android
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Default S100 DAB+ - How good is it?

Does anyone have any experience of the DAB+ aspect of the S100 DAB+ player?

I have recently purchased a small Sangean digital radio, but I'm really unhappy with it because at low volumes on sensitive headphones there is a very noticeable background hiss. I have spoken to a Sangean tech who said "that's just the way it is". Apparently it is signal noise being amplified by the internal electronics of the unit.

I am now left with the option of learning to live with it or get something else. The only real option I can see that might have a better sound quality is a dedicated music unit like the Iriver S100 DAB+.

If anyone out there has one of these, could you please let me know how you have found the DAB+ reception and quality. Is there any noticeable background hiss at low volume in a very quiet environment?

If all this is good, how easy is it to set favourite radio stations and move between them? Can you change stations without having to look at the screen?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM

I owned a S100 for a year. Unfortunately, mine died for no reason. However, I can answer a few of your queries.

I found the reception to be mostly excellent. I could catch a train or drive with the digital radio on without interference. You'll get the odd interference when you go into a tunnel or a heavily covered area of course.

Sound quality was amazing, infact better than most of my mp3s.. I never noticed any background noise.

I could scan the whole suite of station, however I couldn't store it. Changing stations always required me to look at the screen.

Overall, I really really liked it. The SQ was amazing, battery life was good and it worked well. I didn't like how the screen orientation changed when I used DAB, but I got used to it. I am now looking for a replacement, it's proving tough..