android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung R1 / R2

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Samsung Moderator

Default [Tutorial] Unbrick the YP-R1 with the Recovery Tool

Cliquez ici pour la version française

Tutorial by lebellium, revision 1.01, 08.06.12

/!\ This is a dangerous operation! Even though the tutorial is long, please read carefully every step, every line and every single word!

Introduction

Recovery tutorial for R1 is finally here after the long wait from the R0 tutorial! Both the R1 and R0 are the most unstable Samsung mp3 players ever. Over the last year I have worked closely with R&D to correct numerous bugs, Samsung has not managed to fully fix the famous library updating bug which leads to bricking the player. Even with the latest official firmware 3.07 that may occur. In this case the only annoying solution for the user is to send back the device to the Samsung service center. Some French R1 users were lucky enough to get their players directly unbricked by me at no charge.
I have the recovery tools for most Samsung players since their release but I am not allowed by Samsung to share their internal tools. This would devastate my relationship with Samsung and I would not longer be able to produce tutorials like this.
To bypass this frustrating restriction, Lorenzo developed a modded firmware with efficient DRK (Device Rescue Kit) and Safe Mode. But these tools only work if the modded firmware has been previously installed. If a R1 gets bricked with the official firmware, there was no way for the user to unbrick it until now.

Why would I share the recovery tool now?
The R1 was released 3 years ago and none are under warranty anymore. Thus the only official solution to unbrick this device is the after-sales service center which would be expensive to their owners. I still get many unbricking requests, so I decided it's time to give you the opportunity to unbrick your R1 at home.

The R1 recovery is supposed to only work with Windows XP 32-bit but I got it to work with Windows 7 Starter 32-bit. However it won't work with any Windows 64-bit version. Given the fact that most common Windows version on modern computers is Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, you may have to look for another PC to use this tool. My personal tests:
- Windows XP 32-bit: OK
- Windows 7 Starter 32-bit: OK
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit: Doesn't work but I guess the issue is related to my PC. It should work.
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit: Doesn't work
- Windows XP 32-bit virtualized on Windows 7 64-bit (VirtualBox): Doesn't work

Preparation

Contrary to the R0, there is no need for a special cable to unbrick the R1.

- Download the recovery tool here or in the attachment (at the end of the tutorial). Extract the archive to an easily accessible place (Desktop or Documents for example). The archive password is lebellium.

- Download the firmware you want here (modded v4.00 is recommended though) and extract the archive on your computer.

Tutorial

Windows XP (Tutorial for Win 7 is following)

1) Go to your R1UpdateTool_V1.01 folder then to windriver.

Double-click on wd_install_4NT.bat. A black CMD window appears and will then disappear, just let it install the drivers.

2) Then double-click on vc_s1_redist_x86.exe.

The following window shows up. Click on Yes. After a few seconds it should be installed. You may not get any confirmation, don't worry.

3) Connect the R1 to the computer with the USB cable. Press and hold the power/hold button. Press reset once and then release the power/hold button. The R1 enters the recovery mode: the screen remains off but you should hear the usual sound when you connect a USB device to your computer.

4) If you use the recovery tool for the first time, the computer opens the window Welcome to the found new hardware wizard. If it asks you if it should connect to Windows Update to search for software, select No, not this time.

5) When the following window shows up, select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

6) Select Search for the best driver in these locations and tick the box Include this location in the search. Then click on Browse and select the path R1UpdateTool_V1.01\windriver. Click on Next.

7) After a while Windows announces it managed to install the software for MX37&51T01.

8) Go to the Device Manager and check if the driver has been properly installed like on the screenshot below.

9) Double click on R1UpdateTool.exe in your recovery tool folder.

Click on Browse and select the path of the R1.ROM file in your downloaded firmware folder.
If you want to format the device, tick the box Erase Nand. All your data on the R1 will be then deleted.

NB: To be sure to successfully unbrick the device, I recommend you to tick this box. But you can also try without formatting the device and if the player still can't start, then use the DRK or Safe Mode of the modded firmware v4.00.

