android
Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Default WMP11 n00bish Help

I rarely use WMP, nor have I ever even tried to use the Sync feature.

Last time I plugged my ZVM in and opened WMP11, all of my husband's music ended up on my ZVM. I somehow turned off the automatic sync thing, but I need some help now.

What I want to do:
1. Use WMP11 to rate all the unrated tracks on my ZVM.
2. Make a playlist out of all my 5-star-rated tracks.

What's the easiest way to do these? I am trying to find a way right now myself because I feel like a dork for asking these likely basic questions, but it would just be so much nicer if someone could tell me the easiest way so I don't end up spending hours doing this.

Also, will I lose my album art if I delete the files and resync them with WMP11? I tried to load album art onto tracks in WMP11 once and it did not work even slightly.

Last edited by jconsortium; 02-03-2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: album art question

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2007, 09:00 PM

1. Looks like you will have to rate every song individually.

2. create a new new 'auto' playlist (you can get there by clicking on the little tiny arrow under the Library tab). Give it a name. Add criteria under the very first section to 'Auto Rating' and then select how many stars you want to include. Click 'OK' and it will generate a new playlist.

Then, since you have auto-sync turned off, connect your player, click on the sync tab and drag your playlist over and click 'start sync'

pooh, you edited your question while I was answering LOL... If you have embedded the album art into the tags, you won't lose anything. That's probably the best way of doing that if you want album art showing in your player.

Last edited by werezenwolf; 02-03-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: question changed.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
1. Looks like you will have to rate every song individually.

2. create a new new 'auto' playlist (you can get there by clicking on the little tiny arrow under the Library tab). Give it a name. Add criteria under the very first section to 'Auto Rating' and then select how many stars you want to include. Click 'OK' and it will generate a new playlist.

Then, since you have auto-sync turned off, connect your player, click on the sync tab and drag your playlist over and click 'start sync'
Thank you!

As for number one, I know that I have to individually rate the songs, but what exactly do I have to do? The songs are already on my ZVM. Do I sync them to my computer, rate them, and sync them back? Will that create multiple copies? Would the files that get synced to the computer go into a specific place where I don't have to sift through other tracks already on my computer?

I have no idea how the sync stuff works.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
pooh, you edited your question while I was answering LOL... If you have embedded the album art into the tags, you won't lose anything. That's probably the best way of doing that if you want album art showing in your player.
LOL, you edited yours as I was replying too.

I used Media Explorer in "album" view to drag album art in. I don't think it sticks around after the files are brought back to the computer. I once copied all my music back onto my computer and then later back onto my ZVM and all the album art was gone.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:09 PM

you will have to rate them in your computer and then put them in the player.

You could just delete the songs from your player that you are planning on rating instead of syncing them to your computer first (save some time), unless you don't have them already on your computer.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconsortium View Post
LOL, you edited yours as I was replying too.

I used Media Explorer in "album" view to drag album art in. I don't think it sticks around after the files are brought back to the computer. I once copied all my music back onto my computer and then later back onto my ZVM and all the album art was gone.
That's why I recommend putting the album art into your tags. You can do that with Media Monkey if you need to.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
you will have to rate them in your computer and then put them in the player.

You could just delete the songs from your player that you are planning on rating instead of syncing them to your computer first (save some time), unless you don't have them already on your computer.
Haha, they're not on my computer already.
Okay...I think I have the rating part under control.
I sync'ed all the unrated files to the computer. Now I have to find a way to delete them from the player.

I will rate them, then sync them back.

As for the playlist...when I went to autoplaylist, it only selected tracks from my computer, not my ZVM.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM

well, yes. The playlist has to be made in WMP from files on your computer.

Ummm, what would you do if you lost the music on your zen (god forbid)? Is this music backed up anywhere?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
That's why I recommend putting the album art into your tags. You can do that with Media Monkey if you need to.
Oh god...so that means what I'm syncing right now won't have album art when I transfer it back.

You know what, I'm just going to forget about this. It's turning into way too much work. I really appreciate your help, so thank you. But this is looking like it's going to take a long time and I don't have the patience for it right now.

