android
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel f View Post
WOW!
You have just confirmed to me, that most manufacturers put crap batteries into their phones! (anything under 2000mah is a waste of time) 10.5 hours of streaming video is amazing for a phone! my stats were reading from the memory card with everything turned off. Again, I lose 2 1/2 hours when watching HD content due to resolution and rendering.

It amazes me how everyone wants to compete with apple and puts the best tech they can in a device and make it as small as possible, then skimp on the power source to make it truly useable??? Rather than shave a few mm off a device, add a few mm and give us BIGGER batteries, please!

marcel
thats what I thought was funny because you have the regular Razr then the maxx and the maxx nearly doubles capacity (1800 Mah to 3300 Mah) by adding a mere 2mm to the back of the case, I would gladly add another 2mm more to get that much more capacity added to the battery again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM

I'm seeing Galaxy Note 2s, unlocked, new, on ebay for under $550.
Used around $450.

That's a powerful device with a great screen; pretty good deal. Only bummer is no stereo speakers. Plus is that you get a phone as a bonus! Take it to Straight Talk and get unlimited data/text/phone for $45/month, no extra fees.

Still my plan...I'm going to wait until the Note 3 get's announced and then these will drop to $400 or so new.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I'm seeing Galaxy Note 2s, unlocked, new, on ebay for under $550.
Used around $450.

That's a powerful device with a great screen; pretty good deal. Only bummer is no stereo speakers. Plus is that you get a phone as a bonus! Take it to Straight Talk and get unlimited data/text/phone for $45/month, no extra fees.

Still my plan...I'm going to wait until the Note 3 get's announced and then these will drop to $400 or so new.

I have to admit, the note 2 is probably the best device to "settle" with and would remove the need for a 7inch tablet. With 2GB of RAM and a big battery it wouldn't need to be replaced for ages. Hmmmmmm.......?

marcel

Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel f View Post
I have to admit, the note 2 is probably the best device to "settle" with and would remove the need for a 7inch tablet. With 2GB of RAM and a big battery it wouldn't need to be replaced for ages. Hmmmmmm.......?

marcel
Personally, I would try to find a cheaper smartphone that had a replaceable battery where they make bigger batteries (like how the Bionic had where you got a big battery and a new back plate) and then just set it up so I could wifi tether to my tablet, but aside from that it would be used like a dumb phone.
Then you could get a cheap phone and run it till it stops working and upgrade your tablet as you feel the need for more performance.

I know next time I replace phones I'll be doing something similar and going straighttalk because they'll force us over to the family share plan crap the next time we reup and it will just make more financial sense to go to straight talk.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
But, if I remember correctly, the Tab 7 Plus WIFI only entered the market with a hefty price also.
Yeah, I paid $349 + tax when I bought mine.

Quote:
the Tab 7+ is supposed to get JB4.2.2 before EOL in September.
Where did you see this? I hope you're right.
Quote:
In my mind, the Tab 7 Plus is still the best of the 7" Tablets being offered at this time.
No arguments here. Better CPU than the Tab 2, and it has a memory card slot, unlike the Nexus 7.

I use mine daily...I hardly ever play games on it these days, but it's my alarm clock, my weather station, my podcast catcher/player, my Pandora streamer, my MLB At Bat streamer, and I often watch videos on it as well (as seen below).

That said, I recognize that most of the Nexus 7 specs are much better....but no card slot, no sale!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM

did the tab 7 plus get an upgrade to jellybean? OR would you have to just use a custom rom.

When I asked androidtablets.net about what tablet to buy they recommended the 7 plus however couldn't find it and just settled with the 7.0.
I don't really need a powerhouse of a tablet just one that can play basic games, surf the web, play music and videos and have decent battery life. Is there a noticable speed difference between the tab 2 7.0 and 7.0 plus?

I wanted one with a recent version of android and with reasonable probability of an update. I was a little deceived by the 7 plus because it only came with honeycomb and I figured since the other 2 samsung devices I own never saw an android upgrade I just assumed it would always be running honeycomb. I know now it received and ics upgrade.

edit: just saw the post above about getting 4.1.2 in september.

Last edited by mikee; 05-08-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
did the tab 7 plus get an upgrade to jellybean?
No, it is still with ICS. Honestly, I have no issues with it now that it has ICS....it's much better now than when it came out with Honeycomb.

I am hoping that Tabatha is right about JB coming later this year, but it's more out of curiosity than anything else.....the 7+ is doing everything I want it to do now, except print me $100 bills.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 05-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM

I got a Galaxy S4. My Player 4 is no longer capable of high end games or apps that require Android 4.0+ so I figured it was cheaper to upgrade my existing Samsung Moment than buy a high-end tablet or something for twice as much.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Where did you see this? I hope you're right.
Google for JB 7+ & androidcentral forums. Already dispersed to Austria. Also sammynews stated all dual core will get JB 4.2.2 before getting discontinued by September.

Other questrions of Tab 2 vs 7 Plus, faster cpu-1.2mhz vs 1.0mhz, more ram, 512 vs 1mb, flash on rear camera, also not on Tab 2.

ebay bigoutletelectronic still showing 30+ for $150.
Player 4.2 just reduced to $130, and Player 4.0 just reduced to $120.
Player 5.0 still at $150

Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Google for JB 7+ & androidcentral forums. Already dispersed to Austria. Also sammynews stated all dual core will get JB 4.2.2 before getting discontinued by September.

