than Galaxy Players.

Last edited by lebellium; 02-27-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

They seem to have been a commercial failure in the UK. The 4.2 has been 80 for around six months now, and I still haven't ever met anyone who has bought one - not surprising since a better specced phone is only 20 or so more.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM

If they have been discontinued, in North America or anywhere else, it wouldn't be a huge surprise. They were never favourably reviewed by the tech media and Samsung did zero marketing.

I got my US 4.0 (YP-G1) pretty much as it was released in the US for the sole purpose of being a podcast player I could also use to check email occasionally but despite the well documented shortcomings *cough*camera*cough* it has become damn near indispensable. It handles things like live internet radio, gaming, network diagnostics & video playback with a surprising degree of competence for a device with such a geriatric OS on ancient hardware.

I never found many people who knew about Samsung's Galaxy Player line, let alone anyone else who had one but I have no regrets.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 AM

I'm glad I bought my 4.2 in the sales. I use it more than my Touch 4G. Best part is the native file system. Downloading podcasts from google reader via a download manager = great success!

I prefer the sound on the 4.2 to the touch as well.

Saying that, I wouldn't have paid the initial RRP. Brilliant device @ 71.99.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 AM

I think they are good devices - especially at the current price.

Just seems that PMPs have been eclipsed by smartphones and now tablets.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
They seem to have been a commercial failure in the UK. The 4.2 has been 80 for around six months now, and I still haven't ever met anyone who has bought one - not surprising since a better specced phone is only 20 or so more.
I bought it form Amazon UK for 80. I wouldn't have bothered for more than this. I'm not sure you can get a better specced phone for 100. CEX sells the 4.2 wifi for 135.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 AM

Similarly specced, then (except it has a phone)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei...review-summary

And that's from last year - expect half-decent phone prices to drop below 100 this year.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM

It's a shame because my SGP 5.0 is a much better format than my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ....... easier to carry around and (unlike on the Tab 2) most of the Apps that are available, are actually better suited for the 5.0 screen.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane John View Post
It's a shame because my SGP 5.0 is a much better format than my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ....... easier to carry around and (unlike on the Tab 2) most of the Apps that are available, are actually better suited for the 5.0 screen.
I completely agree. Hopefully another line of players will come out.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Hello,

I want to buy the 4.2 from amazon cause they are now at 80 pound. Now, the android version on it is 2.3.6. Is this a problem? I'm kind of a noob if it comes to android (it will be my first android device) but are there still a lot of apps for it? I heard from my noncle that his daughter (she has a device with gingerbread on it) couldn't install much apps because of the older version. I looked it up, but i didn't find any good answers so i'm hoping to find one here.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Samsung Moderator

Most common apps are still compatible with Android 2.3.x and will probably remain compatible for quite a long time. Indeed, Android 2.3.x has still more than 40% market share among the various Android versions

Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Most common apps are still compatible with Android 2.3.x and will probably remain compatible for quite a long time. Indeed, Android 2.3.x has still more than 40% market share among the various Android versions
Thanks for your reply. I will go for the 4.2 cause there aren't good other devices for that price and it seems a very good player to me.