android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung R0 / Q3 / Z3 > Samsung R0 Rockbox / Mods

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Default "System Checking" each time after R0 software is shut down and Rockbox starts

Hi,

each time when the battery of my R0 gets empty, Rockbox won't start, and I have to plug in the charger, but then the original R0 software will start automatically. To switch back to Rockbox after charging, I have to shut down the Player by pressing the Power button for several seconds. But each time the device is booting afterwards, it does a "System Checking" for at least 2 minutes. It needs several shutdown/reboot cycles before the "System Checking" eventually is gone.

Is there any possibility to prevent the original R0 software from starting when the battery is empty and the charger has to be used to start the device? Or at least, is there any "safe" way to shutdown the R0 software and boot into Rockbox?

Stefan

BTW (off-topic, continued from the other thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Sandisk is probably the most famous brand and does pretty good job. They are generally not so expensive and reliable. I guess you were just unlucky, it's worth giving it a 2nd try. Of course pay attention to the many fakes on the market. It's sometimes better to pay a few more on amazon.de than trying to get it as cheap as possible on ebay and in the end getting a fake card.
Transcend, Samsung and Kingston are also advisable brands for microSD cards.
The 32 GB Class 10 card which made problems in my LG phone after some weeks I had bought at Amazon. Another 16 GB card from SanDisk which costed twice as much is working in my phone for 2 years now without any problems. - OK, I think I will try the Transcend or Samsung card...
Unfortunately the 64 GB card from Transcend I bought at Amazon for 51 quit working after only 6 weeks in my rockboxed R0. I first noticed that Rockbox wasn't able to read certain MP3 folders. In Windows, several folders showed only weird characters. Freshly formatted, only 8 GB could be written before a device error error showed up. I created a support ticket at the Transcend website. This is the 2nd of 5 microSD cards with 16GB and above that made problems after a short time. Perhaps I better should have bought the Samsung card...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

each time when the battery of my R0 gets empty, Rockbox won't start, and I have to plug in the charger, but then the original R0 software will start automatically. To switch back to Rockbox after charging, I have to shut down the Player by pressing the Power button for several seconds. But each time the device is booting afterwards, it does a "System Checking" for at least 2 minutes. It needs several shutdown/reboot cycles before the "System Checking" eventually is gone.
You didn't read the FAQ
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=58642

Quote:
BTW (off-topic, continued from the other thread):
Not sure why you opened a new thread...

Quote:
Unfortunately the 64 GB card from Transcend I bought at Amazon for 51 quit working after only 6 weeks in my rockboxed R0. I first noticed that Rockbox wasn't able to read certain MP3 folders. In Windows, several folders showed only weird characters. Freshly formatted, only 8 GB could be written before a device error error showed up. I created a support ticket at the Transcend website. This is the 2nd of 5 microSD cards with 16GB and above that made problems after a short time. Perhaps I better should have bought the Samsung card...
Arf, you are unlucky.
I have 7 or 8 microSD cards, Sandisk, Samsung and Transcend and all of them work properly!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Ah, OK, so have to carry a hardware tool (a pin) with me.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Samsung Moderator

Well, the problem is that the R0 doesn't like to be reseted when it's ON. So if you press the reset hole or if you press the power button for more than 3 seconds while it's ON, it will always perform a "System checking", whatever official firmware or modded firmware.

AFAIK, the only way to avoid "System checking" is to turn it OFF normally (= put it in standby mode) by pressing the power button for only 2-3 seconds, then press the reset hole to turn it fully OFF.

If you always use Rockbox it's not a problem, but if you sometimes use the Samsung app, then indeed you need a pin/paper clip or have to wait several hours until it turns fully OFF itself.

If you don't want to do that everytime I see 2 solutions:
1) Change the AUTUSB setting in bootl.cfg ( http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=887 )
2) Install the LightROM instead, then no Samsung app anymore

Last edited by lebellium; 09-19-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM

This morning I managed somehow to plug in the charger without having the Samsung software starting up. What I did was pressing the Power button immediately after connecting the USB cable of the charger to the player for about 2 seconds.

The AUTUSB option in my bootl.cfg file is set to C (Charge) - is this the default value? So if it's set to A or B, the Samsung software won't come up? I'll try this!

BTW, my 64GB SDXC card is working again! The Transcend support (which was very kind) advised me to use "SDFormatter", the official formatting tool of the SD Association. I could not believe that any software would be able to reanimate an apparently dead card until I actually tried it. After formatting it with exFAT using SDFormatter, I was able to format it with FAT32 again (using H2format) and copy my 46 GB MP3 files on it. Strange...

The only remaining question is: How could this happen? Is it because the R0 isn't actually SDXC compatible, and thus may have destroyed the logical card layout somehow?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
The AUTUSB option in my bootl.cfg file is set to C (Charge) - is this the default value? So if it's set to A or B, the Samsung software won't come up? I'll try this!
Yes, C is the default value. A or B aren't valid values, look at bootl.cfg, it should be clear enough: Y for Safe Mode and N for normal startup (with the usual selection screen)

Quote:
The only remaining question is: How could this happen? Is it because the R0 isn't actually SDXC compatible, and thus may have destroyed the logical card layout somehow?
Honestly I don't know

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, C is the default value. A or B aren't valid values, look at bootl.cfg, it should be clear enough: Y for Safe Mode and N for normal startup (with the usual selection screen)
Ah, yes, of course... I set it to Y last night, and now it's OK.

LightROM sounds intersting, but two questions:

1.) If I install it, will there be a "way back", or is it a "one-way road"?

2.) Is it sufficient to copy the R0.ROM only and to continue using my existing .rockbox dir, or do I have to setup Rockbox again from the very beginning?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
LightROM sounds intersting, but two questions:

1.) If I install it, will there be a "way back", or is it a "one-way road"?
There is always a "way back". With the LightROM you can still put a .ROM at the root to install any other firmware

Quote:
2.) Is it sufficient to copy the R0.ROM only and to continue using my existing .rockbox dir, or do I have to setup Rockbox again from the very beginning?
.rockbox is independent from the firmware/bootloader. So you can leave it where it is.
Copy the new R0.ROM should be enough.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks! At first I was a bit shocked that my Rockbox configuration had been reset to default, but after restoring my original .rockbox/config.cfg, everything is like before, only better. The player seems to start a bit faster, connecting USB while switched off maps the drives without pressing buttons, and connecting the charger doesn't start the Samsung software anymore. Now I like my R0 even more.