android
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Default clipzip and android tablet help!

I bought the sansa clipzip with the hopes that I could transfer mp3s from my nexus 10 android tablet to a microsd card and play this card on the clipzip. I tested this process with one album and it worked. I then proceeded to transfer all my music from my Mac to the microsd card and sell my mac. I then tried to add more music to the card from my nexus again and it said the card was full, which it was. I ejected it from the tablet (I use an otg cable, stickmount, card reader and 32gb SanDisk ultra microsd card) and when I tried to play it in my clipzip, it now skips through every song in whatever album I am trying to play.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I updated the clipzip's firmware using my friend's Mac (since there is no android option). This fixed the problem!... For a few hours; as soon as I turned off the device and back on, it was back to skipping immediately through every song.

I wrote to the sandisk people and they said I would have to reformat the microsd card to get it working and advised me to not use the same card with my clipzip and nexus tablet. They said the problem was probably that the tablet put some sort of hidden system files on the microsd card that are messing with the clipzip. If this is the case, shouldn't I just be able to somehow view these hidden files and remove them?

This seems like a very fixable software issue and I wonder why SanDisk wasn't more interested in resolving this apparent incompatibility with android. What is weird is that it worked fine with my initial one-album test run.

Additional info: the microsd card continues to work fine when attached to the tablet.
In case it makes any difference, I have never added anything to the clipzip's own internal storage of 8gb.
The clipzip continues to work fine with an identical SanDisk 32gb microsd card that I also filled up with music from my old Mac but never attached to my tablet

If anyone has any ideas or fixes or helpful thoughts they would be much appreciated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What formats are the music files in? It sounds like any combination of five possible things is happening-there are file formats the Clip Zip firmware doesn't support, there are index files from the mac on the card, the tags are not in a format that the firmware supports, you exceeded the song limit that the player supports, or you have protected files that need to be transferred in MTP mode using a Media player(ie Windows Media Player) to transfer the licenses. If you install Rockbox on the player it will solve many problems with incompatible formats and incompatible tags, and has a much larger database capability. Rockbox is a free alternative operating system for the player(Rockbox.org). I don't recommend installing Rockbox though if you have any protected files though, as Rockbox doesn't support protected files, and just installing Rockbox on a player might prevent it from playing protected files even when you boot the player into the original firmware. I have Rockbox on my Clip Zip and it is great. It gives the player many more capabilities and settings, and allows for many more songs. The original firmware has a song limit of around 8,000, however it might be much less than this if you have embedded album art or long tag names, etc. Some have reached the limit under 5,000 songs. The limit is actually the size of the file database.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanchu View Post

I wrote to the sandisk people and they said I would have to reformat the microsd card to get it working and advised me to not use the same card with my clipzip and nexus tablet. They said the problem was probably that the tablet put some sort of hidden system files on the microsd card that are messing with the clipzip. If this is the case, shouldn't I just be able to somehow view these hidden files and remove them?

Additional info: the microsd card continues to work fine when attached to the tablet.

The clipzip continues to work fine with an identical SanDisk 32gb microsd card that I also filled up with music from my old Mac but never attached to my tablet
Sounds like the SanDisk folks were right. And no, you wouldn't necessarily be able to see or delete any problematic files put on the card by the tablet.

The only solution I see is using 2 different cards. If you have more files on the tablet (or tablet card) that you want to transfer to the player's card, I suggest using a computer to transfer the files to from the tablet card, then connecting the player (& card) to that computer for final transfer.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the replies!

@JK98 - upon reading your response (particularly, "you exceeded the song limit that the player allows") I was inspired to try deleting some songs from the card. I connected it to my tablet, removed a few albums and viola! It appears to be working with the clipzip once again! I even restarted and it continued to work! I will report back if anything changes but this seems to have been the solution! Strange that when the problem started I hadn't added any new songs because I was given a message that the card was full, and also strange that the SanDisk help person didn't suggest this solution but instead was so quick to rule that my android tablet was simply incompatible. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Tags
android, clip, clipzip, microsd, sansa