android
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 AM

Default YP-R0 not charging. Battery replacement ?

My partner dropped her yp-ro in the bath!.
It was quickly scooped out and she said switched off.
I left it on top of a raidiator for a couple of days to dry out before attempting to boot it.
When it did boot - it went to the charging battery screen even though it was not connected to a power source. From there I could boot the player into play mode and everything seemed to work BUT when I tried to switch off, it jus went back to "charging". I tried a reset but it did the same on boot up.
I left it on the radiator for another day and then tried to boot it. This time it came up with a message saying it had insufficient battery and was shutting down.
I therefore tried to charge it but though the machine works when connected to a usb power source, as soon as I disconnect it, it says it has no power and needs to shut down.
I have dismantled the machine and note that the battery does not warm up when under charge so I am assuming I need to replace the battery.
Any ideas where to get one / what type it is - there is little information on the battery itself other than the rating.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM

You cannot be sure that the problem is the battery, you may need to desolder cables of the battery, cleaning them carefully, as well as cleaning + eventually resolder a little the usb port

Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 AM

I have had a very close look at the solder points near the battery and near the usb connector and they look fine.

Considering what happened to the unit - surely it is more likely the battery?

After some research I suspect that the Q2 Battery may fit. It appears to be similar dimensions - same voltage but 620mah rather than 600mah
Any views on this?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Replaced the battery and the unit now charges - hurray.
However it will not switch off - it goes to the charging screen animation when you try to power down - even when not connected to a charger.
Also when you disconnect from a PC it does not detect that you have disconnected - have to do a hard reset to get past it.

Any ideas ?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 AM

OK managed to get it to power down by holding the power off button while it drops to "charging" then cycles to Main menu and then switches off. It takes about 8 seconds.
When I switch back on it first goes to "charging" again so I have to press switch on again to get it to go to menu.
Better than a dead player though.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

Great but maybe you should rather look for a cheap R0 on a second-hand website like ebay

Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM

Well I bought the replacement battery on Ebay for less than 10 and it is still working as I described. Plays perfectly and charges fine. Fairly easy to replace the battery and resolder.
It would be nice if it would switch off and reboot easier but it does work

Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Samsung Moderator

Good to know

Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM

The original battery of my R0 seems to die - it lasts only for a few hours.

Are there any replacement batteries which will fit into our beloved player?

@mkcheznous: Which type of battery did you buy on eBay?

Edit: Do you think this item might fit?

Edit 2: The above mentioned Q1/Q2 battery has dimensions of 40 x 45 x 3 mm. Will this fit into the R0?

Edit 3: OK, I just removed the aluminum cover of my R0 and measured the battery dimensions. It's a few mm larger than the Q1/Q2 replacement battery, but I couldn't determine the exact height of the R0 battery since it's glued into the player. So I think I'll give it a try and order one...

Last edited by stbi; 12-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Hi,

today my Samsung YP-Q1/Q2 replacement battery arrived. Despite the higher nominal capacity (620 vs. 600 mAh), it's a bit smaller than the original YP-R0 battery. The original battery was glued into the player but could be removed easily with a thin knife.

Here are some images of the "surgery":

Before replacement:

After replacement:

It works! :-)

I'm curious for how long the new battery will last. The old battery was empty after only 2 hrs of usage...

Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Samsung Moderator

Nice! Thank you for the info and the pics

edit: custom lebellium theme + german RDS hehe^^

Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 PM

It's not RDS but only the station name from my FM presets file for Munich.
(Without connected headphones, there's no reception - thus no RDS. )

Here are some RDS examples:

Note the inverse "?" inside the diamond - these should be the German "umlauts" and . Is it the same with the French characters , , etc.?

Last edited by stbi; 12-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old Today, 04:51 AM

Hi stbi, thanks for sharing the info on battery replacement, invaluable!
I'm now in need of replacing my YP-R0 battery, and as I've seen that it's still available on the site you linked, I'd like to know if you're satisfied with the new battery, or experienced any problems. If everything has been ok, I'll go replacing. Can you let me know?

Old Today, 05:18 AM

Hi SolomonKane,

yes, my new battery seems to work well, it lasts for several days (sometimes a week) before I have to charge it. Only when I tuned the CPU frequency to full speed (532 MHz) to get rid of the "channel swap bug" in RockBox, even the new the battery was almost empty after 1 day.

Stefan

Old Today, 05:45 AM

Ok! Great news!!
Many many thanks for your feedback, I'll soon order the battery, or maybe two ones... I know lithium batteries suffer from loss of charging capacity even if not used, but I think it would be nice having a spare battery for keeping alive this player as much as possible, given the features it now can offer, (Multiboot with RockBox), and has always offered, (very good sound and video quality, FLAC compatible)...
Thanks again