android
Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Default So, what else is out there?

Unfortunately, it looks like my 4.2 is beginning to die. In particular, the headphone jack. If I move the connection in a certain way, the audio dies. Tried different headphones and cables to be sure that wasn't it, and it wasn't.

So I started hunting around to see if there are other player options like the 4.2. Mainly something with Android and an SDHC slot and I can find exactly 2 things, Jack and Squat. An Ipod Touch would be great if it had a card slot, and the PlayMG seems like it might be ok if it had a battery that could last. I use my 4.2 sometimes 10+hrs at work so it's gotta last.

Or, am I just thinking about this wrong and I should just switch to bluetooth headphones and a BT carkit/new deck?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Get another 4.2 refurb on amazon. Best way to go if it suits your needs.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Are you at a desk? I was doing the physically bringing my tunes to work, but ended up setting up subsonic at home and just streaming to my desktop.

It's a hell of a lot less bandwidth then all the you tube watchers, so it seems to be non-offensive (so far) to the network people.

The upside is I have the whole library vs. the limits of a particular device.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
Are you at a desk?

Nope, on my feet all day. That kind of rules out tablets too. Hard to stash a 7+ inch tablet in my pocket.

I thought about buying a refurb or an international off amazon, but I have this ' NEW TOY! NEW TOY! NEW TOY!' mentality. I'm sure a lot of people here know what I mean.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM

well the bluetooth headphones sound like the cheapest way out, it looks like the market on android pmp's is just gone, you could buy a used cell phone from someone and just not have service on it.

that said if android is not a requirement or touch screen, just the microsd expansion to hold your music you could look at the Sansa players.

Last edited by Daniel644; 11-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM

we are all in the same boat with these devices.
Phones have replaced mp3/mp4/pmp's as it's an all in one device up to 6 inches, and more profitable (hence the death of "pmp/toys"), any bigger and you have a tablet. My SGP 5.0 is still going strong and the battery still lasts ages. It's my TV guide, car satnav and video/music player. I've used it every day for nearly 2 years!

The only real solution is an old phone, S3 mini is now 160 on amazon in UK, the amoled screen is really bright and clear compared to my 5.0

Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM

This is frustrating, isn't it?
Thr SGP5 was really the perfect device. It did everything a smartphone does for three solid years. Battery is STILL good after 3 years of constant daily use.
The market was changing 4 years ago when Samsung released these. Smartphones rule. And everyone seems to have no problem paying $110 per month for each phone... including all the kids! Most families are paying ATT or Verizon more than I pay in car payments.

I have managed pretty well for three years with a dumbphone and this device. And there is no real replacement.

The tablet market takes over the smartphone market at 7" screen size. The problem obviously is that a 7" screen device does not fit on your belt or in your pocket anymore. This is made even worse by the gact that the bezels on the samsung tab 7 and the nexus 7 are so darned big. Also, the nexus STILL does not have microSD! And the samsung puts stereo speakers on the bottom of the device so when you watch netflix in landscape mode, the stereo effect is lost.

The other option is to use a smartphone and dont put it in a carrier; just use it for wifi only.
Then you run into the limitations with smartphones. Like the otherwise great HTC One with its awesime FRONT FACING SPEAKERS (!) has no microSD!!! And the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S4 have no stereo speakers... and the single speaker is on the back.

Obviously you can buy a used smartphone with a bad ESN for around $400, but that's still not a bargain.

What I want...
Fairly decent screen res...6" screen
At least 1 gb RAM
AT LEAST 32 gb on board memory
micro SD
FRONT FACING stereo speakers
Ideally, replacable battery.

But apparently I am a very tiny minority.
If anyone has some possible options, please let me know.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM

I myself have since moved on to tablets. I have a nexus 7 2013 and a Samsung tab 3 8.0. I know these don't fit what you need, but this is what was forced on me by the lack of any better spec galaxy player type devices being released.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM

I bought an Asus Memopad HD 7,which has:

MicroSD card slot(Reads 64GB microSD cards fine too)
16GB Onboard memory
Crisp and clear 1280x800 screen
10 hour battery life
1GB of ram
Quad Core processor

All for $150,I do enjoy using it alot now over the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablet I own.

