android
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Default NWZ-E464 - IPOD-plug compatible?

Hi all, newbie here. The car I have has a custom stereo system that was installed by the prior owner. It has a cord semi-permanently installed to plug an IPOD in and run as AUX. My question is, will the NWZ-E464 plug into this, does it have the same plug as IPOD? I have been looking at some good deals on EBAY, and looking for a non-IPOD quality MP3 player that I can also use in the car. Does the NWZ series use the same jack/plug? It is hard to tell from the pix. Thanks !

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If it has a USB port it might work. Post a picture so we can see the port you plan on plugging it into.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The Sony WM-PORT connector isn't compatible with a iPod connector. There aren't any adapters available either.

What some do is use a audio cable from the headphone out of the Sony to the AUX in of the car sound system. That works best if you max the volume on the player and use the car sound system to control the volume. You won't have any control of the player but it the resulting sound is decent.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM

It looks like this: http://www.jr.com/pyle/pe/PYL_PLIPKENWD/
So can I use any of my IPOD USB cables to charge and/or load this thing, or does Sony use a completely different plug? If not, are there any decent non-Apple MP3 players that are compatible with the plug? In addition to the car cable, I must have a dozen cables..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Administrator

iPod connectors will only work with iPods. The iPod connectors are proprietary and there's no other players that are capable of using them. A few others like the Zune and older sandisk players have the same size connector but the pin assignments aren't the same. If you try to use the cable from one on the other you'll just damage the player by feeding power to where a data signal should go.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Actually I have had few IPOD chinese knockoffs from EBAY that use the IPOD jacks. One played thru the car stereo as well. They look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-1-8-LCD-...-/160563131020
So only IPOD or their chinese knockoffs work with these cables..? Maybe I should change the cable in the car to a headphone-jack input one..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Nothing made by a quality manufacturer that has anything to lose by being sued by apple works. If you're content with a knockoff that's your choice.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM

True dat - they make quality stuff but I am trying to get free of the "Evil Empire"..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's nothin wrong with using an iPod in the car. As they say, if it works it works!!! I own multiple players, and a few are iPods,...no shame to my game. Now, I gotta see if I can get a similar cable for my car. My stereo is iPod compatible, but I need the cable hookup. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Administrator

That empire was built to a good extent around that connector and it's capabilities. As soon as you leave that behind compatibility with external devices just about nonexistent. There's just about no accessories that work the interoperability that makes the iPod compatible docks and head units so handy. There were a couple of docks and head units made that worked with the Zune but I don't think any of those are being made now that the Zune has been discontinued.

In this case what I said earlier is probably all you can do if you want to go with a Sony. Connect the headphone out through the AUX in and play the music that way. You won't be able to control the player but you will have good sounding music that isn't coming from an iPod.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Well I think I found the solution to the car issue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-CAR-...7f87b7&vxp=mtr

So.. back the the item, I see NWZ-E464 for $67 shipped on EBAY, any have experience with this line?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Administrator

I had one for a while. Very nice player, it was just that the 8 GB capacity wasn't enough for my needs. If you have confidence in the seller I'd say go for it.

I'd be sure to get at least a screen protector or preferably a full case if there's any available. The plastic on the screen is a bit soft and scratches fairly easily.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Actually, I am glad I found this forum and will do some more research here before I get something else. I didn't know there was an Apple-weary MP3 community out there. I think after XMAS there are better deals, and there will be a lot of good used stuff on EBAY especially since the trend is towards using Smartphones for music.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Not so much apple weary as looking for alternatives. As TDS said, if an iPod works best for someone that's what they should get.

I think this thread is a good example of that. If you find that not being able to have full control of the player while you drive is a problem I can't see why you shouldn't get a player that would let you do things the way you want. It an iPod is that player, that's the one you should have.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Actually, I don't use my car for commuting so it's not a huge deal. I am on public transit in Boston and around town, it is very much a "walking" city, and I always have an MP3 player and use the FM radio feature as well. I drive it up to NH skiing in the winter. The Kenwood unit also plays MP3's burned on a CD so I can put like 100 or so songs on a blank as well.. I was just curious about the Sony cable interface, it looks like a powerful little unit and has excellent reviews. What I DON'T like about Apple is the whole ITUNES thing, The Sony gives you multiple ways to load your media onto it, I like just using Windows explorer.

Last edited by DaveV; 11-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.