android
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Shelf Systems/Docks

I am looking for a great dock or shelf system, that is on the smaller/compact side of size and looking to spend no more than $170.00; I want to be able to hook my sansa clipzip up to it so it has to have a jack for that. Any ideas?

Or a Internet radio with a line in and good sound quality.

Last edited by tisumner; 04-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Hello? Jk

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the Clip Zip doesn't dock, any small speaker system with an AUX jack should work (as far as simply playing audio from it is concerned). I own the Soundfreaq Sound Kick SFQ-04 and the G-Project G-BOOM, and while they might fall into a slightly different category (portable, battery-powered Bluetooth speaker systems), I'd say they also overlap with the type of setup you're asking about -- and they both sound excellent for what they are. Both have AUX-in capability (which is how I almost always use them), a USB jack to charge devices when connected to wall power, and cost $100.

The Sound Kick is a little more compact, with a more modern/streamlined aesthetic. On battery power only, its volume doesn't get especially loud, but it will fill a small room (e.g my kitchen while I do the dishes). On AC power, it can get appreciably louder. Audio is clear and uncongested across the spectrum; the bass, while certainly good for a system of this size, is more on the "present but polite" side of things (as form factor dictates). No thumping subwooferiness here, but that's the kind of sacrifice any speaker system in this category will face.

The G-BOOM, which was just released and is (I believe) currently only available in limited quantities at brick-and-mortar Target stores, is a little bigger and heavier, with a built-in-handle and a more rugged design. It will go much louder -- on battery power alone -- than the SFQ-04. Sound-wise, it does have fuller bass, with a little more kick, but it's still limited by its size and those darn laws of physics. As with the SFQ-04, the rest of the audio spectrum is clean, clear, and well represented. I'm honestly very pleased with both systems.

If you're looking for a less portability-minded solution and want something to just install on your shelf and leave there, I'd recommend investigating some of Soundfreaq's other offerings. From what I've read, their entire brand seems to offer considerable bang for the buck.

Last edited by epithetless; 04-23-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Pics! From da webz!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@epithetless: Great suggestions!!! And, here they are online from Target: http://www.target.com/c/electronics/...y%20category_2

I think I might get me a G-Boom for working out in the garage. This look killer,...and the price is right!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
@epithetless: Great suggestions!!! And, here they are online from Target: http://www.target.com/c/electronics/...y%20category_2

I think I might get me a G-Boom for working out in the garage. This look killer,...and the price is right!!!
Thanks, DS. I got the G-BOOM with my workplace in mind, so I could carry my music with me from room to room while I install art. It suits this purpose admirably.

(As for the Target link...note that, for the G-BOOM, it says "not sold online"...)

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I still recommend this.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MSS5YS/

DSCN0284.jpg

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the Creative D100. It has bluetooth and a Aux in. It also will run on batteries or ac power. I think it has good sound and it will work well in a medium sized room. It also got a good review at Cnet

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-spe...-34130382.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM

Thank you guys for all your help! Due to my mom's being very OCD and not wanting "some speaker" sitting out, I have passed on getting that. She suggested I get some better PC speakers...but if I do get anything, I think I will get something like the Logitech Squeezebox- Stylish, small and multiuse.