android
Old 09-30-2006, 04:46 AM

Default So now I've got one, what are the must haves?

Now I have my excellent X5 20gb, what are the must have accessories and stuff for it?

I want to use it in my car, looks like FM transmitters are pants and I think my tape deck is knackered..... might try and fix it. If I can fix it, what's the best tape adapter for it? Or are they all much the same?

Car charging? What do you use?

Should I install Rockbox straight away? Is it going to be a major improvement? Doom looks good

Any other things I should do to get the best out of the X5

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2006, 06:36 AM

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/

You should consider purchasing a dock and the remote, if you are interested in either. If you need more battery life, a 4-AA operated battery pack is available on eBay for a very low price. Consider a nice case.. Noreve and Zcover seem to be the most popular options, in leather and silicone respectively.

For car-charging, there is an FM Transmitter/Car Charger device available online. It is the only device supported by Cowon that allows for in-car charging.

Most tape adapters are similar; I'd suggest installing a line-in deck for optimal quality.

Rockbox is excellent if you don't mind voiding your warranty. Neither the Rockbox development team nor Cowon are responsible for any damages incurred while Rockbox is installed on your player.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:13 AM

For car charging, try Sima's USB adapters. It comes with an AC adapter and a car adapter in one package, $13.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I'd suggest installing a line-in deck for optimal quality.
I would do, but that would cost to much and my car is a heap of crap so don't really want to spend any extra on it

I fixed my head unit to take the tape adapter but it's really noisy. I think this is the tape adapter rather than the head unit so I might get a better quality one to see if that works. I don't know anyone else with one to try out first though.

I'll investigate the chargers a bit more.

Might leave rockbox for now

Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Talking Tape Adaptor

I had the same trouble with my tape adaptor. There are two things you have to do. The first is to try turning off all of the extra sound enhancements on your X5, the second is try to turn down the volume on the X5 and use the volume on the car stereo volume control. I think otherwise the device is sending too much juice and sophistication into a sound system that doesn't know what to do with it (it overpowers the input). I had to get another tape adaptor, but I still have to monitor the volume and "jet effect" on my X5.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Heh, thread necromancy...

Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazraa View Post
Now I have my excellent X5 20gb, what are the must have accessories and stuff for it?

I want to use it in my car, looks like FM transmitters are pants and I think my tape deck is knackered..... might try and fix it. If I can fix it, what's the best tape adapter for it? Or are they all much the same?

Car charging? What do you use?

Should I install Rockbox straight away? Is it going to be a major improvement? Doom looks good

Any other things I should do to get the best out of the X5
Boy you UK guys have your own slang language that doesn't make any sense to us Americans.
Just out of curiousity define these words:
pants = worthless?
knackered = busted/broken?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
MSC Playlist editor
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=2381

Old 02-21-2007, 05:02 AM

i have used a tape before (not with the x5 tho) and i was never able to get rid of the background hiss, it did vary depending on what i was using it on, better stereos had a lower (but not much) hiss.

and, yes you have our slang terms pretty much correct. knackered often refers to something that is almost broken but still sort of works.