android
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Administrator

I updated mine to a current dev build and it seems something is broken. I had a reliable USB connection on the Fuze+ before and it crashes every time now unless everything is on the defaults. Anything change from one of the default Rockboxthemes causes a crash when I try to connect through USB.

Changing the font also brings unexpected changes as well. When I try changing the font in any of skamp's themes the status bar loses it's information. That's both in the WPS and the main menu screens.

I'm also seeing a few other things like themes not rendering the way they did before. They don't seem to be completely broken but some elements don't always load. Album art is also loading slower than what it once did. You don't say which themes besides skamp's you added but I'd check them against the what the graphics on the theme site show they should look like. A reboot usually fixes it but that isn't something I had to do before.

I've no idea which change or changes caused this but when I fall back to 00b3fd2-131229 everything goes back to working smoothly. They keep a few of the older dev builds here. You may want to give one of those a try and see if your problems may have been caused by the recent changes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting, I didn't encounter many issues with grayfog and my build, but I might try an older build to see if it runs even smoother.
Any idea what we lose rolling back a build?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 AM

The bug has been reported and the offending commit has been identified. I'll report back when I have more news. Commits before 91ef65306bf4e459f430d6dc44e5923d6b9f8399 should work (I'm using a15a15b).

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 AM

You guys rule.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info skamp. I just took a look at the recent commits and see a number of recent changes. The problem definitely started for me in the builds after the one I listed. I hope that helps cutting down on how much bisecting needs to be done to find the commit that caused the change.

Bruce, it's doubtful rolling back to a build before the one I identified would make anything smoother. There's a date code in the build naming convention Rockbox uses that let's you know when a build was created. It's Year-Month-Day. 131229 translates to 2013-December-29th. The build you're using is before that so it's before the commit that caused this change.

Anytime you want to know what's been introduced check the since 4 weeks link I posted above. I frequently get lost trying to understand what some of them mean but major changes like the introduction of the sensitivity setting are usually easy enough to understand.

I usually don't update unless I see something that seems it impacts the DAPs I have. When I do I keep a copy of the build that's working the way I want before I over write my older build. That way if anything goes wonky I can go back to what was working.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Part of the problem seems to be related to the markup of my themes, which I spent a lot of time "fixing" in order to work around Rockbox bugs at the time. Now it seems that those workarounds are causing bugs, and the "normal" markup works (i.e. the situation is reversed).

The problem is that the markup documentation is incomplete and imprecise (I don't know what markup is strictly correct, and what isn't), and we can't seem to agree on what exactly is a Rockbox bug, and what isn't. Furthermore, bugs that I filed reports for months ago, were never looked at.

For those reasons, I will wait until the situation gets cleared up before I modify my themes again. Until then, I can only recommend using build a15a15b or earlier.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM

im a bit late to the party here but good on RB for building a system for the Fuze+, all i remember is the outcry on how crappy the interface and whole system was when it came out - that goodness for rockbox eh
Video: Ramos T11RK 5"