10) Click on Download. Then let the software working, don't touch the computer and the R1 until the recovery tool says Finished! like on the following screenshot.

11) Disconnect the R1 from the computer, press the reset hole and turn it on. It works again

12) You can check the firmware version in settings>system>about and don't forget to set it in MSC again (settings>system>PC connection).

Windows 7
(sorry for the screenshots in French, I have no Windows 7 in English)

1) Go to your R1UpdateTool_V1.01 folder then to windriver.

Right-click on wd_install_4NT.bat and select Run as administrator. A pop-up opens asking if you want to allow the following program to make changes to the computer. Click on Yes.

A black CMD window appears to install the drivers. The installation may take some time compared to Windows XP because for each driver, Windows says it can't verify the publisher of the driver software. Select Install this driver software anyway every time you get this pop-up.

2) Then double-click on vc_s1_redist_x86.exe.

The following window shows up. Click on Yes.

During the installation a pop-up shows up, asking if you want to allow VCREDI~3.EXE to make changes to the computer. Click on Yes.

3) Connect the R1 to the computer with the USB cable. Press and hold the power/hold button. Press reset once then release the power/hold button. The R1 enters the recovery mode: the screen remains off but you should hear the usual sound when you connect a USB device to your computer.

4) If you use the recovery tool for the first time, then Windows tries to install the driver software for the device SE Blank Marley searching on Windows Update. After a while it successfully installs the driver software for MX37&51TO1.

5) Go to the Device Manager and check if the driver has been properly installed like on the screenshot below.

6) Double click on R1UpdateTool.exe in your recovery tool folder.

Click on Browse and select the path of the R1.ROM file in your downloaded firmware folder.
If you want to format the device, tick the box Erase Nand. All your data on the R1 will be then deleted.

NB: To be sure to successfully unbrick the device, I recommend you to tick this box. But you can also try without formatting the device and if the player still can't start, then use the DRK or Safe Mode of the modded firmware v4.00.

7) Click on Download. Then let the software working, don't touch the computer and the R1 until the recovery tool says Finished! like on the following screenshot.

8) Disconnect the R1 from the computer, press the reset hole and turn it on. It works again

9) You can check the firmware version in settings>system>about and don't forget to set it in MSC again (settings>system>PC connection).

Notes

- If you don’t manage to get the connection working at first try don’t worry: that may occur. Disconnect the cable, press the reset hole and try the steps again!

- Sometimes the flashing process may be aborted for some reason (faulty cable for example). Also in this case keep calm. Follow the previous hint, retry every step. In case the firmware upgrade doesn’t complete (i.e. the progress bar gets stuck) you probably need to erase the entire NAND (see the instructions).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Recovery_Tool_YP-R1.zip (4.98 MB, 305 views)

Last edited by lebellium; 04-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Default Recovery Tool - problems at first - then success!

My R1 started up at the weekend with the dreaded white bar across the screen. I had the latest modded v4 firmware loaded but I knew that the added "Safe Mode" doesn't connect on my Mac so I couldn't do anything.

So I took it to work and tried it on a PC there running Windows XP but the R1 refused to start in the Safe Mode so I got nowhere.

So I downloaded the Recovery tools and followed Lebellium's instructions. It didn't work and threw up all sorts of error messages.

So I booted up the oldest PC in the building which is never used these days and tried again.

Success!

After using the recovery tool the R1 started up but with Korean as the default language. I managed to alter that but then realised there was no setting to select the MSC mode which I certainly needed at home for my Mac.

I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that the Korean version didn't have this option so I checked on this site and found Lebellium's instructions to change the area code.

That did the trick and the R1 is now back to normal.