But seriously, thank you.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 PM

LOL...no problem.

I tagged all my stuff with Media Monkey one weekend inbetween laundry loads so that I could get the album art in there.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
LOL...no problem.

I tagged all my stuff with Media Monkey one weekend inbetween laundry loads so that I could get the album art in there.
Haha, good plan.

I think I have found another way to create a playlist without a big hassle...MediaSource 3. I'm about to check it out, it has smart playlists and I think it'll use tracks from my ZVM.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM

ooh...will you let me know if that works please? I want to do some playlists and it would be awesome if you can do that in the player.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Well, I tried it. It doesn't work the way I remember it. See, I remember being able to go into MediaSource Player (3) and selecting something like "what to play" and "Zen Vision:M" was in the list. I swear that was a choice! Now it's not there anymore.

So no, it didn't work. I don't think I'm ever going to easily find a way (without re-rating and re-syncing all of my music) of making a playlist of all my 5 stars.
Actually, the easiest way I've found so far is to go to the DJ > Highly Rated, and then designate "add to selected" as my shortcut option, and just add all the tracks in Highly Rated to the queue, then back out, go back in Highly Rated, add all those tracks, and keep going back in and adding the songs until you think you have them all. Then save it as a playlist and use your computer to see if there are any duplicates.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 PM

poking around in MS 5...not looking good.

Ok, so in MediaSource 5 organizer, you can set the right pane to be the player contents. If you know which albums you want in the playlist, you can select them all, right click and choose 'add to playlist...', give it a name and it will save it on your player.

I have no idea if MS3 is capable of this, but it should. If you're wanting to just add individual songs, sorry...no ideas.

OMG...ain't life funny. I *was* using MS-3...now checking MS-5. Nada. There isn't anyway to even see ratings.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM

Hahaha..the only good thing about MediaSource is the smart playlist stuff. I just wish it worked for files already on my ZVM.

P.S. I'm downloading Media Monkey right now. I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon and see what all the fuss is about.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 PM

hey, I got it to work, I think. created a new smart playlist...oh wait..nm. it only worked with music that was on my computer.

btw...I meant to put a winky on that epiZENter thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
hey, I got it to work, I think. created a new smart playlist...oh wait..nm. it only worked with music that was on my computer.

btw...I meant to put a winky on that epiZENter thread
Hey, I've got Media Monkey now and it seems pretty useful.

One que...wait, 3 questions.

1. I see I can load my ZVM tracks...and what I've rated on the player itself shows up. If I say...move all my tracks onto the computer, will the ratings go too? And if I rate them all in MM and transfer them back to my ZVM, will the ratings transfer to the player?

2. I was trying to make a playlist but it wouldn't let me move tracks from my ZVM into the playlist. Do you know if the files have to be on your computer?

3. Dumb question, really, but I must know: I already copied all my music from my ZVM to my computer the other day. If I sync using MM, will I have duplicates?

Do you see how new to syncing I am? I don't listen to music on my computer nor do I download music, so music software just sort of boggles my mind.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 AM

1. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. Try it with a few songs and see what happens.

2. I don't use MM to sync music, I use WMP so I'm not sure. Do you know how to create a playlist using the player? Empty your 'now playing' list, go through the music on your player by song, by album, or by artist, click the bottom right button and select add to 'now playing list' (something like that). Then go to the now playing list, click the bottom right button and select save as playlist (something like that).

3. ZenChick had a really good explanation of syncing. Basically it's this: When you use a sync manager for the first time (media monkey or wmp11), the sync manager forms a specific relationship with your player.

If you 'auto sync', the manager knows, and remembers, what it has transferred to the player. When you add new music to your computer library, the next time you use the sync manager it will only transfer the new stuff.

Now, if you already have music on your player when you first form this 'relationship', the sync manager doesn't know anything about the music on your player and it will sync everything and you end up with duplicates.

It's best, when forming a new relationship between player and sync manager to start with an empty player.

If any of that didn't make any sense let me know and I'll try to explain. It's late here in Texas and I might be a bit off ...well I'm told I'm always a bit off, but you know what I mean