android
Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Default [SOLVED] Cannot create playlists!

Hello,

Im using rockbox on my sansa clip zip with latest firmware on the sticky.

I cannot create files/directories playlists. I can only add to a "dynamic" playlist. But, cannot make a new one in "playlist catalogue". When I type a name and long select, it just goes back and a playlist never gets created.

I wish to sort some songs in different playlists, but I can only add to a dynamic playlist.

I could appreciate if someone can address this issue and sorry if this was a wrong forum to post, new guy here

Cheers!

Last edited by metalthrasher; 04-14-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: solved ..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

You would need to post the details of what you're doing for anyone to attempt to help. Saying that it's "with latest firmware on the sticky" doesn't let anyone know which build you're using. It's probably the most recent development build but confirming that by posting the version informatio given in the System=>Rockbox Info screen might help. Also posting exactly which screen you're in when you use the context menu to get to the virtual keyboard might help. Listing the key presses you used to get there might also help. The more details you post in a way that puts someone in the spot where you are when you run into the problems, the more likely it is someone will be able to help.

The one thing I ran into this sounds like it might be is that the Playlists folder I expected to be there didn't exist for some reason. I may have even deleted it, I can't remember. I used the context menu to reset the playlist catalog. That created the needed folder and the playlists saved as expected.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here. I'm just saying that following the steps listed in the manual with the build that's current at this moment, f5a5b94-130411, it's working here. To me that means the feature isn't broken, there's something different in your setup or what you're doing that it isn't working for you.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Hi skip252,

Thanks for your reply. I just upgraded my clip zip via rockbox utility to the latest development version "490d74-130412" and still cant create any playlist.

This is what I'm doing :

while playing a song, Im holding the select button to the context menu. Then select the playlist catalogue, then select Add to New Playlist, modify the directory as "//Playlists/fav" and then hold the select button to get back to the playing menu.

Im not getting any popup that a new playlist is created. I can only add songs to the "dynamic playlist".

So, if I make a playlist in computer, transfer it to /playlists in clipzip, then can I modify that playlist from clipzip?

How can I add more playlists?

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

If I'm getting this right the problem seems to be how you're naming the playlist. The path to the file has to be correct for the playlist to save as expected.
Code:
//Playlists/fav
won't save.
Code:
//Playlists/fav.m3u8
should.That's assuming there's a Playlists folder in the root of the internal memory. If you reset the Playlist Catalog that should create the Playlists folder if it doesn't yet exist. Once it's in place and you name your playlists, making sure to use .m3u8 as the extension, things should work as you expect.

Playlists created on the player can be modified using external software but the file paths need to be corrected if you save them to the internal memory and the playlist includes files that are on the card. marc2003 was kind enough to create a set of directions on how to do that fairly easily using foobar2000. Those directions are here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...46&postcount=9

I used that set of directions until Rockbox was updated to recognize files from both memories when the save location is the external card. After that I found that I could use any software that could create a .m3u or .m3u8 playlist and save to a folder on the external card. Almost all decent music management software is able to create .m3u lists so there's a good chance whatever you use now will work.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 AM

Now, its working after adding an extension. The manual needs to be updated with the same..

Thanks for that link there, I'll look into it

Regards!

Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Administrator

The extension .m3u8 is always there by default on my installation. The virtual keyboard opens to whatever folder I've set as the playlist folder with the extension as part of the opening screen. In my case that's
Code:
</microSD1>/Playlists/.m3u8
It's been like the changes were made that simplified saving playlists came in about a year and a half back.

Before then playlists saved to the root of the main memory instead of a Playlists folder you could designate. That caused dozens of "where are my playlists?" threads. The developers finally got tired of that and changed it to the current setup. I didn't like it at the time but I've noticed the questions about saving playlists dropped off quite a bit after that.

I don't know what happened in your case. You may want to look into changing your virtual keyboard layout if it's a visibility problem. Directions on how to do that are here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LoadableKeyboardLayouts. I don't believe it's possible to make it comfortable entering text on a screen that size but a a more visible layout that eliminates the characters you don't often use helps.