android
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 AM

Default [Rockbox] Porting Rockbox to YP-R1!

Hi all guys!
I've just started the port of Rockbox to the YP-R1...
A big thanks to lebellium that brought me a R1 to work on

Basically you should check port status via rockbox channels, i.e.
irc
Wiki - http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SamsungYPR1

Environment is very similar to his brother R0, on which I worked a year ago, and thus the port will be quite straightforward.

So far, as per wiki, I have set up basic stuff to start with. LCD, Backlight, hardware buttons and basic support are working. Even audio playback works, but there is still missing the WM1808 codec support so volume is not controllable.
Moreover there is still no touchscreen.

I would kindly ask you, don't ask for betas or such. I don't want to spread nonfunctional/beta ROMs for the moment as I did for R0.
I will release the patch and git patch in ~2 weeks and I will release a beta when the basic ROM is cleaned and rockbox can be usable without problems (i.e. battery monitor + charging must work and also touchscreen is a must to release a beta)

Feel free to ask whatever you want, apart, as I said, betas

Stay tuned!

Last edited by lebellium; 03-10-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM

In the meanwhile, I'm working on it
I remind you to check here what's going on _> http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SamsungR1Port

Stay Tuned!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Samsung Moderator

The choice of screen orientation is not definitive yet but that's how it could look like thanks to Lorenzo

Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Facts & numbers -> here you can find the patch
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/395/
You can just give a look at it, I will release test ROM asap for you all !

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM

As promised here the very first beta of Rockbox on your (favourite?) player R1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kylpusx5vrswmy8/R1.ROM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/om3966iw1pz78y7/rockbox.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjcbuk9rq8zuz5p/rockbox.sh

Instructions

NOTE: OF stands for Original Firmware i.e. the stuff you are used to see on display ^^
Download all the 3 files from above.
1) Place R1.ROM into player's root [usual firmware upgrade, if have no idea what this means, please surf the dedicated post]
2) Unzip rockbox.zip to player's root.
3) Copy the file rockbox.sh into newly created .rockbox folder, located in player's root, unzipped from the previous step
4) Reboot. Wait for the firmware upgrade (only once)
5) Enjoy rockbox!
6) If you want to use OF you need either to hold Power button until OF is started, otherwise just delete/rename .rockbox folder to get "automatic" OF boot.
7) USB connection can be used from Safe Mode or OF. To start safe mode, player needs to be completely off (i.e. you shutted it down from rockbox OR you pressed the reset hole after shutting down OF). Boot it and keep "Volume Up" key pressed, the one on the right side.

VERY IMPORTANT: to launch rockbox / safe mode you'll need to turn completely off your R1 if you were in OF. To do so just press the "reset" hole of your device!

optional) For the experts: tune the rockbox.sh file to make OF boot as default

note: radio is still disabled for now since I still need to work out the audio output for it (module works, but you cannot hear)

I hope instructions are clear, in case just poke me for clarifications
Don't care about the ROM, I will release another one hopefully smaller that aims to remove useless/deprecated stuff (DRK, cputrick) and garbage (e.g. R0 modules that samsung left there). I will also improve safe mode too

Enjoy rockbox and report any kind of problems / issues / strangeness / ideas / youwannagetacoffefromit ...

EDIT: for developers and curious people, you can fetch the patch and compile your own build for R1, everything is already in the patch. Just use the tools/configure tool in a build directory of your choiche (follow instructions on RB's wiki), select 208 as build target and type a make Then, hopefully do some magic in the code, and report it there / make a gerrit patch based on mine By the way, you need to compile the toolchain. The one that's used on YP-R0 is fine!

Last edited by Lorenz092; 02-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

All working OK on my R1.

However although my R1 will start in Safe Mode with no problems it doesn't mount on my Mac. Actually I wasn't surprised as the same thing happens with my R0.

So I booted in the OF to mount it and that worked fine once I'd reset the "MSC" mode following the loading of the new R1.ROM.

