android
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Creating audible books

I have found a way to convert text documents into audio recordings (mp3 or WAV). But when I load them, they are 6 to 8 hour long "songs" which means if I stop to listen to another song or anything else, I have to start over at the beginning.

Does anyone know how to convert a MP3 file into an audible-compatible file with chapters and bookmarks?

Mike

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Audio/Video Bookmarks?

Unfortunatly, this is a firmware limit of the Insignia... hopfully only till the up coming F/W
Audible .aa files have book mark function under pos files with present F/W, but these files are propriatary property of Audible Talking Books. They are not only DRM locked, but need "special" F/W to work on (very) limited HDW.
The new F/W might (but not WILL) have book mark support.
If not, a vote by you on the feature request would be advised
So far only 21 votes:
(4) Audio/Video Bookmarks [21 votes]

Old 03-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
I have found a way to convert text documents into audio recordings (mp3 or WAV). But when I load them, they are 6 to 8 hour long "songs" which means if I stop to listen to another song or anything else, I have to start over at the beginning.

Does anyone know how to convert a MP3 file into an audible-compatible file with chapters and bookmarks?

Mike
How is it possible to convert text documents to audio recordings? How have you done it?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Default The Son of HAL

Hmm, good question marcelino.
Last time I used a text to voice sound editor, well I think creative at least tried to make it sound human, is the best I can remember.
With newer voice recognition software, I suspect the playback voices have improved.
A better question would be what software is used and is it still deviod of any human emotion
Suspect in ten years even live action actors will be fewer

Old 03-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Check out http://www.guangmingsoft.net/activetts/. I tried the Visual C++ demo and made changes to read a file. It was actually pretty good.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM

I am using a program from Zabaware, Hal something. I also tried TextAloud.

The key is using a good "voice font" so that it is something you can listen to. The Microsoft voices stink. I am testing a Neovoice, and might get an AT&T NaturalVoice if I have to. 90-95% of the book sounds great, the rest are acceptable. It sounds a little monotone, but it works well enough to allow me to "read" books while working.

Basically, you open the document (convert to text file to eliminate conflicts), then save a wave file and convert as necessary.

Right now, I am cutting the documents into individual chapters, then converting. Converting the entire documents would be easier, which is why I want the AA format.

If anyone finds a solution, just let me know.
Mike

Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM

But where do you get the book in a text file?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Usually in some form of ebook. These can be pdf, txt, doc, and some palm-pilot formats. Many are free, some you pay for. Then you convert to straight text (txt) document and run from there.

Here are some locations:
http://www.memoware.com/
http://www.fictionwise.com/
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?ImprintID=219
http://2020ok.com/

and there are others. I used to do ebooks on my palm pilot, but that still required reading time (drivethroughs, waiting for kids, etc.) while audio can be done anytime.

Mike

Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 PM

I have been using Audible for about 2 years now and it is great. For $22/month, you get two books (which can roll over to the next month if you don't use the credits), which is $11/book. Books on tape/CD are usually 4 times that much. Plus, each book (or book section) has a bookmark, so you can easily go back to where you left off. It's a really great way to make those long drives less boring.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM

I agree.

I have Audible, but the lower membership. My problem is that some books I want are not out yet, but an eBook is. One example is the Vampire Files series by P.N.Elrod. Audible has book 1, but nothing else. But I have the ebook of "A song in the dark" which is the newest one in the series. So I just convert and viola!

Of course, since it is a drm book, I have to convert in several steps. But most books can be converted much easier. especially the free books. Those you just convert to pure text and then convert to audio.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 PM

If you have a player that supports Audible, then you don't have to do the conversion That's why I love my Insignia NS-DV4G - it's one of a few flash-based players that supports it. mpiper - have you considered getting a "returned" NS-DV4G from DealADeal (http://www.dealadeal.com/cart/select...96245&view.htm) for about $70 just for Audible support? 4GB will store quite a bit of Audible material.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM

MusicLoverMike, you missed the point. I have the NS-DV4G. I have Audible. That is why I like the format.

But, I have access to tons of additional books that are in text form. By converting them, I can "Read" them while working. The average book is 8 to 20 hours long. That means I finish a book in less than a week during work hours.

The extra books allows me additional reading above my subscription, as well as including books not at Audible.

What I am looking for is a way to convert the WAV or MP3 Audio books I create into Audible compatible. This means the player reads them as books and allows me to switch from "audible" book to music and back without loosing my place in the book.

As mp3 audio books, they are considered music and leaving them for real music means I have to start over on the book and manually fast forward until I reach the point I left off at (not a fun activity). Hence, I want all my audio books (self-made and professionally produced) in the Audible format, not vice-versa.

Mike

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
As mp3 audio books, they are considered music and leaving them for real music means I have to start over on the book and manually fast forward until I reach the point I left off at (not a fun activity). Hence, I want all my audio books (self-made and professionally produced) in the Audible format, not vice-versa.
Mike
Sure hope there is book marking is the next F/W release.
Thing about F/W changes is it's easy to brake something due to the numerous PC/software configurations. What works for most is broken for some.
Guess the right wording is I hope my system is not bugged with new F/W and PLAYS nice

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Insignia Moderator

Don't count on it... It sounds to me like they're still searching for ways to implement bookmarking.