android
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Default 3 questions

Hi all, first time poster.

I intend to purchase an MP3 player and I have some questions about the Zen V Plus (in particular the 2GB model):

1. What exactly is the voice recording format? On one site it says "Voice Recording (8kHz mono IMA ADPCM)", on another "IMA ADPCM 16kHz mono WAV", and on another that the Zen V mic recording format is WMA realtime. Which one is it?

2. I intend to ocasionally use my player with some active (powered) speakers (~5W), connected to the earphone jack. In this case, it's not really important that one player has a higher output than another (i.e. 30 mW for iAudio F2 over 7 mW for Zen V+), it's the RMS power of the speakers that matters - is this correct?

3. When I'm at home, is it possible to connect the player to the mains using an AC adapter that will supply it with power without involving the batteries? For example, I have an old Sony walkman which uses AAA batteries but has also a power jack to plug in an AC adapter that will supply it with power. Boomboxes also have both batteries and a power cord, and when connected to the mains don't use at all the batteries. Is this possible for the Zen V+? I know there's an AC adapter that acts like a charger, but I guess that if the player stays connected to the charger it still gets power from its batteries, which are constantly recharged by the adapter - I'd want the player to get its power directly from the adapter. Is this possible for mp3 players that use rechargeable batteries?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2007, 02:55 PM

2. I hope it's fine, because I plugged it into my Logitech 5.1 played fine.

3. This MP3 player doesn't have a detachable battery. It's integrated. You'll have to buy the AC adapter separately from the player. I'm looking into getting one myself. If you charge via USB/Computer, you won't be able to use your player, but if you go through an AC adapter, it should let you use it, as there is no possibility of transfer.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the reply, 2wiSteD. Need to clear up some things, though.

2. I know it's fine to connect speakers to the earphone jack - I was wondering if the output of the player is important, if with the same active speakers one player with a higher output (30 mW) will sound much louder than another with a lower output (7 mW).

3. I'll rephrase my question: what happens when the battery is full and you connect the player to an AC adapter and use it? Does it take its power from the battery, which is constantly recharged by the AC adapter? Does it take it's power from the AC adapter and the battery is used only when you unplug it?

Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM

2. It sounded just as it would opening the MP3 on the computer, so I guess it doesn't matter. *shrug*

3. I would think it takes power from the charger, but I could be wrong. I haven't gotten my AC adapter yet. >.o

Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM

1. 4 bit 8kHz 32kbps Mono IMA ADPCM WAV.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:16 AM

2. The output power of the player is not important.

3. When mine's plugged into the PC and the battery is fully charged, the battery icon turns into an AC plug (approximately!). I assume that this means it is running on external power. I see no reason why the same behaviour shouldn't happen on an external AC power brick.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM

OK, thanks.