android
Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Default I hate my e385

Lol, sorry I can't give a professional review but I seriously hate this damn thing. I've killed 2 cowon i9s in a short time so I decided to find something cheaper and actualy available in Canada and so I picked up the e385 today.

The sound on "normal" is quite good, I can even run a pair of HFI-780 off the player and it still sounds good even if it doesn't go super loud which is impressive. Buttons are better than touch screens for little devices like this so I like that. Drag and drop is 1000x better than having to use iTunes or WMP so that's another thing I like.

And that's about all the positives, firstly, getting my laptop to recognize the thing involved multiple hard resets and plugging in and out. My music wasn't getting recognized by the player, thought it might've been tags or codec but nope, formatting the BRAND NEW device and another hard reset remedied the issue. Nice to have a custom EQ, unless it's as useless as this one (I've been spoiled by Cowon), so that's not really a "feature" anymore. Actually, there are no features.. you want playlists? Make them on the computer because you can't do it on the player as you listen to your tracks. Downloaded a bunch of stuff and want to tag your favourites so you can easily delete the rest when you get to a laptop/desktop? Keep dreaming, you better have a very good memory! Want to delete that super annoying track you shouldn't have put on there? Sorry, can't, must connect to computer.

I know I'm complaining much about an inexpensive device meant for very basic needs (young kids/fitness use/music at work/poor people..) but something like a "favourites" feature, deleting or the like is pretty basic. Since my cell contract won't let me upgrade for another year+ (my phone sucks for music) and I'm not paying the price of a cheap laptop for a brand new phone I guess I'm stuck with this thing untill then. At least the sound is good and it's small so it won't be uncomfortable to use at work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 AM

First of all, what OS are you using? You SHOULD NOT format the player from your OS. That'll mess up the firmware and it will not work anymore. When I got my Walkman it was plug and play from the start, I didn't need formatting or hard resets.

And as for the rest of your complaints, you just described how the Walkmen have been... Sony haven't bothered to change much. I know you might consider having a couple of features as standard but that's how they've been like forever. So in that case, the problem isn't only with the E385, it's with the entire range of stuff.

But I get ya, you should've stuck to Cowon. Or if you're in it for the music, a Clip+/Clip Zip would've been a much cheaper and better choice.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

You can install Rockbox on the E380. That would fix your playlist issue and other things.
Work is still in progress but it works already pretty fine on my E360.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Administrator

I see various installation methods on the Rockbox Wiki for the Sony NWZ E370 and E360 series. Are pamaury's links on the Sony NWZ-E370 New Port page the only way to install to the E380 series at this point?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Samsung Moderator

Well, I assume non-dev people are not really interested in full manual install so I would say there is only one install method for the NWZ so far, the "semi-automatic" one: using the E380 prebuilt bootloader available in the forum thread you linked.

Maybe in the future, the NWZ installation will be supported by Rockbox Utility but not yet.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I pretty much figured that was it as I couldn't find a installation method on the Target Status page for the E380.

I don't have a E380 but my old NWZ S639 is starting to show it's age. The battery isn't holding a charge like it once did and the buttons are getting a like rattly. It's been a favorite of mine so I'd probably think in terms of a more updated model if it dies. Knowing it could be Rockboxed could help decide if I ever get another Sony.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Thanks. I pretty much figured that was it as I couldn't find a installation method on the Target Status page for the E380.
Regarding pamaury's targets, the installation method is usually not explained on the target's main wiki page like the one you linked above but rather on the Port status child-page. He has not made it for E380 yet though (I don't know if he forgot it or if he has no time, probably both).
As E370 and E380 are very similar, following the installation instructions on the E370 port page should be OK: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWZE370Port. Only the bootloader download link is different for E380.

Quote:
I don't have a E380 but my old NWZ S639 is starting to show it's age. The battery isn't holding a charge like it once did and the buttons are getting a like rattly. It's been a favorite of mine so I'd probably think in terms of a more updated model if it dies. Knowing it could be Rockboxed could help decide if I ever get another Sony.
I'm not sure replacing a S639 with a E3x0 is a good idea. E3x0 series is rather low-end. My E360 can't even drive properly my Westone UM3x, which is both surprising and frustrating.
We'd like to support higher-end Sony players such as E480 and E580 series but pamaury doesn't have much time, he can't afford buying all Sony players and there is still the problem of unsupported raw NAND on some models.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I'm not thinking about buying on at retail. I'm almost continuously trading back and forth locally and if one became available I'd like to know what value to put on it. Knowing that Rockbox is a possibility would help me with that.

I figured the Sony E380 series doesn't have the best SQ. does The S639 doesn't. Sony hasn't change the way their DAPs sound in the last several I've heard so I figure the E385 will be more of the same. I still like how the DSPs and EQ shape the sound with my portable and full size cans. It's a lot like the BBE enhancements that way. The sound they produce isn't strictly speaking better but it fits my taste.

I wouldn't try teaming any Sony with sensitive multi armature IEMs. They usually find a way to screw up their amp section and leave them with a relatively high output impedance and all the problems that can bring. When I try them with sensitive IEMs mine have been fairly hissy. That's pretty amazing considering I have middle age ears and don't believe I'm very sensitive to hiss.

From reading the Rockbox irc log I'm sure pamaury is beyond busy. It's surprising he does as much documentation as he does considering all the ports he's dealing with. Also iiuc he needs to physically have a particular model of a Sony to start the work on a port. Considering all the models there are it wouldn't make sense to me for him to buy them all to create ports that he might or might not ever use.

At this point the great work that's been done with the Fuze+ port makes it so I don't need another player but you know how that goes. If I see another player that's new to me I'm likely to want to scratch my new toy itch if I need it or not.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Oh, one positive I completely overlooked is that it uses USB mini for connection.. I must have about 10 of those cables in a box from other old gear that used it so I don't have to worry about losing it, and I can put one in the car. Also, battery seems to be pretty solid.

I will have a look at rockbox when I have the time, if I can get playlist features or something similar it'll make this player perfect for my needs. I couldn't really stick with Cowon because I'm trying to be more responsible with my money this year, at the rate I break my portable gear and the fact it's expensive to get them into canada and then RMA or repair it'd be hard to keep that resolution.

As for formatting from the OS (Windows 7 SP1) I did it twice actualy, didn't care since futureshop has good return policy and I got it that same day, but nothing bad happened. I probably didn't need to do that, the hard reset is what did the trick I'm sure but I was frustrated by then. The player might be plug and play, but at first connection it was not getting recognized at all, switched ports many times, even Device Manager didn't show an unknown device it was simply charging. After doing what I did the player was recognized, my player works and the firmware seems to be fine. Not that I recommend anyone do this, just saying.. I don't think the OS is the problem, maybe if you try to format in NTFS you get in trouble

Last edited by jiddu; 01-07-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't try formatting to NTFS. The one person that posted here that said they did that bricked theirs beyond repair.

There's a hidden portion of the drive where the firmware sits. Formatting that section using NTFS wipes the firmware. That leaves it with no way to communicate or even be connected as a drive.