android
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default How can I set the time for a long press?

Sometimes when I want a quick press the player interprets it as a long press. This is in Rockbox on the Clip+ and Clip Zip. How can I increase the time for a long press? it is so annoying especially when I want to start playing or pause the player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have no idea what you are talking about....I never do anything of the sort. I choose what I want to play, and press to start it, and that's that. I don't even know where the long and short presses would come into play.blink.gif

Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A short press of the up button while playing pauses the player, but a longer press takes the player into the variable speed screen. You never feel a need to pause the player or restart it??????

Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
A short press of the up button while playing pauses the player, but a longer press takes the player into the variable speed screen. You never feel a need to pause the player or restart it??????
I pause it, and sometimes click back to re-start a track, sure....I guess I always instinctively quick press....lol.

But you've solved a mystery for me, I think. Back when I still had a Clip+, when I briefly tried using a silicone skin on mine, there were times I ended up in that speed screen and had no idea why...the skin just ruined the tactile sense of the buttons for me. Now I know why I ended up on that speed screen!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Sometimes when I want a quick press the player interprets it as a long press. This is in Rockbox on the Clip+ and Clip Zip. How can I increase the time for a long press? it is so annoying especially when I want to start playing or pause the player.
I think that you would need a custom build. I'm guessing that in the rockbox source there is some variable that you could change, then compile a binary that you could put on your player.

It would be nice if Rockbox would have even more user options - I would like a "disable backlight on volume changes" option.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
It would be nice if Rockbox would have even more user options - I would like a "disable backlight on volume changes" option.
Isn't that option there? I thought it was, for some reason (maybe it was in a personalized build?) . . . .

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Isn't that option there? I thought it was, for some reason (maybe it was in a personalized build?) . . . .
I can't find it in the latest build that I installed with the RockboxUtility. It's been availble in several custom builds.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That must be it (unfortunately). Would have thought that this would have been committed, as useful and energy-conserving. But who knows what might have been going on under the hood . . . .

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would also like to have a no key pressed shutdown setting. The idle shutdown setting is very useful, however if I am listening to a very long playlist and forget to pause the player when I take the headphone off, then forget about the player for a while, it would be nice to have a setting that can be set so that the player will power down if I don't press any key for a certain amount of time while the player is playing. Normally when I am using the player I will press at least one key every 15 minutes.

It would also be nice to have a setting to stop the display from coming on when adjusting the volume.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator

You can use the Sleep Timer http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...11-1470008.6.3 for that. If the Restart Sleep Timer On Keypress setting is active it won't shut off as long as you press a button in a time shorter than the length the sleep timer is set for.

Don't forget you can save that type of setting in a .cfg file. If you know you'll be listening for an extended period with no button interactions you can save a .cfg file named something like "no timer" that doesn't start the timer. When you want it to have a auto shutdown just "play" the "timer on" .cfg file. A little experimenting with the sleep timer options should get you a setup you can live with.

The patch for not turning on the backlight on certain button presses that some are using works in a way that isn't consistent with the rest of the Rockbox conventions and some developers have said they won't accept it as part of the trunk. Until someone writes a patch in a way that's acceptable I don't think that's going to happen. I could be wrong but that patch has been around for years and every time I've seen it discussed the resistance to accepting it seems the same.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The patch for not turning on the backlight on certain button presses that some are using works in a way that isn't consistent with the rest of the Rockbox conventions and some developers have said they won't accept it as part of the trunk.
Had the feeling it was the underlying coding . . . .

Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting. The start sleep timer on boot together with the restart sleep timer on keypress gives me the function I want. Now if only I could change the length of time for a long keypress I wouldn't be entering the variable speed screen when I want to pause or restart the player.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM

I find the pitch screen annoying enough to completely disable it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip no_pitch_clip.zip (842 Bytes, 2 views)

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackyTiger View Post
I find the pitch screen annoying enough to completely disable it.
I want to have it for podcasts, however I don't want it to open when I try to pause or restart the player.