android
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Volume limit in NWZ-E474

If I buy the sony walkman in US does it have volume restriction??
I bought it here in Spain and I use ATH M50 headphones at 25 / 30 volume, after some minutes my ears are not comfortable with the listening.
I'm thinking about returning it and buy the same model to a US seller in ebay or amazon.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

According to the manual the EU models aren't volume restricted in the same way they once were. They can now be turned up as loud as any other once an alarm beeps and you turn it off. It resets when you power down the player and has to be turned up again when you turn it on again. That's different from the older models that couldn't be turned up to a higher volume at all.

I can't see how increasing the volume is going to help if you say the current volume settings are enough already to cause discomfort. If you're looking to change the sound you need to use the EQ or change headphones.

From your other posts you seem to be trying to get a subwoofer type thump from a Sony and a set of studio monitors. It's been my experience that isn't going to happen. The M50 are bassier than some other studio monitors like the Sony V6 but they aren't really meant to provide a basshead experience. Sony's ClearBass also isn't going to reach as deep as what you might want. It's not meant to. It allows some increase in bass but it's mainly to allow an increase in bass with relatively low levels of distortion.

As far as what Clearbass does you may want to look at this thread. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69983 As far as I can hear it's not so much a bass boost as some type of DSP being applied that emphasizes bass. The result gives more bass but not the type of heavy thump that would really satisfy a basshead.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 AM

thanks a lot man.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
According to the manual the EU models aren't volume restricted in the same way they once were. They can now be turned up as loud as any other once an alarm beeps and you turn it off. It resets when you power down the player and has to be turned up again when you turn it on again. That's different from the older models that couldn't be turned up to a higher volume at all.

I can't see how increasing the volume is going to help if you say the current volume settings are enough already to cause discomfort. If you're looking to change the sound you need to use the EQ or change headphones.

From your other posts you seem to be trying to get a subwoofer type thump from a Sony and a set of studio monitors. It's been my experience that isn't going to happen. The M50 are bassier than some other studio monitors like the Sony V6 but they aren't really meant to provide a basshead experience. Sony's ClearBass also isn't going to reach as deep as what you might want. It's not meant to. It allows some increase in bass but it's mainly to allow an increase in bass with relatively low levels of distortion.

As far as what Clearbass does you may want to look at this thread. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69983 As far as I can hear it's not so much a bass boost as some type of DSP being applied that emphasizes bass. The result gives more bass but not the type of heavy thump that would really satisfy a basshead.

the thing that's getting me mad is why my old inovixeu ipocket sounded so bassy great. it has to be the eq. And my laptop itunes player sounds great in bass too. Maybe I should get ipod..

Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So, use the EQ. What's the issue with it,...that means the ipocket had a bass boost setting on that wasn't user adjustable,...

Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 AM

yeah but i don't know how to change the sony eq to make it bassier. I've tried putting the clear bass higher but it loses in other details.
Conclusion is..inovixeau did a fucking great player back in the day.
Bad news is that the company dissapeared.
I think I'm gonna return the sony and think a bout what player I should buy.