android
Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 AM

Default DAP for a 73 year old partially sighted woman!

Not me, but my mother. She really likes my Cowon J3, but as this has been discontinued, I was wondering if someone could recommend a current non-iPod I could think of getting for her (she has an old iPod that belonged to my dad, and really doesn't get on with it which is relief!). Criteria as follows:

• Capacity: probably 8-16 gb, to make sure she has plenty of room on there, SD card optional but always nice
  • Budget: 150-ish
  • Use: Mainly audiobooks, in the house and out and about, but probably some music once she's used to it.
  • Type/Design: Doubt she'd watch video on it, due to her eyesight troubles. Hates white and pink products.
  • Features: Radio would be a bonus, and she does love her DAB so if possible... Not essential though. Delete on the go would be handy, so she doesn't lose her place in a book, so I guess bookmarking features would also be good. Internet access not necessary. She'd probably appreciate a speaker too
  • Display: large display with customisable fonts to make it as easy as possible for her to see what she's doing (that's why she likes my J3, because of the ability to make the text larger)
  • UI/Controls: not important, as long as she can see them
  • Battery life: the longer the better - she's just bought 60AAs to power her CD/cassette players to feed her book habit! Ability to listen whilst charging is probably a must.
Thanks very much for any help you're able to give!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Does she have a computer? An ipod shuffle might make sense for someone with limited eye sight.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Do the new ipod touches have the same crazy resolution as the other i devices lately? I would personally get a sansa product that is rockboxable. Then I would chose a theme that only displays relevant info like artist and track title on the now playing screen. Then I would remove everything but files,database,and resume playback from the main menu. I would also bump up the font size to something very large. Maybe get a clip+ with the blue and black contrast? Or just get her a galaxy player 5.0.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks both.

Saratoga - yes, she's a semi-active PC user, though it's a bit old and knackered. It's running XP, and I do a thorough disk clean up every time I visit to make sure it runs as fast as possible, though realistically I think she'll need a new one in the next year or so. She can't do without her Angry Birds though!!! Not sure the shuffle will work with audiobooks - I don't know much about it, but am I right in thinking you can't turn the shuffle off (might seem a silly question, but Apple isn't my forte...)

MammaMia - Really liking the look of the Sansa Clip+, a couple of nice Rockbox themes too. Not at all familiar with Rockbox, but looks straightforward enough. Thank you! Nice contrasty screen, reckon it should be OK, and just downloaded one of the RB sims to test. Cheap too, looks like I can afford it for her Christmas present now! Will just hang on a couple more days in case anyone else trumps your suggestion, but I think we're sorted!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Yep straight forward as possible if using the rockbox installer program. Then customizing the main menu is as simple as creating a text file called menu.cfg or something containing the text "root menu order:comma separated list" and loading it. Theming and changing fonts is super easy as well. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...6-30900013.1.1

Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How about a Samsung Galaxy player?

Not sure if it does audio books though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=8-1