android
Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 AM

Question Clip Zip - Need a little help regarding playing songs!

Hello,

I need a little help using Rockbox on my Sansa Clip Zip. My question is: How can I make Rockbox not automatically go onto the next song while listening to music? I like to sometimes listen to songs by manually choosing and selecting them and every time the manually chosen song finishes playing the next song automatically starts to play right after it! I then have to hit the PAUSE button on the Clip Zip, select another song and re-press the pause button again for it to start playing. I would really appreciate if someone can kindly tell me how I can stop this from happening? I just want the player to completely stop playing after the manually selected song has finished playing so that I don't have to press the pause button before I go onto select some other song manually.

TIA
Black_Hawk

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Administrator

What you want isn't easily done. Rockbox plays the contents of whatever directory contains the file you have playing. There's no setting to change that behavior.

Having a "stop after current" setting been requested multiple times and the response from the Rockbox devs has been if you need that feature you'll need to code it for yourself. No idea if it's because it breaks some Rockbox core functionality or lack of interest. I tend to think it's a problem with breaking something because I've read posts by some devs that have been helpful in other ways that have said they couldn't do anything to help. Remember I'm don't code and that a guess on my part.

The only practical way to do what you want is to create a playlist containing the single file you want to play and play that. You could also split all your music into directories containing single files but I wouldn't think of that as practical.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM

@skip252: Thank-you for the detailed reply and also explaining to me that it isn't going to be possible to do this on RB. Really appreciate it! I guess I'll just have to get used to hitting the 'pause' button in that case to stop the selected song being played. It's a tad strange that this option is not incorporated in RB but then again most people put their songs in a playlist and have them play them seamlessly as opposed to manual selections.

Just being curious here, is it possible to do what I want on the official Clip Zip firmware though?

P.S. Also, thanks for moving my thread to the correct section.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Administrator

I never found a setting to play one file then stop using the OF. Like you said most people want to play a number of files without having to start each one separately. Adding a function like that could increase complaints and returns when someone turns it on, forgets they have and then thinks it's broken. It would also increase development costs to add a feature most don't care if it exists or not.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hawk View Post
@skip252: Thank-you for the detailed reply and also explaining to me that it isn't going to be possible to do this on RB. Really appreciate it! I guess I'll just have to get used to hitting the 'pause' button in that case to stop the selected song being played. It's a tad strange that this option is not incorporated in RB but then again most people put their songs in a playlist and have them play them seamlessly as opposed to manual selections.

Just being curious here, is it possible to do what I want on the official Clip Zip firmware though?

P.S. Also, thanks for moving my thread to the correct section.
I could patch rockbox to include this feature for you if you are still interested.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Administrator

If you're planning on posting builds with different patches applied it's best to start a thread like this one http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=63706. Gathering the builds in a thread with your name makes your builds easier to find for someone who wants the features you include.

As the thread will be yours you can update the first post and bump it to bring what you've done to the attention of someone that's looking for a build with the features yours has. If you check post #8 in G4oblivion's thread you'll get a better idea of what I mean.

Like G4oblivion did it's best to document your changes with links to the patches you apply. That makes it simpler for anyone to track what you've done. You can check this with saratoga but I believe a link of that type also keeps your builds GPL compliant.

Tags
sansa clip zip