android
Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Question Display wonky with 64GB microSD

This past May I made the jump to Rockbox 3.12 on my third 8GB Fuze V2. To this mix I also added a 64GB Sandisk microSD card.

All was terrific... for awhile. Then I started getting a solid white screen upon boot. Forcing a reboot—sometimes three of four times—often gets me back to where I can see something on the screen. Often the display scrolls diagonally or otherwise behaves erratically. Upgrading to Rockbox 3.13 hasn't made a difference.

I have noted a correlation between battery charge value and screen behavior, so I've tried to keep the Fuze at full charge as much as possible. I believe this frequent "top off" charging has caused its battery to become less and less up to the task, causing the Fuze to not allocate enough power to the display. This is just a guess.

The other day I added a few more songs and now the display (when not solid white) appears to show what appears to be scrolling, overlapping debug code (or some such).

I'm in a quandary at this point. I'm thinking of replacing the battery with one from newpower99.com.

Does anyone have any idea if I'm on the right track? Should I also consider replacing the LCD while I have the Fuze cracked open?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Administrator

The link you provided is to a touchpad Fuze+ not a scroll wheel V2 Fuze. That battery and disassembly directions won't work with the Fuze V2. Taking a V2 Fuze apart is much different.

There's a very fragile ribbon connector in a V2 Fuze that connects the front and back that make reassembly iffy at best. I've had three of them apart and was only able to get one back together without damaging the cable. At one point you're working through a very narrow gap to reconnect the cable.

Even with the long tweezers I use one cable tore. The other cable was so brittle it cracked as I took it apart. That was a couple of years ago so my guess is that a older cable would be even more damage prone.

The only source for screens I've heard of is another Fuze. Sandisk doesn't sell them separately. Unless that's changed you would need to get another non-working Fuze and use the screen from there. Adding the $25 the linked battery costs trying to fix your problem with a hardware repair seems risky. I'd try a software fix before I spent any money.

Have you done any troubleshooting like removing the card and seeing if that makes a difference? Checking the disk for file system problems might also identify the problem. You could also try updating to the development build to see if that helps. Rockbox 3.13 is really old.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the tips, Skip. I'll try your suggestions. After reading many of the ABI comments about the Rockboxed Fuze+, I just may give in and go that route if I experience ongoing, degenerative issues of this sort.

Beyond that, and with Sansa not offering anything in its current lineup that matches the V2 Fuze, I think we all would like an Astell & Kern 120, aside from its exorbitant price. I'm also trying to ascertain if the A&K unit offers gapless playback, a feature that has become essential for my listening.

Incidentally, RB 3.13 is the latest stable build according to the info at that site.

Last edited by jagdriver; 12-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 PM

I have a Fuze V1 with a 64 gig card as well as the 8gig and have about 6gigs left on the card and it works fine, although rarely it will freeze doing the media refresh but switching it off and on again resumes it and its then fine !!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Administrator

To my way of thinking "Stable"="Old" with Rockbox. It doesn't mean that it's less likely to have a problem. My personal experience has been that the development build is more likely to run stably and have fewer bugs. They have the benefit of any fixes issued since the release being included in them.

There have been any number of changes and bug fixes in the months since 3.13 was released. If you stick with the stable version you pass on all of those. Updating will almost certainly be the advice you get from the Rockbox devs if you ask them about your problem. That's not to say any of them would fix your problem. It's that's it's doubtful that trying the dev build will make it worse and you can always revert to the release build.

I'll pass on the AK models at any price except free. I prefer not to deal with the 'solution looking for a problem' mindset of it's design.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I'm curious if today's build works any better as some fixes to memory corruption went in.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM

I tried the 140111 build and am stuck with the same result.

I just bought a refurbished 4GB Fuze+ for $22 and am going to experiment with it. If it plays well with the 64GB expansion card, then I may also get a 16GB Fuze+. (I'm all about maximum song storage and gapless playback, as I listen to large playlists from many different genres.)

Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM

My version 2 Fuze was acting up - solid white screen, sometimes scrambled display or reversed or sideways scrolling text, you get the idea.

So today I was fooling around with it - reformatted, reflashed the firmware from Sandisk's site. Nothing helped. Computer recognized it. I could transfer music to it and play it back, but the screen would sometimes be good, sometimes wonky, and then fade to white. Then I noticed one corner of the front panel was loose.

Well it appears to have been damaged somehow so I pried the entire front panel off. I cleaned out some bits of plastic from the clips that hold the panel in place and some other crud and reseated the scroll wheel ribbon cable.

I reassembled the player and powered it on. No more white screen or wonky display.

Been playing Beethoven's Symphony No. 4 now without a glitch.

Last edited by priell3; 09-16-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Administrator

That's been pretty much my experience. The way the ribbon cable runs across the front panel leaves it vulnerable to pressure damage. That can cause white screens and displays going bad. I've been able to fix a couple of them by cleaning up the gunk and making sure there's no pressure on the cable.

Unfortunately the cables is so fragile and brittle they tend to crack even worse when you try to work with them. I suspect that's at least part of the reason sandisk moved away from that design and went to the touchpad that isn't as likely to sustain physical damage.