There is also an 8 inch version of this tablet,but I didn't want anything bigger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
I myself have since moved on to tablets. I have a nexus 7 2013 and a Samsung tab 3 8.0. I know these don't fit what you need, but this is what was forced on me by the lack of any better spec galaxy player type devices being released.
thats what I did and frankly I love it, my tab 2 7" goes 30+ days between charges, where my 4.0 (when the battery was new) was lucky to hit 10 days (with the exact same usage).

Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
thats what I did and frankly I love it, my tab 2 7" goes 30+ days between charges, where my 4.0 (when the battery was new) was lucky to hit 10 days (with the exact same usage).
WOW, I sure wish my Tab 2 7" tablet went 5 days between charges. Which model do you have? Mine is a GT-P3113.

Steve

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
WOW, I sure wish my Tab 2 7" tablet went 5 days between charges. Which model do you have? Mine is a GT-P3113.

Steve
The same, but it's use STRICTLY for music playback in the car (volume all the way up on the tablet using Poweramp), which is about 25-30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday and about 1.5-2 hours on weekdays and I've kept it on Romswell ICS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-00-46.jpg (29.5 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
The same, but it's use STRICTLY for music playback in the car (volume all the way up on the tablet using Poweramp), which is about 25-30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday and about 1.5-2 hours on weekdays and I've kept it on Romswell ICS.
That explains it. I'm lucky to get a day out of my tab 3 8.0, but that's with heavy usage.In the winter now that is basically all I do all day, surf the web on the tablet.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Galaxy s3 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-L710...epn=5337259887 just got one and it was in perfect condition. But I don't know why you're hell bent on android if you're on your feet all day. Is it for the bluetooth headphones or what? Cause if you can get by with wired headphones I'd just get a small clip zip or something. It's just too damn easy to get the headphones stuck on something and have it go flying if you're using it all day. Also I just put mine on ting. It's pay for what you use so if you don't use data you don't get charged for it. $6 for the line+ charges for whatever you fall into. Might be a good way to replace your dumbphone.
https://ting.com/rates if you decide to do it pm me I can send you a refferal and I'll get a discount on my ball.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I bought an Asus Memopad HD 7,which has:

MicroSD card slot(Reads 64GB microSD cards fine too)
16GB Onboard memory
Crisp and clear 1280x800 screen
10 hour battery life
1GB of ram
Quad Core processor

All for $150,I do enjoy using it alot now over the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablet I own.

There is also an 8 inch version of this tablet,but I didn't want anything bigger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Yeah- thanks for that.
Dammit- it's ALMOST in the ballpark. Actually it looks like this and the Dell 7 inch are very close. this has stereo speakers. The Samsung Tab 3 7 does not seem as good regarding screen resolution, RAM and most of the specs.

The ONE thing that kills this (and the others) for me is the size: 7.7" x 4.7"! That's WAY too large to carry in a pocket. If they would reduce the bezels as they do on phones, this would be good. But with big 1/2" -3/4" bezels, it's just too large to keep in a pocket. I need to have that thing on me all day as I use it constantly for everything. Once I have something that won't fit in my pocket, there's no reason not to go with an 8" or 10".

It looks like I just don't have any option other than a phone with bad IMEI/ESN. Surprisingly, those are only about $100 less than a phone in perfect condition (say a Galaxy Note 3 or S4). So I'd still be laying out $550-600 or so. Just to get 1" smaller than the $150 device!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM

You don't need the latest and greatest android. Hell last years s3 or note 2 will be a lot cheaper than the newest stuff and still be better than the 4.2 player. Hell i bought my s3 for $155 a few weeks ago. A year ago it would have cost me nearly twice that much. Trying to keep up with the latest android is impossible so I gave up. Or how about a third option keep the 4.2 buy a cheap sansa clip and use that for music but continue to use the 4.2 for all the android stuff if the only thing wrong with it is the headphone jack?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM

I have both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the Asus MemoPad HD 7 tablets still,in the leather cases I bought for them and both are more or less around the same size,can barely notice which is bigger.

They fit fine in a jacket pocket or a hoodie pocket,not a jeans pocket though for me.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 AM

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 521 for $35 + tax a few days ago. I am just going to use it as a media player. I still have the 5.0 Samsung Galaxy Player.