android
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Default Extend Life of a Rockbox'd Clip Zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Love the title ... I know I "last longer with rockbox"

IMHO it does last longer if you just use for music playback. I think this because previous tests (read around the rockbox forums) and you can tweak out all the needless crap that wastes battery life on the original firmware.
Hi, Walkgood I saw you mention this in another thread, was just wondering if you or anyone else could tell me what to do to extend my Clip zips life as much as possible please as I often need it alll day and it is barely making it to the end of the day as it is, what can I edit out? I use it as a music player only with occasional FM radio, everything else can go as far as Im concerned.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Administrator

The manual has guidelines to maximize battery life here http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...x16-34600013.5. There's nothing using the battery that you don't activate. If you don't turn on the radio, the equalizer, Replaygain or use the plugins they don't do anything to drain the battery.

The biggest drain on battery life is whenever the screen is activated. I don't fiddle with mine a lot but I change what's playing enough to the point it turns on the screen enough so that I don't figure to get a full day from it. I also have a fair amount of sound processing I prefer. I have Replaygain, the equalizer, crossfeed and the compressor active and they all draw some power.

With all that going on I usually get around 8 hours a charge real life use. I'm willing to trade the reduced battery life to get the sound I prefer. I just carry a spare in case I run low on battery.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Yes I think it might be the constant fiddling I do with the volume that hurts, wish there was a way to disconnect the volume controls from activating the screen...

Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Administrator

You may want to try a custom build like this one http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=538 You'll want to know that custom builds are unsupported and static.

Unsupported means if you ever have an issue you'll need to change to a Development or Release build to troubleshoot. Developers at the Rockbox project can't help you unless you update.

Custom builds are static because they have just the features that are included in the custom build. If a new feature is added you won't get it unless the person that posted the custom build updates their build.

I wouldn't let that stop you if you're interested. I've tried that build and it works in every way I've tried it. You can also update by just over writing a build at any time. If a killer feature comes along you can't live without updating doesn't take but a couple of minutes. As long as you have a copy of the custom build you can go back to it if you decide you prefer it over the update.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Oh wow thanks this could be exactly what Im looking for, just extract that zip you linked to and drag it to the root of the Zips internal memory and that will be it?

I know if this works it will be exactly what Im looking for because I do an hour on my bike without touching the controls and it only uses 5-10% of the battery, compared to an hour listening to music on my couch where Im always messing with volume etc that could eat 25-30%, thanks a million for your help skip252...

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Good info skip252...I may try this as well. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Oh crap just realized the one you linked to is for the clip + not the Clip Zip, what do I do?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM

Nevermind, that was just a version he did for the Clip+ as a favour to someone, the Zip version was back a page:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=538

Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Sorry for the confusion. I've fixed the link.

It's a good thing is that's hard to do it wrong so that it can't be fixed. Rockbox has several safeties built in to help when someone like me pulls a bonehead move like that. When you try to install a build that's meant for another player you just get an error message. All you need to do to fix things is over write the build that doesn't work with a correct version.

Being able to test drive builds by just dropping in a new one can be really handy. I keep a build that has everything set just the way I like in a folder on my players I name Just Right. That lets me fall back to that if I update to a build that's bugged. I delete the buggy build and then copy\paste the one I know works right using the context menus inside Rockbox. When I reboot and I'm back where I started.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM

No worries and thanks again, i think you've saved me the price of another player with this, will do a full test when I get my Clip back

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM

This worked out to be exactly what I asked for, havent done a full battery test yet but the backlights staying off on VOL+/- and NEXT/PREV, took a 30 minute walk shuffling constantly at lunch today after installing and only used about 5% of the battery so I think Im good, big thanks to Skip252 for the help.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Thank the people that did the heavy lifting. I didn't write the patch or compile the build you're using, I just pointed out where they were posted.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM

I have patched the latest source from today (5a1e697-130530) with the last resynced bl_on_keypress patch that adds the option "Backlight on volume control" to Settings->General->Display->LCD Settings.

This should improve battery life significantly for those people that constantly fiddle with their volume controls on their Clip Zip. This does not contain the modified patch that adds the SKIPNEXT and SKIPPREV. If anyone is interested, I can build that too.

Download here

Last edited by RBX; 05-30-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi RBX, thnks a million for your work, Im using the rockbox-sansaclipzip-9add11dM-130401.zip as linked in this thread, has much changed between the two that would justify upgrading in your opinion?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Hi RBX, thnks a million for your work, Im using the rockbox-sansaclipzip-9add11dM-130401.zip as linked in this thread, has much changed between the two that would justify upgrading in your opinion?
Major changes since 4/1:
2013-05-16: New high quality resampler for non-44.1k files

Merged patches:
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:merged,n,z

Anything else is subjective, but I have noticed that connecting via USB is less buggy in the newer builds.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBX View Post
This should improve battery life significantly for those people that constantly fiddle with their volume controls on their Clip Zip. This does not contain the modified patch that adds the SKIPNEXT and SKIPPREV. If anyone is interested, I can build that too.
Well if it's an option too, I would be interested. I have an AKG K171 and it has big drives which love to eat battery. Your build is working fine, thanks for that.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Procured a new Clip Zip.

Latest build:
f8785c8 (6-16-2014)
latest_bl_keypress patch
Download

This build will disable the backlight from turning on when "Backlight on volume control" in Settings->General->Display->LCD Settings is set to No and the following buttons are pressed:

Volume Up/Down
Previous Track
Next Track
Seek Right
Seek Left
Play
Pause

However, if the backlight is currently on, any button press will reset the countdown timer.

Enjoy.