android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Working SonicStage alternative for NW-S series

Finally after few days of googling I found a working and a much more pleasant to deal with alternative for Sonyís unfortunate (and persistent) SonicStage venture...

This is a tiny plug-in for WinApm that is much more user friendly, stable and compatible with music library organized with WMP-11.

According to the author it works with both protected and unprotected players. I can only confirm that it works with my NW-S205F. As far as I know this is the only alternative to SS, excluding File Manager that only work with NW-E series.

So, here is what you need to do:

Step 1: Download and install free Winapm player.
Run it and let is import all your music info. It does not copy files, just creates a database. Close Winapm after importing it done. Make sure you EXIT before moving on.

Step 2: Download ML_sony, a tiny plug-in for Winapm.

Somehow forum restriction won't allow me to post direct link to the file, so google "ML_sony" and link to the file should be in top 3 results. Its part of soundforge projects. ML_sony is a tiny (49K) zip file with text instruction and a DLL file needed for the plug-in to work.

Step 3: Setup your Walkman to work with ml_sony plug-in
Connect your NW-S series player to your PC. Open the Walkman storage drive (in my case drive J. You will notice two folders under this drive - "NWWM" and "OMGAUDIO". The latter contains your music files already transferred to your walkman through SonicStage assuming that's what you have been using. Backup your "OMGAUDIO" folder in case you need to revert back to the original settings (I just created "copy of OMGAUDIO" folder in the same walkman drive and copied everything from "OMGAUDIO" to this backup folder). Then, delete the original "OMGAUDIO" folder. Create a new folder. Name is "OMGAUDIO". Enter the newly created "OMGAUDIO" folder. Leave this window open.

Step 4: Launch Notepad application from start menu. Go to file > Save > Browse to the newly created "OMWAUDIO" folder under the walkman drive > In file name field type 04CNTINF.DAT and click save.

Step 5: For unprotected players (those that accept playback of unprotected music files [example mp3's]) launch notepad once again. Click File > Save As > Browse to the same "OMGAUDIO" folder mentioned above > in file name field type NOCODE.TXT then click Save.

Step 6: Copy ml_sony.dll file (contained in ml_sony.zip) and paste it to ProgramFiles/Winamp/Plugins directory

Step 7: Walkman still connected to your PC run Winapm. In my case it asked if it could manage Walkman Media Device. I clicked yes. It then appeared on list of media sources in Winapm library window. From this point on itís a matter of selecting songs/playlists already imported into Winapm and sending them to Sony Walkman Drive. (this drive is also likely to appear as a USB-drive location. Make sure you send it to the one with Sony Walkman label). After all your files are sent, click on the Sony Walkman under devices list in the same window and click APPLY.

That's it. I have been using it for few days now. Works like a charm for me. Hope this alternative suits your needs as well.

A quick note: I am a user of intermediate PC skills. Therefore, I cannot guarantee this will work for you, nor can be held liable for any outcome of above mentioned instructions. So, make sure you backup your original OMGAUDIO folder in case this solution does not work for you.
Good luck and hopefully Sony will come in terms with its customers after witnessing our tireless efforts in bypassing SS

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]