android
Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Default Problem with portable setup w/ Clip Zip Rockbox

I purchased a speaker and an mp3 player specifically for work at a warehouse where I wouldn't be too bothered if things were dropped on cement. The speaker is excellent, an ONN mini-cube speaker that runs on AAA's, but plays for 20+ hours and the volume is excellent. I decided to go with a Sansa Clip Zip for many good reasons, but noticed a huge problem when I tried to play through this speaker.

What I am trying to do is find out what went wrong and why. First of all, I have many mp3 players, one being of the excellent Sony NWZ series. This Sony plays perfectly with the speaker. High volume, just sounds fantastic, but not something I want to bust at work. The clip zip on the other hand sounds somewhat muted with interference and the volume constantly cuts out if the zip is playing at an audible volume. At a high volume I just get silence with little blips of music.

What is causing this? Is there something I can replace or a setting I can change somewhere? This is the ultimate setup for me, but it is messing up in the worst possible way (besides exploding).

Can someone please tell me why this is occurring? Any idea on what I can do? When preparing, I bought a huge box of AAA's because I am unable to charge a speaker via USB anywhere and I want to be able to keep music going, thus rechargeable batteries are a problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Is the Clip powered off of the speakers or just driving then through the headphone jack?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 AM

From what I understand, the clip is being powered by itself and the speaker is only being plugged into the clip via the headphone jack.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 AM

Also, I own a memorex 2gb mp3 player and a sansa fuze+ and they do the same thing. It seems to be something in common between the hardware of certain mp3 players, usually the cheaper ones. Expensive players such as the sony, ipod, and even cellphones do not have this problem. Such a shame because a rockbox'd clip zip is awesome.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The cutting out sounds like overvoltage protection cutting in. My guess is that your speakers present a DC voltage over their line in jack. A directly coupled device like the clip cannot tolerate that, whereas capacitively coupled devices won't mind.

I don't suppose you have access to a volt meter and can test if theres a DC voltage between the ground and signal lines on the speakers?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 AM

Ya I do, so I could do that. Is there something I can attach to remove the voltage from the line in jack?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM

You may have already tried this, but if you are new to SanDisk's more recent players, the headphone jack is sometimes extremely tight from the factory, and many people have encountered symptoms such as you describe (with their headphones) that was remedied by twisting and/or pushing the plug a bit further into the jack so it is fully and completely seated.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the speaker have a volume control on it?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 PM

The unit does have a volume control on it. I have not checked the DC voltage on the speaker as of yet, and I did make sure I plugged the speaker in all the way. While I have been quite busy, I do plan on checking these things this week. However, I have been looking for a new speaker to replace these. Sadly, this speaker sounds pretty good and it is very loud, unless used with certain mp3 players. USB rechargeable speakers just do not work for me. Any suggestions on something decent which could work? I need a speaker loud enough to hear from 20 ft, and lasts at least 10hrs on batteries, and works with these sansa players.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only alternative I can think of is something in the Orbit line of portable speakers from Altec Lansing. The G-Go by G-Project would undoubtedly be both louder and better-sounding, but it's only rated for 8 hours of battery life on 4 AA (not AAA) batteries.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiltsei View Post
The unit does have a volume control on it. I have not checked the DC voltage on the speaker as of yet, and I did make sure I plugged the speaker in all the way. While I have been quite busy, I do plan on checking these things this week. However, I have been looking for a new speaker to replace these. Sadly, this speaker sounds pretty good and it is very loud, unless used with certain mp3 players. USB rechargeable speakers just do not work for me. Any suggestions on something decent which could work? I need a speaker loud enough to hear from 20 ft, and lasts at least 10hrs on batteries, and works with these sansa players.

How do you set the volume on each. Do you turn the volume up all the way on the Sansa? Or do you just have it part way up?

I have a friend who had a similar problem playing her Ipod mini in her car. She lost her Ipod cannot remember which model it was and replaced it with a mini. She was get distortion playing it through cassette player . I played with it and found she had to lower the volume on the mini to stop the distortion. Maybe you will have to play with volume settings

Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
How do you set the volume on each. Do you turn the volume up all the way on the Sansa? Or do you just have it part way up?

I have a friend who had a similar problem playing her Ipod mini in her car. She lost her Ipod cannot remember which model it was and replaced it with a mini. She was get distortion playing it through cassette player . I played with it and found she had to lower the volume on the mini to stop the distortion. Maybe you will have to play with volume settings
When I experimented with this, I set at medium volume and the speaker at 80%. My Sony would sound quite a lot louder at the same speaker and player volume. With the sansa it is not loud enough to hear even at 5 feet comfortably, but I could raise the volume and it would sound like its skipping. In comparison, the Sony would sound great even at 20ft. This speaker is perfect, but I think the circuitry in the mp3 players is different enough that the Sansa cannot work with this speaker.

It is time to replace the speaker because I am noticing how fantastic this mp3 player is.

Btw thanks to all for the speaker recommendations.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM

I have the G-Project Rechargeable Bluetooth speaker and I must say that it is a beast! I use it on my bike and in my car as the primary stereo and it works wonderfully! The sound is great, great bass, a little recessed mids and highs (IMO).

Now I know you want one that takes AAA batteries but this one would be an option if you got an external USB Battery pack, to make up for the speakers only having 8 hour battery life.

Just some ideas.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 05-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Mo. FryDaddy, you're referring to the G-Grip, I take it? Yes, if an external battery pack is an option, that could open up the possibilities significantly.

This might be veering too far from the OP's intentions, but -- if you're able to recharge the device between your 10-hour shifts, Ceiltsei -- I've recently been using the JBL Charge (a Lithium-ion powered Bluetooth speaker which offers 12+ hours of playback per charge) and loving it. Reviews have been almost universally positive. (Disclaimer: While the JBL Charge features a USB port that allows it to act as a portable battery pack for other devices, it won't allow me to play from any of my Sansa devices while it is charging them; silence with staticky pops ensues. I assume this is also down to the uniquenesses of SanDisk's circuitry designs.)

Last edited by epithetless; 05-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 AM

Yes i was referring to the G-Grip, a weird name in my opinion but hey it works well and sounds good! I think we can all agree that's what matters most!

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think this thread has been dormant too long for it to be revived...

Ceiltsei, if you're still in the market for a portable speaker powered by easily-swappable batteries, another option is the Creative D100. Looks like it's rated for 25 hours of playback on four AA batteries. I happened to be reminded of it recently and then remembered this thread.

That is all.

Tags
clip zip, problem, speaker, volume