android
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Need a good MP3 Player

Hey, I have a iPod, and I hate it. I'm finally sick of iTunes. So to be clear, if it has a similar mechanism of copying music through some player software then I'm not interested.

I want to just copy my music on the drive using USB, good old times.
Preferably Plays (priority ordered first to last): MP3, WMA, WAV

I want to be able to make playlists. If at all possible, it would be nice if the player in question would just play playlist files such as WPL or M3U.

Personally, I'm kind of getting sick of all these companies trying to keep these things within their software, or force you to use their platform. I prefer to just have a playlist that I can copy.

I know it's not just as easy as that, but I'm kind of sick of having to re-create my playlists over and over, and just re-copying files from itunes library etc. so sick of that. While there's perfectly reasonable formats available.

But it's been years since I had a mp3 player like this, so I have no idea what to buy.
Also, I remember jerky controls and music that used to have those pauses in between them when you switch songs... preferably not obviously.

Capacity: 12GB or more, no expansive slots needed, just something that can play my music.
Budget: 0-200€ (I prefer lower if possible, but 200 is around the maximum, it depends if it's worth the extra or not)
Use: Working out, Traveling
Type/Design: DAP
Display: Maybe (usually for playlists a requirement)
UI/Controls: Tactical Buttons preferred, perhaps touch, but not if jerky
Battery Life: Should last about 1 hour minimum, preferably 2hours or more.

Suggest away. Also, thanks out front!

Last edited by blaxus; 05-02-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: took out swearing ;)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sansa Clip Plus or Sansa Clip Zip. Change the USB setting to MSC BEFORE copying any files. I haven't consciously used WMA or WAV files on one. Their website says "Supports MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC".

Some people have had problems creating playlists, but they work great for me. I create them using my PC AFTER the files have been copied to the player using Winamp (but not the Winamp media library).

Rockbox is an option that many people here will promote. I don't consider it necessary. Given your comments, I would guess that it won't be necessary for you.

Steve

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Thanks, SanDisk Sansa Clip+ seems like a fine choice. Has everything I need.

Didn't know SanDisk made mp3 players... 8GB seems to be the max but it has an extra Expansion slot. How does that work regarding browsing and Playing?

I'd expect it to be seamlessly. I'd be a shame if it didn't.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxus View Post
Thanks, SanDisk Sansa Clip+ seems like a fine choice. Has everything I need.

Didn't know SanDisk made mp3 players... 8GB seems to be the max but it has an extra Expansion slot. How does that work regarding browsing and Playing?

I'd expect it to be seamlessly. I'd be a shame if it didn't.
Three ways to access music....

1) imbedded tags - integration is seamless
2) folders - by definition, they are separate
3) playlists - not seamless at all, difficult to integrate songs from both memories in one playlist

one suggestion - buy a 2GB player (or 4GB if cheaper), and get a 16GB or 32GB or 64GB microSD card - ignore the internal memory

Steve

Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Administrator

You may also want to take a look at the Sony NWZ E475. It's listed as 16 GB but the user available space come in at ~12 GB. One of our members reviewed the E474 here. It's the same player in a lower capacity.

The only playlist format it supports is .PLA but you can make those with any software that is able to see the player as an MTP device. MusicBee, MediaMonkey and Winamp work well for me. I prefer MusicBee as it's in continuous development with an involved and very competent developer. The MusicBee forum is also very active and has very helpful members. It can work with files directly on a device in MTP. It's also free. (Donations accepted!)

You can also create .pla playlists on a Sony using Widows Explorer. When you right click on files and folders there's a context menu that pops up and allows you to create playlists. I find that to be handy when I'm visiting someone with a Windows machine that doesn't have a software I prefer installed.

I don't have the E475 but I have a couple of the older models and they're among my favorites. The longer battery life, better build quality and wider range of sound enhancements make me feel the higher price was a matter of paying more for a better product.

I specifically mention that model because I noticed you used the "" symbol when you set your budget. Models prior to that have a EU volume cap. Some have found the volume to be too low, others have found it to be sufficient. If you do consider a Sony and like your music loud at times it's something to keep in mind.

Steve may not have a use for Rockbox but I find it to be invaluable in increasing the playlisting capabilities of a Clip. Rockbox can create playlists on the player and just about any software that can create .m3u playlists can create playlists that combine the files from both the internal and external memories.

You can also create combined playlists directly on a Rockboxed player. That can be somewhat of a pain using the virtual keyboard of Rockbox but once I got accustomed to it I found it do-able. Not something I do often but it's handy at times.

Rockbox also allows you to avoid the database refresh that can take several minutes and makes the player unusable until it finishes. Unlike the sandisk firmware if you decide to not use the database in Rockbox it never refreshes. I find the database handy as it lets me see everything in a variety of ways. When I make changes it refreshes in the background. I can still listen to whatever I want, I just can't use the database for the few minutes the database takes to refresh. That averages under 3 minutes with a full 4 GB player and 16 GB card.

There is a definite learning curve to Rockbox. If you're interested the the link in my sig is a good place to start. Reading the manual through Browsing and Playing would give you an idea of what's involved with actually using Rockbox.

I never try to persuade anyone to use Rockbox on a Clip+. Especially without first experiencing the sandisk firmware. I think sandisk firmware is pretty decent. It doesn't really do anything wrong and is really simple to learn. My experience with people in my private life is that it usually does what they want without the additional reading and fiddling with settings Rockbox needs to get the most from it.

If you do get the Clip I'd encourage you to give the sandisk firmware a try. It may give you everything you need with no more effort that creating your playlists and enjoying them.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Three ways to access music....

1) imbedded tags - integration is seamless
2) folders - by definition, they are separate
3) playlists - not seamless at all, difficult to integrate songs from both memories in one playlist
Thanks, very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
one suggestion - buy a 2GB player (or 4GB if cheaper), and get a 16GB or 32GB or 64GB microSD card - ignore the internal memory
As I guessed as much. That's what I wanted to do but wasn't sure... thanks for clearing that up

@skip252 I'll put the Sony NWZ E475 on my watch list, seems like a good device. And I was looking mostly at Sony devices before Steve suggested the Sansa Clip+. However I think that I'm going to go with the cheaper option first.

As for the Rockbox, I am currently looking at the manuals for it. It seems really nice, but I'm going to stick to "When in doubt ..."

I might attempt to check it out when the Clip's buttons or other hardware starts to work improperly.

Thanks for all the help guys.
So much information in this great community, definitively bookmarked!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I might attempt to check it out when the Clip's buttons or other hardware starts to work improperly.
If you're going to check it out, do it before (or if) this happens. Rockbox is alternative 'firmware'. Firmware will not compensate for (or fix) hardware issues, like button, volume controls, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
If you're going to check it out, do it before (or if) this happens.
That's the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Rockbox is alternative 'firmware'. Firmware will not compensate for (or fix) hardware issues, like button, volume controls, etc.
I know that.

As an update, I actually went with the Clip+ and got a 16GB MicroSD slot, which ended up being cheaper then the actual Clip at (17)

55€ for a 4GB as they didn't have the 2GB models, they said they don't sell them because the price of the 2GB models are too close to the 4GB models thus they don't really sell well. 49€ for the 2GB, so it makes sense. I checked another store before I purchased it but they didn't even have as much choice as the other store did so I went back and got it there.

Also, perhaps I got a newer model of the Clip Plus but it does come with Volume buttons.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Also, perhaps I got a newer model of the Clip Plus but it does come with Volume buttons.
They all do. It's a rocker switch on the left side.