android
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 AM

Default NWZ-E384, playback stops at the end of an album

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a question regarding the playback of my E384. I just bought it yesterday and so far it seems good enough, no problems, except the fact that when I'm listening to a song and it's the last song in an album (or just the only one) when it ends the player just stops playing music. It doesn't start the next album, or if it's the last/only album by that artist it doesn't continue with the next artist - it just stops. Replay starts the same album from track 1, normal just stops there (I think it goes from the last track to the first track of the same album but doesn't play it), I tried with album view, artist view, folder view... It seems to be the same no matter what I do. Is there a way to fix this, am I stupid or is it just hard/impossible to do it? One thing I might try is install the Win software that came with the player to be able to create a playlist - then it would keep playing the next song/album/artist I guess.. but then if I'm listening to track number 50 in the list and I want to listen to a band that is somewhere around 400 on the list I might have to scroll through the whole list? I've had a Samsung YP-U2 2GB for more than 6 years and I wanted to upgrade (battery life and more memory) and now I'm a bit shocked that I come across such an issue.. Any ideas how to fix this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Okay, I don't have the E384 but I have the E474. I think you haven't set your player to play the whole range. Turn on your player and go to the home/main menu. Then go to 'Settings' and then 'Music Settings'. There should be "Playback Range", go there and select "All Range". I'm assuming you have "Selected Range" selected which is why playback just stops. In my E474 when "All Range" is selected it acts exactly as you want your E384 to act. (Replay will act just like you want as well).

Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 AM

Hm, I can't find such e setting - in the home -> Settings -> Music Settings there's only Play Mode, Equalizer, Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normalizer... I also checked the Common settings and the other settings like video but there's no such thing... Maybe it has old firmware? The info in the settings menu tells me it's 1.0 firmware, I don't know if it's possible that the initial version didn't have this and they fixed it after that?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 AM

No? Mine's also 1.0, the E380 series is a bit different to others but I always though the settings would remain the same... Okay can you check if its available by pressing the option button in the playback screen?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 AM

Okay, I did some digging, turns out we're using different versions. Here, take a look at this - https://docs.sony.com/release/NWZ-E3...5_guide_EN.pdf

In page 110, it says that "Your Walkman plays back songs only in the lists from which the playback starts (album list,artist list, etc.)."

Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Looking at the help guide for the E38x series it doesn't seem that setting exists for those models. As close as I can tell it's been replaced by a non-setting. It seems to get what you want playback needs to be started in the right mode.
Quote:
Note
  • Your Walkman plays back songs only in the lists from which the playback starts (album list, artist list, etc.).
  • When you start [Shuffle All] play, the play mode changes to [Shuffle] or [Shuffle&Repeat].
If I'm understanding that correctly if you start in the Album playlist and the setting is "All" then playback will continue to the next album when one finishes.

Not having a NWZ-E384 I can't test if I've got that right. Give it a try and let us know if it works. IIRC someone else has asked this before and we never found an answer. It would be nice to know if it's possible.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If I'm understanding that correctly if you start in the Album playlist and the setting is "All" then playback will continue to the next album when one finishes.
Nope, tried it again - going to Album playlist, playing one of the albums, when the last song ends the player goes back to the first song of that same album but doesn't play it (same thing if I start from Artist list). What do you mean the setting is 'All'? I don't have a Play Mode with 'All', just: normal, repeat, shuffle, shuffle and repeat, repeat 1 track. I tried the options menu in the playback screen as well - it's the same. There's no setting for Range...

Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Administrator

I misspoke. The All Range setting is what I remember from other Sonys I dealt with. I should have said Normal.
Quote:
[Normal] - No icon

The songs within the playback range are played back in the song list order. (Default setting)
If that's not doing it I don't see what appears to be a setting to cause it to progress to the next album when one finishes when you start in the Album playlist.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM

I went to the Sony store where I bought it and they said they'd call me when they contact tech support. Later they did but they only asked me to try a couple of different play mode settings like normal and repeat, which I had already done. I tried again, no difference, ended up returning it. I was glad to find out that they did take it back, not so easy where I live (Bulgaria). Well I'm still waiting for the money transfer (paid with card, now they asked for IBAN to return the money directly to my card again etc). I will try to ask around and see if there's a player that would work properly, the one Sony has with the All Range setting is about twice as expensive and that's the only difference - otherwise it's the same memory and so on. I was looking at a Transcend mp870 because a friend of mine got one like that but I tried the same thing on his player and it still stopped playing music at the end of any album... I still find it hard to believe that they would have their software do that and not go to the next album / artist or whatever...

Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM

May I suggest the Sansa SanDisk Clip+ or Clip Zip? it's an inexpensive way to go as far as music is considered. 10 hour battery life is the only drawback, but it does have a card slot for microSD cards. Plus, it'd be small like the YP-U2 you used to have, if not smaller. In my opinion that'd be a better spend of money than Transcend players, or even Sony players.