android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze+

Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 PM

USB problems with Rockbox are notoriously hard to debug. In my own experience, my themes are fine if I plug the Fuze+ or the iPod Classic on a USB hub other than the one my USB DAC is connected to. Go figure.

Unfortunately, until someone clearly identifies what causes such problems, there's nothing anyone can do, including me. WIth my first theme, grayfog, it was simple enough that I allowed myself to claim the possibility that it would cause less USB problems, but that is no longer the case with my latest themes, which are moderately complex, in order to accomodate several different needs. Incidentally, I had to fiddle with the theme code a lot just to circumvent several Rockbox bugs (like blinking lines and gray lines across the album artwork).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 AM

Marvin: if you have a little time, and if you're up to it, you could do the following:
  • load the Clippy theme on your iPod Video, and try plugging the iPod into a USB port of your computer several times, each time making sure that the disk isn't spinning before plugging it in and out, on an unused USB hub (i.e. with nothing else attached to your computer except maybe mouse and keyboard). See if you still get the problem
  • if you still get problems, try loading my iBox theme: it's a lot simpler and lighter than the Googley themes. If that works when the Googley themes don't, maybe there is indeed something to its simplicity.

Last edited by skamp; 09-20-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Marvin: if you have a little time, and if you're up to it, you could do the following:
  • load the Clippy theme on your iPod Video, and try plugging the iPod into a USB port of your computer several times, each time making sure that the disk isn't spinning before plugging it in and out, on an unused USB hub (i.e. with nothing else attached to your computer except maybe mouse and keyboard). See if you still get the problem
  • if you still get problems, try loading my iBox theme: it's a lot simpler and lighter than the Googley themes. If that works when the Googley themes don't, maybe there is indeed something to its simplicity.
I don't have the time to explore this today....but a couple questions first....
when you say unused USB hub...the tower of my desktop has a row of ports on the back side (eight of them, I think). In addition to mouse and keyboard, I have my DAC, camera cable, iPod cable, and a long micro-USB cable, along with an external hard drive. So there is probably one open spot.

On the front of the tower, there are two more USB ports....would using one of them with a different cable suffice, or would those ports still be tied into the ones on the back side?

I can't do it today because it froze up again with a different theme....the Amarok plus 2 theme, which is not one of yours.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 AM

Maybe the Rockbox social talk could be directed to some other thread?

I've added new archives on http://outpost.fr/rockbox/. Googley-Classic-All-*.zip and Googley-FuzePlus-All-*.zip contain all 7 variants for each target: those are the themes that I uploaded on the Rockbox theme web site. They handle two font sizes (14px and 19px) and two different behaviors on their own, controlled by the "status bar" theme setting.

The default (behavior A, when "status bar" is set to "off") represents my personal design choices:
  • on the Fuze+, the year is displayed next to the album title ONLY when the album title is short enough that the line won't have to scroll; otherwise, the year is displayed on its own line when pressing the power button (which also displays codec information).
  • on the iPod, the year is displayed on its own line, alongside codec information.

The alternative behavior (B, when "status bar" is set to "top" or "bottom") always displays the year next to the album title, and on the iPod, the last line displays "next track" information instead of year + codec.

Because the original themes handle the two font sizes and the two behaviors, there are somewhat complex and heavy. The new A14*, A19*, B14* and B19* archives contain a single theme with support for only one font size and one behavior, thus reducing complexity and size quite dramatically. If you want behavior B with a font size of 14px for instance, get the B14* archives. If you prefer behavior A with a larger font size, get the A19* archives, etc.

Marvin: you can try one of the A14/A19/B14/B19 themes and see if you still get problems.

EDIT: I found a bug in the Clippy themes, please wait for an update.

Last edited by skamp; 09-21-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Alright, I've fixed the themes.

skip252: maybe you could split the OT posts about Rockbox bug reporting and development? This thread is about the Googley themes.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
skip252: maybe you could split the OT posts about Rockbox bug reporting and development? This thread is about the Googley themes.
Done. Sorry I missed your first request in an earlier post.

I tried to move all the OT and keep the info about the themes in this thread. I think it results in two threads that each have a sense of their own. If anyone has a strong objection to how it works now please let me know.

I tried to give it a title that would let anyone know what was happening. As Roboturner913 is now considered the OP of the new thread they can edit the title if they like.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 AM

Much obliged!

Tags
fuze+, ipod classic, rockbox, theme