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Skip252, going back to the 131229 build has completely solved the problems I was experiencing. Thank you for your help.
Rockbox on the Fuze+ is a wonder. When I first powered up my new Fuze+ using the original firmware, I took the perspective of "hey, this isn't so bad...those guys just like to complain..." and honestly it was doable for me. It was laggy, yes, and I had to press "with purpose" every time, but it seemed okayish. Now, I would never try to navigate it while driving, mind you, but I was able to get it to work. It looked nice and seemed to be intuitively laid out (at least for a non-novice Sansa man like me)
HOWEVER...using Rockbox is a revelation. The damn thing just responds like a dream and it no longer takes a concerted effort to do anything. It is really, well, effortless now. I found that increasing the touchpad sensitivity a little (+5) has only improved matters. I will definitely try a few different settings, but right now that seems about right. I am using Skamp's Grayfog theme (because it's so pretty) and I am loving the whole experience.
Now if I could only understand Sandisk's utter lack of support for the Fuze+. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their last firmware update in 2011?! I guess they thought everything was peachy?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their last firmware update in 2011?!
Yes—15 July 2011. http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-F...ght/true#M3192. Perhaps production of the Fuze+ stopped at about this date.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Skip252, going back to the 131229 build has completely solved the problems I was experiencing. Thank you for your help.
Rockbox on the Fuze+ is a wonder. When I first powered up my new Fuze+ using the original firmware, I took the perspective of "hey, this isn't so bad...those guys just like to complain..." and honestly it was doable for me. It was laggy, yes, and I had to press "with purpose" every time, but it seemed okayish. Now, I would never try to navigate it while driving, mind you, but I was able to get it to work. It looked nice and seemed to be intuitively laid out (at least for a non-novice Sansa man like me)
HOWEVER...using Rockbox is a revelation. The damn thing just responds like a dream and it no longer takes a concerted effort to do anything. It is really, well, effortless now. I found that increasing the touchpad sensitivity a little (+5) has only improved matters. I will definitely try a few different settings, but right now that seems about right. I am using Skamp's Grayfog theme (because it's so pretty) and I am loving the whole experience.
Now if I could only understand Sandisk's utter lack of support for the Fuze+. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their last firmware update in 2011?! I guess they thought everything was peachy?
Yeh pretty much my thoughts. Stock firmware is massively compromised when you try it with 32gb card stacked full of tunes.

Coming from using a touchpad on the i9+ I was right at home, I never even had to change the sensitivity to anything than it's default (tho I might give it a whirl).
After playing with it for awhile I see the Fuze+ like this;

Fuze+
Pros: Battery Life, Large Higher Quality Screen
Cons: Not Tactile controls, heavier, bulkier.

Clip+/Zip
Pros: Light, Small, Tactile Controls
Cons: Battery Life, Screen Quality

So in the end you shoot for the DAP that is most relevent to you.

I guess where I see the Fuze+ lose is comparing it to a smartphone, if you have one it seems a little redundant, whereas the clip/zip is useful at least in situations that a smartphone isn't as practical.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Stock firmware is massively compromised when you try it with 32gb card stacked full of tunes.
Guess I should've mention that I only had 8GB of tunes on it. I know it would have only gotten worse.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I've got Rockbox on my Fuze+, and it is freezing up repeatedly and the screen glitches a lot (flickering, becomes pixelated, etc.). Anybody have any ideas what is going on here?
Can you tell us what LCD display you have? Please do this: from the main menu, go to System → Debug → View HW info → target. Please tell us what the "lcd kind:" line reads.

To get out of there, press the Power button. If that doesn't work, just press Power for a long time, until the Fuze+ turns off.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:03 PM

I'm very happy to report that after two days of debugging by Thomas Martitz (a.k.a. kugel), all the long standing bugs that I had encountered and reported so far (many theme bugs, but also graphical glitches, slowness and freezing) have been fixed.

As a direct consequence, I've updated my Googley themes to remove the workarounds that are no longer necessary. I've also added a hold switch indicator, incorporated into the current storage activity indicator (dots change to vertical bars when the hold switch is on).

Please get build 193911a or later for all targets (iPod Video, iPod Classic, Fuze+), and download the updated archives of my Googley themes: Googley-Classic-All-2014-01-16.zip for iPods, and Googley-FuzePlus-All-2014-01-16.zip for the Fuze+ (and other compatible 240x320 targets).

I have dropped the A14 / A19 / B14 / B19 variants, because they're not really necessary, and updating them all would take too much time. In order to change the default metadata behavior, go in the Theme Settings menu, and change the "status bar" setting to either "top" or "bottom", as before.

A big thank you to kugel for taking the time to look into and fix so many nasty bugs.

Last edited by skamp; 01-16-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: updated archive URLs

Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM

Today's build d243e7e also corrects those same display issues that affected grayfog themes (204668d from 5 or 6 January was OK but I tried yesterday's daily after reading recent posts here and experienced the same screen corruption and freezes as described by others).

It's great to see kugel made the firmware fixes and that you fixed your themes so quickly.

