android
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Default H320 CF MOD working 100%

Hi all,
Just want to say that I have done a CF mod to a H320.
This is how to guide if you live in the UK.
How I did it:
I first went on ebuyer.com & bought a Kingston 32GB CF card for 49.99 & the postage was free at that time! it's not gone up since then!
I then went on eBay UK & brought a 1.8" IDE to CF card converter for 4.99 but the seller was from the UK, but you can buy them cheaper from China & all that!
I then received the adaptor in the same week I bought the CF card, then on the Friday I received the CF card.
I first copied the .rockbox folder from my pc from where I first copied it from my H320 HDD to the pc then copied the folder from my pc to the CF card, I used my built in card reader slots on my pc.
The card was already on FAT32 format so I was ok on the format & then I made sure that the .rockbox folder was already on the CF card before I removed it from my pc.
Then I took the back of the H320 & removed the HDD & then fitted the 1.8" IDE to CF card converter & then fitted the CF card into the adaptor, I left the jumer onto MASTER & haven't remove it for SLAVE.
I then booted the device & Rockbox loaded very quickly on the device.
I then tried it out & it very quick to a HDD & found that when you scan a large track & let go of the ff button it plays right away, on a HDD it takes a few seconds to catch up!
I did post all the information on that Misticriver site but that is all now lost for good! so I will have to do it again for this site.
I can also confirm that this mod works on the 1.29k iRiver firmware 100% in all functions.
Please remember that I already installed the Rockbox bootloader to the device before I removed the HDD.
I think that's about it! but please let me know if I missed something out!
Regards Tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF Modd on a H320.jpg (60.4 KB, 54 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-30-2010, 03:21 PM

"I already installed the Rockbox bootloader before I removed the HDD"...Please be clarify this for me: You did that in the CF card before installing the Rockbox folder? Where did you get the bootloader from? My H320 is working fine with the 19569-081223 version of Rockbox on a 1GB card but I'm switching to a TopRam 32GB since I was getting the "ATA -80" famous error. I returned the card and I'm waiting now for the TopRam. Do I really need to install any bootloader or just transfer the folders from the 1GB to the 32GB? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
lumaom17@att.net

Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the little guide. It worked like a charm.

I had rockbox installed on my iriver before and I copied all the files from the iriver HDD via USB to my PC and with a normal card reader I moved the files to my CF card .

So I really recommend to INSTALL ROCKBOX on the old HDD first, BEFORE you are doing this mod!!!

I used a Kingston Elite Pro 32GB 133x card,too and a IDE adapter from Sintech (bought both on amazon).

And in my case the JUMPER had to be removed from the IDE adapter. Maybe this will help some people who had problems, too =)

Now my iriver is faster (boot up and file access). lighter (17g instead of 50g) and uses less energy (more battery time) than before!
On top of it I got 32GB now instead of 20GB.

It almost feels like having a new mp3 player =)

Here are more pictures and a video (in french, but you'll know what he means)
http://www.paillassou.com/IRIVER.H32...ER.H320.CF.htm

Last edited by chkim81; 07-31-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM

You'll need to get a card reader that will connect your CF to USB. Then you can format the card to your desired format (FAT32 here).
I have not done this myself but this is the way of formatting a medium. Or if you have access to a big DSLR the camera might format it for you.
Yeah my question here would be "how do you install the bootloader on the CF". On Rockbox's site for CFMod, they have no bootloader procedure for the H340.
It would be nice if someone can post detailed instructions to benefit us all.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Do you think this would work if instead of using a CF card in the adaptor you use an SD card with a CF adaptor?

So you have the 1.8 inch 50 pin slot which has a CF enclosure on it containing a CF adaptor, containing say a 64Gb SD card.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom2003uk View Post
I can also confirm that this mod works on the 1.29k iRiver firmware 100% in all functions.....
Are you sure : http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/CFM...Considerations it says "Beware h1x0 and h3x0 original iriver firmware does not like the CF cards" ?

I would love to have a confirmation, before trying this mod : I do need th OF to get USB OTG feature (don't ask me why).

Thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odwsseus View Post
Are you sure : http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/CFM...Considerations it says "Beware h1x0 and h3x0 original iriver firmware does not like the CF cards" ?

I would love to have a confirmation, before trying this mod : I do need th OF to get USB OTG feature (don't ask me why).

Thanks
I have iRiver H340 with 1.29k iRiver firmware and with current Rockbox. Last week I removed the original Toshiba 40GB HDD and replaced it with:

50 pin to CF adapter>CF to SD adapter>microSDXC (formatted to FAT32) in full size SD adapter.

It runs Rockbox fine (nice quick reads, no disk noise, no more clicks and crackles from system) but just like in the wiki the OF doesn't see the disk.

Previously I tested with 50 pin to CF adapter>CF card with both H340 and H140 and in each case the OF does not see a disk but Rockbox works fine.

I believe tigertom2003uk was mistaken.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Frustrated at not being able to find anything at a reasonable price to replace my iRiver H320 I bought a little box thing that acts as CF to IDE adapter, the CF card goes inside and cover screws on. 64Gig CF card, already formatted Fat32.

Applied Rockbox to the old Hard Drive, copied the directory to the CF card, copied 60 Gig of Music from our server to the CF card.

Bingo.

Isn't life wonderful

Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 PM

FYI, I can report success at using a Komperbay 128GB CF card when using rockbox 3.3. Formatted FAT32 of course.

Steve

Old 09-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow--wonderfully amazing!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Umm...

Sorry, forget that analysis of the 128gb Komperbay card for the CF mod. Hangs all the time I'm finding. SSD all the way from now on; 128gb ssd can be had for $55 on ebay, add $10 for the adapter to zif, then $8 or so for the zif adapter.

Steve

Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Default rockbox/iriver 1.29

hi everybody,
my iriver H340 harddisk failed, so i replaced it by doing what is described above.
thanks a lot for this!
i first tried it with a
Komputerbay 32GB High Speed Compact Flash CF 266X Ultra High Speed Card 36MB/s Schreiben und 37MB/s lesen UDMA
i could find this cf card in my iriver when plugged into my computer, but did not work as a host. then i used a Kingston Compact Flash Ultimate 266x (CF) 32GB Speicherkarte
now it works well.
when i accidentally started with the old iriver firmware 1.29 (when my H340 is connected to the computer and loading, this happens), i found out that it also works with iriver firmware.

thanks again!

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Komperbay 128gb CF card; after some more experience, rockbox 3.0 works fine with it. None of the hang-up issues that 3.1,3.2,or 3.3 had. And boy did I try to get those to work.

FYI, the msata ssd mod for the thicker H140 (maybe you can squeeze it into a H120 case) works great. rockbox 3.11 works great with the Samsung 512gb ssd I got off ebay for $200. Future-grading my H140.

Steve