android
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Default Were the designers of the Fuze+

put to death. Please tell me they were at least fired and blackballed. I have never seen such an abomination in design.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I've moved this to it's own thread. It had nothing to do with the Fuze+ users guide.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM

So. I've purchased it to replace my E280 that was great but an unseen pothole caused me fall and mess up the lcd. So is that replaceable? I assumed not. Any way I had already bought a new fuze+. So let's see what the possibilities are. I guess you can't play by album or I have yet to figure that out yet. Navigation is atrocious.
I'm too scared to put Rockbox on it in fear that I'll brick it. I've had rockbox do some nasty things on other players. So can the fuze+ take a 32g card w/out rockbox?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Samsung Moderator

Why do people always get stuck to their own narrow experience?
Installing Rockbox won't brick your device, unless you are very very unlucky.

Touchpad behavior is terrible in OF, you'll be obliged to use Rockbox which handles it better.
But Rockbox or not, it's still a touchpad... that's why Sandisk failed with this device.

IMO Touchpad is much more problematic than design.

edit: it has a microSDHC slot so of course it supports 32GB cards in OF and RB.

Last edited by lebellium; 05-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Installing Rockbox won't brick your device, unless you are very very unlucky. "

I have a feeling Rockbox has improved greatly over the years. I do believe early versions of Rockbox were much more problematic than the current ones.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucesup View Post
Any way I had already bought a new fuze+. So let's see what the possibilities are. I guess you can't play by album or I have yet to figure that out yet. Navigation is atrocious.
I'm too scared to put Rockbox on it in fear that I'll brick it. I've had rockbox do some nasty things on other players. So can the fuze+ take a 32g card w/out rockbox?
I don't have a Fuze+ but I have the original Clip, Clip+, Clip Zip, and original Fuze. All can play by album, IF (and this is a big IF) the mp3 tags are correct. You have to use the database which is built from the tags not the file names. Probably choose Music, then Album, then pick from the list of albums.

If you have each album in a separate folder, then accessing by folder should also work.

Steve

Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Administrator

There's several different teardowns and how to replace the screen tutorials around for the E2xx series sansa players. The ones I've found when I google sansa "e260 teardown" make it seem very simple with no need for any specialized tools. It seems all you need is a working screen and a few simple tools. I've taken them apart to repair scroll wheels and fix headphone jacks but I haven't replaced a screen. If it's a easy as those repairs were it shouldn't be hard once you find directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I have a feeling Rockbox has improved greatly over the years. I do believe early versions of Rockbox were much more problematic than the current ones.
Not particularly. I've been running Rockbox on different devices for around 5 years now with no major problems. You probably saw more reports of problems in the past but if you check them you'll see most of them are user error or misunderstanding.

I have a Rockboxed E260 with a build on it from 2009. I keep it on there because it's able to use some themes from that time that are no longer available. There's tons of features that have been introduced since that time so I wouldn't recommend that any one use it unless it's for oddity sake like I do.

The point is that from all the way back then until now I've used Rockbox on a number of different sansas with no bricks and no problems that fixing the file system or a reboot wouldn't fix. That's not to say that it can't happen. I just think that if a reasonable amount of caution is used that having Rockbox installed shouldn't be a problem and it's been that way for quite a while.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I have a Rockboxed E260 with a build on it from 2009. I keep it on there because it's able to use some themes from that time that are no longer available. There's tons of features that have been introduced since that time so I wouldn't recommend that any one use it unless it's for oddity sake like I do.
Aren't they somewhere here? http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WpsSansaE200
I can have a look at the code, maybe it's easy to adapt it to the current skin engine

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

They were taken down due to copyright violations. Some of the graphics and other elements were lifted directly from licensed sources like this one Acotil. Even if they were updated to use the new skin engine they still couldn't go on the theme site.

Besides, I'm using your theme on the E250 I use. The one that has the old build and themes is a sentimental fave for my wife and she just doesn't want me to update it. It looks and works the way it did when I first gave it to her and that's good enough for her.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
They were taken down due to copyright violations. Some of the graphics and other elements were lifted directly from licensed sources like this one Acotil. Even if they were updated to use the new skin engine they still couldn't go on the theme site.

Besides, I'm using your theme on the E250 I use. The one that has the old build and themes is a sentimental fave for my wife and she just doesn't want me to update it. It looks and works the way it did when I first gave it to her and that's good enough for her.
Oh ok, everything is clear now

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"Installing Rockbox won't brick your device, unless you are very very unlucky. "

I think this is the obligatory "CYA" clause.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM

Default Touchpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Why do people always get stuck to their own narrow experience?
Installing Rockbox won't brick your device, unless you are very very unlucky.

Touchpad behavior is terrible in OF, you'll be obliged to use Rockbox which handles it better.
But Rockbox or not, it's still a touchpad... that's why Sandisk failed with this device.

IMO Touchpad is much more problematic than design.

edit: it has a microSDHC slot so of course it supports 32GB cards in OF and RB.
One should never have to laugh cynically while spending the amount of time that I've spent trying to navigate to a spot in a book.

The audiobooks section doesn't load with Overdrive. I have to nav books thru music.

Sounds like I can load up a 32g card w/out RB. I'm not opposed to RB but have it stuck on an old player despite formating it. While the brick managed to not be permanent, I've read other experiences that ring realistic and similar to my own. Based on the despicable nav issues, I probably will eventually but will just go OF for now.

What's w/the generic low-end micro SDHC cards? Will they last at all?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not opposed to RB but have it stuck on an old player despite formating it. While the brick managed to not be permanent, I've read other experiences that ring realistic and similar to my own.
Following the directions you were given here http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,35631.0.html instead of formatting will remove Rockbox permanently. In that thread the Rockbox devs asked you to be specific as to what you were doing. You never were or showed any indication you followed the directions given. Now you say Rockbox is "stuck" because you can't get it off doing something other that what is known to remove the Rockbox bootloader.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

The audiobooks section doesn't load with Overdrive. I have to nav books thru music.
The audiobooks section doesn't load in Overdrive without using the advance options on any of the Sansa players.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Disassembly to blow out dust

Quote:
There's several different teardowns and how to replace the screen tutorials around for the E2xx series sansa players. The ones I've found when I google sansa "e260 teardown" make it seem very simple with no need for any specialized tools. It seems all you need is a working screen and a few simple tools. I've taken them apart to repair scroll wheels and fix headphone jacks but I haven't replaced a screen. If it's a easy as those repairs were it shouldn't be hard once you find directions.Not particularly. I've been running Rockbox on different devices for around 5 years now with no major problems. You probably saw more reports of problems in the past but if you check them you'll see most of them are user error or misunderstanding.

The point is that from all the way back then until now I've used Rockbox on a number of different sansas with no bricks and no problems that fixing the file system or a reboot wouldn't fix. That's not to say that it can't happen. I just think that if a reasonable amount of caution is used that having Rockbox installed shouldn't be a problem and it's been that way for quite a while.
is different than replacing the LCD. I've taken them apart and the LCD is a complicated solder. How do u fix the headphone jack?