Still loving my Fuze+

btw I notice that here in UK the 8GB Fuze+ and Clip Zip refurbs are now essentially unavailable from the main Sansa refurb channel on ebay.co.uk (listed at many times new price prob cos seller doesn't have any and wants to avoid listing fees if he gets some more) and the 4GB ones are only available in blue or purple. So, if anyone wants a very cheap refurbished Zip or Fuze+ it looks like it could be now or never.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Can you tell us what LCD display you have? Please do this: from the main menu, go to System → Debug → View HW info → target. Please tell us what the "lcd kind:" line reads.

To get out of there, press the Power button. If that doesn't work, just press Power for a long time, until the Fuze+ turns off.
D'oh. Sorry for the delay.
The line reads: st7783

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Seems this addressed a number of hidden issues. The problems I had scrolling through long lists aren't happening along with an overall improvement in response. I wasn't sure about the improved response so I rolled back to an older build and checked. It's not a night and day difference but there is a definite difference.

The instant and repeatable crashes on USB connection have stopped. I'm able connect and transfer files on the Fuze+ again without any issues. skamp's themes display properly now that he's reworked them. Thanks skamp, much appreciated.

To top it off I'm able to use lebellium's themes for the first time on my Clip Zip. Before now they always caused USB failure along with files system problems. It was so bad that I couldn't even open the Clip Zip to look at the folders without causing file corruption when I had any part of his themes loaded.

File transfer sometime fails now when leb's themes loaded but it's random. The times it has failed there haven't been any file system problems when I checked. Transfer rate is so slow, ~400 KB\sec, I'll probably continue to use a card reader to load the card but at least I can update the contents of the main memory without thinking about which theme I have loaded.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

After the disappointment that was the Sport Clip I dug out the Sansa Fuze+ (from a comparison perspective) and feel as tho I need to give this player another chance. I was getting a very decent sound when pairing with my Z02 amp, time to make a proper rig
I have a few questions before proceeding;

1) I only own the 4gb Fuze+, my entire music collection is sitting around the 64gb mark and the only sd card I own is a 32gb (not big enough). With the announcement of the 128gb microsdcard will this work in the Fuze+ (rockboxed of course)? If so what specific variant of card am I looking for? Same goes for a 64gb microsdcard (as I might be able to squeeze all of my music onto it or at least omit the odd album here or there...), what kind of 64gb microsd card works in the Fuze+?
NB: I have noticed a whopping 2600 files (of the 9071) are at bitrate 128-192kbps (ripped years ago), I would like to 'upgrade' these files to being 192 minimum or 256-320kbps, that will undoubtedly increase my collection past the 64gb mark, so I'm more interested in getting a 128gb card working going forward...

2) Does rockbox have a file number limitation? Right now my 64gb sits at 9071 files (I thought it was 12,500 but that is total files such as folder.jpgs, txt files etc...

3) The Lyric Player. All my music is tagged as 'UNSYNCED', is there a way to display the lyrics of the song without it auto scrolling? ie you would perhaps use the up and down trackpad to scroll through the lyrics...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers,

Bruce

Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM

You won't have any problem with any good quality 64GB microSD and there is no reason to think a 128GB card should cause any issues so long as you can format it to FAT32. Use a modern disk format tool such as the SD Association's formatter or a recent version of GParted and accept its automatic partition scheme and that you will "lose" maybe 5 or 10MB before and after the file system. Don't try to "reclaim" that space; it isn't wasted as it means the file system starts and finishes on notional cylinder boundaries, as intended. This matters for performance and reliability.

I don't think there is any limit in Rockbox to the number of files, or at least not a limit that you might actually encounter in the real world. The maximum number of files you can view in a single directory in the Rockbox file browser is 10000 (ten thousand). The maximum number of audio files that can be referenced in a single playlist is 32000. Yes, that is thirty two thousand. You should be OK

I don't know anything about lyric files. I am sure you can find out whatever you need to know in the manual i.e. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html

Tags
fuze+, sansa fuze+ review