android
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Don't remember how to install rockbox

I want to upgrade rockbox on my clip zip. Old version is still installed. I installed the utility on my pc but it will not start. I think I need the boot loader maybe. I can not find it though. So, what do I need to do to upgrade rockbox? Do I need to remove old rockbox? Install rockbox before but I ain't gettin' it this time. Please guide me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Download a copy of the build you want to install, unzip it to the root of the Clip Zip, done. Once the bootloader is installed there very rarely a reason to do that again.

I always save a copy of the build that's installed in case the new build has a bug. You can do that by placing it in a folder on the player or wherever else you prefer.

I've tried the newest release of the automated installer and it worked as expected for me. If it won't start at all for you it would be helpful if you filed a bug report. The devs can't fix an issue unless they know there is one.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 PM

The version on my clip is 1.2.14-64 bit. I have now downloaded and unzipped v1.4.0-64 bit onto my clip root directory. So, do I have to remove the old installation? Should I delete my old rockbox file? To install the new one, or do an upgrade, what is my next step?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try to restate what's already said in the manual. I might confuse you more than I help.

I will say that I've never tried to run the installer from the player itself so I'm not sure how well that works. I have it on my PC and run it from there.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer1 View Post
The version on my clip is 1.2.14-64 bit. I have now downloaded and unzipped v1.4.0-64 bit onto my clip root directory. So, do I have to remove the old installation? Should I delete my old rockbox file? To install the new one, or do an upgrade, what is my next step?
Thats rockbox utility, which is a Windows program. You can put it on your clip if you want, but it won't do anything other then waste space since it can only run on a PC. I'd delete both those folders and then read the manual.