So a big thank you to Lebellium and Lorenzo for all their work.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Samsung Moderator

Strange that Safe Mode did not work...
But well... good that you finally flashed it successfully

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM

thanks alot team working fine for me

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM
Samsung Moderator

good news

Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 AM

Default thanks

thank you for your tutorial, this tutorial is very useful to me

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM

um i have a little problem....when i first got this problem it started when i was downloading music to my R1 and when i plugged it out of my PC it was (like always) updating data...but this time it was much slower...i took about 45 mins to update (usually its about 5 seconds) to 99% where it got stuck...i waited for 2 hours and nothing happened so i tried to reset it..and when it was rebooting it stopped at the R1 logo...when i got home i tried to plug in the PC but it didnt even show in my connected devices so i kept reseting (i have windows xp professional 32-bit)..now it stops right at the recovering firmware screen and cant be turned off till battery runs out....and what i understood from this post is that it has to be connected to the PC if i want to repair it somehow but how should i do that when it doesnt respond?
(sorry to post this here but i wanted to let u know of every detail in order to get better solution for my problem and i couldnt find any thread with my problem)

Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Samsung Moderator

This tutorial is made for bricked devices, i.e which are not recognized by the computer. This seems to be your case so just follow it....

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Sorry

Sorry...i was reading this on my phone and looks like i somehow didnt understand that 1st part...once again sorry for trouble i made

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Samsung Moderator

No problem, let us know once you unbricked it

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Its done!!! :d

THANK YOU VERY MUCH..i just unbricked it and even have finally new firmware...now i just have to check out what new can i do with it ...guys i dont know what would i do if this forum wasnt here...THANK YOU!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM

hi,

thx for this toturial! i followed your instructions,
but the last step didnt work.
i clicked "download" then the computer find a new hardware to install...

then i wanted to try again, but the recovery mode dont work any more
i connect it via USB, then i hold the on button, and click reset once, and release the on button...
nothing happens

have you any idea?? (I'm german, my english is maybe not correct )

Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Samsung Moderator

It may find a new hardware when clicking on Download for the first time. Then you just need to install the drivers again (step 4 win XP).

To know if your R1 is connected in recovery mode, check for "Jungo>MX37&51TO1" in the Device Manager.

If it isn't, go to R1UpdateTool_V1.01>Windriver and run wd_uninstall_4NT.bat.

Then reset your R1 and try again the tutorial from step 1.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Thank you for this helpful Tutorial.

It also works with Windows XP virtualized on Linux with VirtualBox.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Thank you mate, tested with Win XP Pro (32bit) virtualized under ubuntu 12.04 (64bit) and works perfectly! Tell me how i can offer you a pizza!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Samsung Moderator

Still a few R1 users, great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibibbio View Post
Tell me how i can offer you a pizza!
I can give you my postal address if you want but my biggest concern is how to keep the pizza hot and fresh during the journey from Italy to France

Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Still a few R1 users, great news

I can give you my postal address if you want but my biggest concern is how to keep the pizza hot and fresh during the journey from Italy to France
I live in Pisa, if you come here warn me ..

au revoir mon ami!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Salve sono nuova in questo forum. Tre anni fa mi è stato regalato il Samsung YP-R1 .Da un anno mi si è bloccato ,si blocca alla schermata R1 . Ho utilizzato il vostro utilissimo Tutorial solo che quando cerco di installare wd_install_4NT (non eseguo come amministratore ma viene fuori la voce Apri ). mi chiede di estrarre tutto, estraggo.... all' improvviso mi chiede " il file Tutorial_recovery_tool_R1_EN è protetto da password. immettere la password nella casella sottostante . Aiutatemi non so cosa fare , è mesi che provo a sbloccare il samsung. GRAZIE E COMPLIMENTI PER IL TUTORIAL

Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Samsung Moderator

Please only talk in english on this forum.
If you can't, go to an Italian forum such as http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106 for example.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM

Hello I am new in this forum. Three years ago I was given the Samsung YP-R1. For a year I crashed, freezes the screen R1. I used your tutorial useful only when I try to install wd_install_4NT (do not run it as administrator but it turns out the Open). asks me to pull everything, pull out .... to 'sudden asks me "file Tutorial_recovery_tool_R1_EN is password protected. enter the password in the box below. Help me I do not know what to do, is months I try to unlock the samsung. THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TUTORIAL .Sorry for the italian comment

Tags
flash, r1, recovery, samsung, tool, unbrick, yp-r1