Other questrions of Tab 2 vs 7 Plus, faster cpu-1.2Ghz vs 1.0Ghz, more ram, 512MB vs 1GB, flash on rear camera, also not on Tab 2.

ebay bigoutletelectronic still showing 30+ for $150.
Player 4.2 just reduced to $130, and Player 4.0 just reduced to $120.
Player 5.0 still at $150
actually both the tab 2 and tab 7 plus have 1 GB of RAM http://www.theverge.com/products/com...2506/3767/5225 the key differences are screen resolution, front camera resolution, rear camera flash and of course the CPU.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM

The ONLY downside to the Galaxy 7 Tab is the "7" part.
I have to carry that in my bag..no way. My main device has GOT to fit in my pocket on on my belt. Too bad they don't do Galaxy Tab 6.

I'm still enjoying my SGP5 but it does seem to be laggier. This summer...Galaxy Note 2.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
The ONLY downside to the Galaxy 7 Tab is the "7" part.
I have to carry that in my bag..no way. My main device has GOT to fit in my pocket on on my belt. Too bad they don't do Galaxy Tab 6.

I'm still enjoying my SGP5 but it does seem to be laggier. This summer...Galaxy Note 2.
I suppose you could do a factory restore, and then reinstall your apps, maybe cutting down on some....might help. I don't know if mine is laggier than before, but it's always appeared that way in comparison to my Tab 7 Plus, so I can't be sure. I don't use the SGP 5.0 as often as I once did, and some of the things I used to do with it I only do on the Tab now, but the SGP still works fine, and the battery life still appears to be great as ever, so I'm keeping it around for as long as it is still kicking.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
Personally, I would try to find a cheaper smartphone that had a replaceable battery where they make bigger batteries (like how the Bionic had where you got a big battery and a new back plate) and then just set it up so I could wifi tether to my tablet, but aside from that it would be used like a dumb phone.
Then you could get a cheap phone and run it till it stops working and upgrade your tablet as you feel the need for more performance.

I know next time I replace phones I'll be doing something similar and going straighttalk because they'll force us over to the family share plan crap the next time we reup and it will just make more financial sense to go to straight talk.
Battery on the SGN2 is 3100 mAh which is pretty good. You can get an accessory battery with cover from Zero Lemon that's 9300 mAh!!! And it's less than $40! Amazing!

If you are dead set against having a smartphone, and don't need something under 7", OK, maybe not the best way to go.
But that's a darned powerful device at a pretty attractive price now.
I'm paying AT&T $50/month now to run my dumb-phone. it's going to be cheaper to run the SGN2 on Straightalk- even with "unlimited" data.

As I said, the only thing that's really missing from a "player" point of view, is the stereo speakers. (And it's still crappy Samsung plastic-which is really a shame in 2013)

Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Well since mine isn't working anymore due to being wet by heavy rain through a backpack,I'll replace mine with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 version. I like all the many ROMs that were developed for it since 2012 and thats what I look for most,I like alot of support for a device,aside from specs.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Well since mine isn't working anymore due to being wet by heavy rain through a backpack,I'll replace mine with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 version. I like all the many ROMs that were developed for it since 2012 and thats what I look for most,I like alot of support for a device,aside from specs.
Once you get rooted, be sure and visit my thread on how to maximize the volume output of the Tab 2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2294136

Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM

I sold my Nexus 7 as it wasn't getting any use since I got the Xperia Z. It was a good tablet, though.

5 inches seems to be the right size for me, although 1080p is overkill for a phone (so is 2 Gb RAM), I'm hoping it will do me for a year or so. I prefer the waterproof and dustproofing over the nicer design of other models.

Last edited by Jeven; 05-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Lots of people seem to enjoy the larger players and "phablets" but I find that those are just not right for me. One of the reasons that I got my Galaxy player was because I wanted my music player to be smaller than my phone, even if it was only marginally. Previously I had owned a Creative Zen X-FI and I loved that little thing. The Galaxy player is great, but I can’t see myself trading up to something larger than that. I am happy with something that has a 4 inch screen. Having a player that runs android is great, even if it is an old version, so it would be hard to go back to just a standard music player (as spoiled as that sounds lol). I have no clue what will be available when my player takes a dive, but It’ll probably be a tough choice regardless.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM

My music player is my phone these days.

There is no value, for me, in separate devices. Just buy one decent one.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I watched "The Avengers" (file in 1280x720p resolution) on my SGP 5.0 this morning. A 2 hour 22 minute HD movie, with brightness just over halfway, and my battery only went from 85% to 65%. Not too shabby for a device I've had this long.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM

I replaced my Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 with a Walkman F805 and it's pretty amazing, the sound quality is light years ahead of any PMP I've used. Although it did sting a bit when the guys at XDA came out with CM10.1 for the YP-G1. Not two weeks after I got the Walkman either. My little brother now uses it so I stuck the new ROM on it and man that thing looks and works amazing, totally smooth. I'm this close to taking it back from him!

Tags
discontinued, galaxy player, replacement