android
Old 02-04-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Loud clicking on Zen M startup

My Zen M makes a loud clicking noise when I first turn it on. I know it's the hard drive, but I'm wondering is this normal? It clicks loud twice. Should I worry about this and look into the problem before a catastrophe happens? I don't hear the clicking once the player is up and running.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2007, 04:48 AM

Mine clicks when i turn it on and its loading

It also clicks when i'm transferring stuff onto it

It isn't constant clicking just every now and again, but my laptop makes a similar clicking when its doing something so I figure you're safe

Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 PM

i wouldn't say mine makes a loud clicking noise but it makes a clicking noise! especially when i try to look at pics while listening to music!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
i wouldn't say mine makes a loud clicking noise but it makes a clicking noise! especially when i try to look at pics while listening to music!
I may have over-exaggerated the sound of the clicking but it is audible when it first starts up. I haven't noticed the clicking while looking at pics while listening to music. I will observe that next time. Thnaks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me and my player wasn't on the brink already after about a week of ownership.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's hard to determine whether it's normal or not, since I don't know what your definition of "loud" is. A clicking noise upon power-up, or occasionally if the drive has to spin back up to retrieve more data, is the sound of the drive heads coming out of the parked position - which is normal. A loud clicking could be the heads coming out of park and slamming straight into the drive spindle - which is bad!

If your player shows no signs of misbehavior, and only makes that clicking sound when you turn it on, then I'd say you're okay - just make sure you've got a copy of everything on your player just in case that drive does go south on you.