Not had much opportunity to do much with all the Rockbox settings but it all looks very good. Fast forward and rewind are a bit fiddly though as the icons are so close together. I use my R1 a lot for large Audio book and lecture files so often need to search within files that are several hours long.

Thanks for all the your work.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
Fast forward and rewind are a bit fiddly though as the icons are so close together.
Once we decide which screen orientation (portrait or landscape mode) we keep for the further port development, I'll start porting my Rockbox theme to that target. Will be more optimized than the default cabbiev2 theme with the icons so close together as you said

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
All working OK on my R1.

However although my R1 will start in Safe Mode with no problems it doesn't mount on my Mac. Actually I wasn't surprised as the same thing happens with my R0.

So I booted in the OF to mount it and that worked fine once I'd reset the "MSC" mode following the loading of the new R1.ROM.

Not had much opportunity to do much with all the Rockbox settings but it all looks very good. Fast forward and rewind are a bit fiddly though as the icons are so close together. I use my R1 a lot for large Audio book and lecture files so often need to search within files that are several hours long.

Thanks for all the your work.
Although safe mode is OT here, well, it should work...Do you plug the usb cable from the very beginning?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the guidance.

The Mac mounts the R1 so fast that I've found to get the Safe Mode to mount I have to have the Volume Up button pressed before I insert the USB lead. It then starts up and mounts in Safe Mode correctly.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM

Great, in fact it was strange

Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM

I've now had a decent amount of time to try out Rockbox on my R1. I've listened to several long lectures and some music and have had no problems and the sound seems to me to be identical to the OF.

I experimented with some of the settings which I couldn't resist trying out but regretted changing the Touch Screen setting to "3x3 Grid". I'd no idea what it might do but discovered that it rendered the interface unusable. I had to reset the R1 to get things back to normal. So if anyone else is tempted to change settings they don't need or understand I'd recommend leaving that one alone.

Looking forward to future developments.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Samsung Moderator

The 3x3 grid mode splits your screen into 9 invisible touchscreen areas corresponding to virtual keys (up, down, left, right etc).

It's basically made for using themes that are not originally made for a touchscreen target.
For example, the iPod Video and the Cowon D2 both have a 320*240 screen but only the Cowon D2 has a touchscreen. So if you want to use a theme made for iPod Video (that means, without touch tags in the theme code) on the Cowon D2, you have to use the 3x3 grid mode.

The default cabbiev2 theme on R1 is made for a touchscreen target, that's why you can and should use the "Absolute Point" mode.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 AM

Hi, I basically created this account to thank you..Lorenz. I always thought that my R1 was junk until I found this thread.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnusmus View Post
Hi, I basically created this account to thank you..Lorenz. I always thought that my R1 was junk until I found this thread.
Glad you liked this
Unfortunately at the moment I'm pretty busy with other stuff but I will resume this project

Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
Glad you liked this
Unfortunately at the moment I'm pretty busy with other stuff but I will resume this project
When will we test the next version?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 AM

When I'll release it

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Smile

Thanks a bunch for your work, Lorenzo... The Rockbox porting brings a sudden lease of life to the quirky R1. Brilliant!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Is the Rockbox port recommended over 4.00? I still use 3.04, and think about upgrading to 4.00 or this Rockbox port. Or should I upgrade to 4.00 and then install the Rockbox port?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Samsung Moderator

The ROM in this thread is dualboot compatible. That means you can either boot the OF (based on latest fw 3.07) or Rockbox at startup (see step 6 in Instructions). You don't need fw 4.00 to install Rockbox.

The Rockbox port is still to be considered as "beta" but it's already quite usable and worth the try. If you don't like it, you can still boot OF anyway.

Lorenzo is quite busy right now but he'll probably resume the port this summer

Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Is this project still alive? I buyed a new R1 and reading the rockbox.sh script I saw an error in line 33: amixer cset numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Master Power witch' 2
You wrote witch instead of Switch, will this make some features unusable?