android
Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Line In Recording Queries

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Creative Zen V+ 4GB but have some queries about the line in recording. I want to use it to record radio shows and to record vinyl.

I want to know:
- What format does it record in? MP3, WMA, or do you have a choice? What bitrates are available?
- Is there any sort of rights protection on the files or are they ordinary, completely free MP3? (Can you copy them to a PC, burn them to CD, transfer them to another player, etc.?)
- What's the quality of the recording like? Does it sound good?
- Can you adjust the recording volume?
- Do you need a special lead for the line in or is it some sort of standard connection?
- Anything else particularly good or bad about the line-in recording.

Also, if anyone can suggest an alternative mp3 player with line-in recording which is available in the UK, (some don't seem to be), or the best place to get the players in the UK, that'd be good too. Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM

I believe it records in mp3. Definitely not protected.

128k and 160k bit rates are available.

Line-in from an mp3 playing on the computer sounded good. A little hissy, but that could be my cheap headphones. Turning up the volume louder on the mp3 seemed to cover it.

I used the wire that came with the player, which has a standard stereo plug (1/8"?) on one end and the mini plug on the other for the line-in jack (1/32"?).

I also tested with cardioid stereo mics plugged into a battery module, which was then connected to the line-in with an adapter plug from Radio Shack. More ambient static, but voices were clear.

The other big names I hear for recording are Sony MiniDisc and iRiver. It looks like the Sony at least is available from UK Amazon.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for your reply. I've had a Sony Hi-MD minidisc player for a few years and I love it, but to do anything with a computer you've got to use Sony's SonicStage software, which is a right pain, and all recordings have attatched licences, so you can't really do anything with them apart from listen back. I'm thinking of recording a lot of my vinyl and want to get it into a universal format (i.e., mp3), and recording to my PC is a pain, so from what you've said the Zen V could be the answer. Thanks again

Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darel View Post
I believe it records in mp3. Definitely not protected.

I also tested with cardioid stereo mics plugged into a battery module, which was then connected to the line-in with an adapter plug from Radio Shack. More ambient static, but voices were clear.

Hey,
Hmmm so can you explain this more? I want to use the Line-In with a Lavalier mike so we can do podcasts of people speeches in my company. However when I bought a small mic at Radioshack it didn't seem to pick anything up at all? Do I need a pre-amp attached to the mic? Help!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneff View Post
Hey,
Hmmm so can you explain this more? I want to use the Line-In with a Lavalier mike so we can do podcasts of people speeches in my company. However when I bought a small mic at Radioshack it didn't seem to pick anything up at all? Do I need a pre-amp attached to the mic? Help!
Yes, you need a battery module or a pre-amp. I had the same problem with my Radio Shack mic, even though it came with a battery. Apparently there's just not enough power to get the sound up to line in audibility.

I use a battery module from SoundProfessionals, though I didn't like dealing with the company. For podcasting, it should be good, though awkward to carry around all that equipment. I don't know how a more expensive, hand-held powered mic would work.

Also, to correct what I said earlier, it records in 128 or 160 wmv, not mp3.