android
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Specific questions on E385 or E474

Thinking of buying the NWZE385 or NWZE474. However I need to be sure of 3 things:
1. Does it always remember a podcast's position if I turn it off or if I skip to another file?
2. Can you transfer files to it by copying files in the filesystem or do you HAVE to use a media player with MTP connexion?
3. Can you record voice with it?

Last edited by geoffm; 09-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Administrator

The help guide for that model is here. Looking at it I don't see any settings for recording. Recording also doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the specs so my guess is it's not included.

Like the last model or so there doesn't seem to be a podcast folder anymore. The directions on how to create the proper folder depth in a Podcast folder aren't there either. Those directions were part of the guides of models that had a resume function. That indicates to me there's no podcast\audiobook resume feature.

Drag and drop without additional software is mentioned as one of the ways to add content. http://docs.esupport.sony.com/portab...0drag-and-drop. That should work OK.

The E380 series is new and I can't remember anyone that posts here saying they have one yet. Until then I believe it's best to go with the help guide. Sonys don't tend to have undocumented features and unless you see a capability listed there I wouldn't expect it to be included.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM

@geoffm: I made a list of differences between the new E380 and E580 series, you can see it in post #38 here. I got all of the info from websites and the 'quick start' guides (I haven't seen a full user's manual yet for either model). I should have posted it in the Sony forum, but for some reason I posted it in the "New Walkmen! E580 & E380" thread in the "MP3 Player News" Forum.

Like Skip252 mentioned, the e380 models are new and I don't recall anyone saying that they own one yet. I've seen your podcasts questions in your other posts, and as of right now, I wouldn't recommend the Sony E380 series for you. The E580 series will support podcasts, but I don't know if it will resume playback at the position where you last left it (don't assume that it does.)

Regarding voice recording, the E380 quick start guide doesn't mention a microphone, how to record, or show a recording icon on the home page. The E580 series does show a microphone on the user guide illustrations, and there are directions on how to use the voice recording feature. Neither model seems to have FM recording.

The Walkman's have never really been too podcast friendly. Until somebody buys one and can answer these questions, we won't know for sure. Good luck.

Matt

Edit: After re-reading my list of E380/E580 differences, I am reminded that the E580 series supports bookmarks, so maybe that would allow you to use it to remember the last played position (assuming the bookmarks work with podcasts - surely they do?)

Last edited by MattMc3; 09-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 PM

Thanks. I noticed shortly after that indeed this model doesn't have voice recording, however the E-474 does and I might go with this one if I can't get a hold of an original Sansa Fuze. The Fuze was the perfect player but now they are unfindable...
Hopefully the E474 resumes podcasts properly.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
Hopefully the E474 resumes podcasts properly.
Hopefully so. If not, it looks like the E474 has the ability to save bookmarks also. That's better than nothing. I did a quick search at Sony, Amazon and Best Buy (they ony have a red 4GB listed) and didn't see the E474 for sale anymore. You might have to hit up eBay.

Matt

Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM

I have the E474 but I don't use the Podcast feature at all, so I cannot vouch whether it resumes podcasts or not, could you give me a file so that I'd check it out? I have no idea about podcasts. And yes the E474 supports on the go playlists (bookmarks).

Old 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR95 View Post
I have the E474 but I don't use the Podcast feature at all, so I cannot vouch whether it resumes podcasts or not
Do the music files resume? They should behave the same... at least they did on the Fuze.
I can't give you a podcast, it's no different than a music file... a podcast is just a syndicated mp3 list in XML. Here's an example. The walkman should treat it as a podcast depending on the way you copy it on the device. Either by copying the file to the podcast directory of i,f you use MTP, your media software should make it a podcast if it gets the file from a podcast it'S subscribed to.

You seem to talk about bookmarks as in "a list of files". We're talking about bookmarks as in "saved position in a file that you can resume playback to".

If you're playing file X and you shutdown the walkman, or skip to playing another music file, when you play file X again, does it resume playback where it was when you first stopped the file?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 AM

Okay, thanks for clearing all that up.

"If you're playing file X and you shutdown the walkman, or skip to playing another music file, when you play file X again, does it resume playback where it was when you first stopped the file?"

1. The file (X) resumes where it was paused after the player is turned on again.
2. But once it's (X) skipped, you have to play it (X) from the beginning again. It won't remember where it was stopped.

"You seem to talk about bookmarks as in "a list of files". We're talking about bookmarks as in "saved position in a file that you can resume playback to"."

Yeah, then I'm afraid it doesn't have that feature you are talking about. But the term "bookmarks" in Walkmans mean on-the-go playlists, I used to have it on my old A805, and now it's on my E474 as well.

About podcasts, I just copied 2 MP3s (music) to the podcasts folder, it didn't work. I think Media-Go is necessary?

Last edited by XTR95; 09-30-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Ok, thanks for your answers.
I ended up buying a Sansa Clip +. It's really fine, it's just as good as the original fuse, and I really like clipping it all over the place!

Tags
podcast autoresume mp3, sony e series