android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Here's how you destroy your SGP 4.0 (US only).

The International recovery ROMs contain two interesting files: boot.bin and sbl.bin. I know sbl.bin is the secondary bootloader and I'm guessing the first is most likely the bootloader. Flash that ROM and you now have completely recovered your non-US SGP4.0.

Guess which two files are nowhere to be found on any of the US recovery ROMs. That's right, boot.bin and sbl.bin. That means if you want to recover your US SGP 4.0 after stupidly flashing an International version, it isn't going to happen. Ever. Your touchscreen and capacitive keys will never be initialized properly.

So don't do that. There is a thread on xda about this from a year ago with no solution.
Well this is to be used in case of extreme emergency like with a hard brick. The reason of why there's no bootloader for the us device is because they never received a full update via Kies, so they're stuck with the basic files...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Well this is to be used in case of extreme emergency like with a hard brick. The reason of why there's no bootloader for the us device is because they never received a full update via Kies, so they're stuck with the basic files...
Yeah, the "[STOCK ROM] Full Recovery For Samsung Galaxy Player" thread at xda-developers is misleading because the US versions posted in it aren't really full recovery ROMs. I'd post something in the thread but I don't need a bunch of teenagers telling me how stupid I already know I am.

The only option is for me to try to reverse-engineer the initialzation of the US capacitive keys and the touchscreen and add this to a new kernel. Normal Linux kernels are completely responsible for initializing all devices. Android kernels obviously let the bootloader do this (it is probably propreitary to the manufacturer anyway) so they're stuck with whatever the devices do once the kernel starts executing.

I can see this with CWM recovery's key test function which simply doesn't see the capacitive key events at all which means the device is simply not enabled. If anyone happens to know which driver in the kernel the SGP 4.0 uses for these events, I could quickly attempt to make a kernel that works.

CWM recovery does use the power key for "Enter" so I did get something to work.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM

I complied Steve's kernel (very easy!) with some debugging prints and determined that the device driver for the touchscreen flashes firmware to a chip when it loads. Unfortunately it looks like it gets the firmware from somewhere in the bootloader area (it may be proprietary to Samsung). The data in this area is now wrong on my device for the U.S. kernel so the driver immediately fails and doesn't load. That's why my touchscreen on my device does nothing with U.S. kernels.

But it does work upside down with Euro kernels so if I have nothing better to do, I'll try to get the device driver in a Euro kernel to work right side up. I can't wreck the device any worse so I might as well learn some Android kernel development.

I don't understand the buttons yet. The buttons are the only define change between Steve's US and Euro kernels so it seems like they should work with a U.S. kernel assuming they're TOTALLY different from the touchscreen. It's possible that it doesn't bother activating the buttons when the U.S. driver fails to flash the touchscreen chip.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Is this the best kernel still for the YP-G1? I'm gonna avoid the rom as I prefer just the hardware related boosts.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarij View Post
Is this the best kernel still for the YP-G1? I'm gonna avoid the rom as I prefer just the hardware related boosts.
Not for well over a year now, infact we actually have a Cyanogen Mod 10.2 (android 4.3 Jellybean) available now, but even if you want to keep to gingerbread you'll want to get the Terrasilent kernel. Truthfully it was never "the best" just the First, don't get me wrong it was an important step and the second gen of stuff was based off it, but we are so much further along now.

CM 10.2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2386992

Terrasilent: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1643384 Even Terrasilent is over a year old now, but it is much better then Steves and some people are reporting issues with flashing the newer ROMs using Steves but not having issues when using Terrasilent, it is considered the kernel to be on if on gingerbread, plus it has a cool Doctor Who splash screen.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 AM

hallo ich habe ein problem ich habe Den Samsung Galaxy S YP-GI1 Player Wifi 4.2
nun zu meinem problem beim Flashen iss meine Freundin an das Kabel Gekommen und das hatte nen Wackler und nun iss der Flashvorgang abgebrochen worden
Habe versucht in den Download manager zu kommen Suppi Funzt noch nur habe ich das Problem das ich nichtsmehr flashen kann es heisst immer Fail bei Odin .
Habe alles versucht was ich konnte sogar mit Heimdall aber immer wenn ich nen kernen flashen will kommt FAIL oder auch ne ganze ROM es kommt immer wieder FAIL
kann mir wer helfen ????
ach ja wenn ich es anschalte kommt nur ein bild mit Bitte Bitte sagt mir man kann es nochmal retten

hi i have a problem I have the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.2 YP-GI1 Player
Now to my problem when flashing my girlfriend Down to the cable and it had been a wobbler and now the flash process is interrupted

Tried to get into the Download Manager Super Funzt yet, but I have the problem that I can flash anything it always means fail in Odin.

Tried everything I could, even with Heimdall but whenever I want to flash a nuclei is FAIL or an entire ROM, it always comes back FAIL

can anyone help me??

oh yes when I turn it comes just a picture with image Please Please tell me you can save it again :-(

please excuse my english but I had to take googel translator

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi:

Using google translate was cool. I'm able to figure out a flash got interrupted and your SGP 4.2 won't take another to straighten out the problem. Sorry to hear about that.

I don't have the 4.2 or the knowledge to tell you how to recover. Everything I've done for my SGP 4.0 was done after reading about my device in the all in one thread on xda developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1720457

That's were I'd go and read, read, read about how to recover your SGP 4.2. If you don't find exact directions on how to recover I'd ask including just what's happened and what you've done to try to recover. I've found that if the developers and members there see that you've done your homework they can be very helpful. If not they don't see that there's a good chance you get ignored or told to read more.

Best of luck in getting this fixed. Come back and check in. There's a chance someone that knows more than me will see this and be able to give you just what you need.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Default 3.6??

Can I use this with my Samsung Galaxy 3.6?

I've searched through the thread and found one mention of the galaxy 3.6 player, but the reply stated no, followed by stating that the DAC may be different. But it is not, it is a wolfson DAC and the same one I believe as on the 4.0. Now I think there are some processor and other hardware differences, so that being said, with a compatible DAC, is it possible to load this and use it on my Samsung Galaxy player 3.6 (U.S. version)?
Thanks.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Administrator

No. Roms and kernels aren't interchangeable. You'll likely brick yours trying to install something written for another player. Go to the SGP All In One thread find yours, read up on it then you'll know what to do.

The specific info on the hardware in each is also there. You'll find it's a wolfson DAC but a different one. Not that it makes a difference to the sound. They both test so close to each other that you won't hear a difference.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Ok thanks. but the DAC is in fact the same as the 4.0 according to that thread: it's the Wolfson Microelectronics WM8994 for both devices, but it sounds like since there are other hardware differences then, I can't use this kernel. I really wanted to get it for Voodoo sound since I read that it was an easy way to get it installed (you wouldn't happen to know if I can use voodoo sound on my 3.6 do you? I wonder if I made a mistake getting the 3.6 instead of the 4.0-seems like more stuff is made for that model). I am new to android and am really having a rough time getting this thing to sound as good as my old ipod touch and getting into the customizations to maximize battery life and all that.