android
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Default R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Players

2011-2013+- You were fun while you lasted. Gone but not forgotten!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 PM

New production has ended but, my 4" is still problem-free. It would be great to be able to buy something similar though. I guess de-activated smartphones are in my future, eventually.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
2011-2013+- You were fun while you lasted. Gone but not forgotten!
My old 5.0 is still running strong for the guy I sold it to, although to be fair he only uses it as a music player now. Still, he marvels at the battery life.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:16 PM

Bought my SGP4.0 not long after it was released. Flashed 4.3 to it a few weeks ago and it's running faster and with better battery life than my droid bionic at 4.3. I'll keep using this thing till it dies, which may be a long while yet...

Old 12-25-2013, 06:57 AM

All my players are still running too! I have 4 of them! I was being Facetious.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
I guess de-activated smartphones are in my future, eventually.
If products like the Motorola Moto G are going to become more commonplace, I think folks like us will be just fine. As long as the next time around they allow external storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye73 View Post
Bought my SGP4.0 not long after it was released. Flashed 4.3 to it a few weeks ago and it's running faster and with better battery life than my droid bionic at 4.3.
I'm still running the stock 2.3.5 on my US version but have been contemplating to the move to 4.3. I check in every few months but it still looks like certain functions, like the camera, don't work that well. Has that been your experience? It isn't a very good camera but I do use it for some things.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
If products like the Motorola Moto G are going to become more commonplace, I think folks like us will be just fine. As long as the next time around they allow external storage.

I'm still running the stock 2.3.5 on my US version but have been contemplating to the move to 4.3. I check in every few months but it still looks like certain functions, like the camera, don't work that well. Has that been your experience? It isn't a very good camera but I do use it for some things.
rear camera takes pics but the video function is busted on both and front camera crashes when trying to take a pic, the rest is fairly solid and CM is slowly adding the CM features to KitKat.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
rear camera takes pics but the video function is busted on both and front camera crashes when trying to take a pic, the rest is fairly solid and CM is slowly adding the CM features to KitKat.
There I fixed it for ya

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=233

Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Well it's kinda sad they are gone but I can see why. They suck in comparison to a used phone on ebay. I got a galaxy s3 the other day for $150. It's a much better device than the galaxy player 3.6 my brother has and didn't cost that much more. If someone released an android device aimed specifically at music, put a high end audio chip, some kind of physical media controls, and promised to keep it updated for a reasonanable price i'd be all over it. But unfortunately all android mp3 players seem like half assed attempts to compete with the ipod touch.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM

I sort of unconsciously phased out my player as my main music player. I ended up getting a phone (htc desire c) and figured I would consolidate all my needs into one device. I used to carry around my crappy feature phone and my galaxy player 4 everywhere but now I just carry my htc phone with me for everything. I don't like having pockets full of stuff all the time. My galaxy player 4 still works fine and now runs kitkat but I had an issue with the home button not working that is resolved now. The funny thing is that my htc desire c is less well equiped than the galaxy player and crappy phone combo it replaced. besides the phone though it was a pos. the htc only has 600mhz processor and android ics whereas the sgp4 has 1ghz and now kitkat.

Cheap smartphones basically killed off the android based mp3 player market and mp3 player market in general. It makes sense that that would happen though as people want one device to do everything for them.

The sgp 4 was a little dated even when it was released since it took so long for it to release in the us. I remember how anxious I was to get one but the release date kept getting pushed. those were good times lol it seems so long ago now.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I sort of unconsciously phased out my player as my main music player. I ended up getting a phone (htc desire c) and figured I would consolidate all my needs into one device. I used to carry around my crappy feature phone and my galaxy player 4 everywhere but now I just carry my htc phone with me for everything. I don't like having pockets full of stuff all the time. My galaxy player 4 still works fine and now runs kitkat but I had an issue with the home button not working that is resolved now. The funny thing is that my htc desire c is less well equiped than the galaxy player and crappy phone combo it replaced. besides the phone though it was a pos. the htc only has 600mhz processor and android ics whereas the sgp4 has 1ghz and now kitkat.

Cheap smartphones basically killed off the android based mp3 player market and mp3 player market in general. It makes sense that that would happen though as people want one device to do everything for them.

The sgp 4 was a little dated even when it was released since it took so long for it to release in the us. I remember how anxious I was to get one but the release date kept getting pushed. those were good times lol it seems so long ago now.
I know right, it's really a shame because those devices really had some potential in them. I remembered checking each day to see if the SGP was coming to the U.S. I ended importing mine from HK because it took just too much time (announced in june, released in october while the korean variant got released in febuary)

My prediction is that Android 4.4 is the last OS I see that it could run on smoothly, though if Android 4.5 or 5.0 gets it good, I hope it can be ported over.