android
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Ripping DVD...with iRiverter or AutoGK??

I've used iRiverter with great success for my Clix but now I'm the proud owner of an NS-DV4 (!!!) and I love it. I watch as much video as I do listen to toons. Clix will play back at 15 fps but the DVDs I've converted for it and since loaded on the NS-DV4 are out of sync, audio-wise. I've tried the settings (setting device to Creative Zen) and bumped the bitrate up for video (256k and/or 512K) and audio (128K) and when I do that, the newly ripped file from a DVD won't even play. I get the dreaded "error with file" message. WTH?

AutoGK takes forever + 9 days. The online guide is great...until you get to the part where it says that the conversion may take twice as long as the length of the content. HA!

Now, can ArcSoft rip DVD? I notice you can select .VOB files but there are a few of those per disc. I'm trying to re-encode an iRiverter .avi through ArcSoft to see what happens but I'm not hoping for much.

Any help for a n00b is greatly appreaciated.

Cheers,
David

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Insignia Moderator

Try DVD Shrink to rip in to a .Vob file. Then throw that into the Arcsoft converter. I recommend converting it to a .wmv. Those don't seem to go out of sync like .mp4s do.

It should work...

Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Love DVD Shrink! What I'm missing here is what to do with 5 .VOB files? I usually use Shrink rip to .iso and burn to DVD+R.

Should I convert all the .VOB files? Would that make my movie 5 files long?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Insignia Moderator

No, you only need the main movie. You're going to have to find out which one that is... It's usually the one with the biggest file size.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 PM

That's what I figured...but...when I rip to .VOB it pulls out several large (1gb+) files. I ended up dropping all the .vob files (10+) into Media Converter. It blasted through them fast. Too fast. Its all 1-2 minute random clips of the movie. GRRRRRR!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Insignia Moderator

Hmm... I don't know what could be wrong.

I suppose you could give Handbrake for Windows a shot. It's a little crude, but it'll get the job done when all else fails. Just make sure you set the output format to xvid, and the output file name to "yourfilename.MP4"

EDIT:
Wait, wait, wait. Try this. In DVD Shrink, click the "Re-author" button. Right-click on the main movie and select "Add" then click "Backup" You should only get 1 .VOB file this time.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM

well....followed your instructions....and it kicked out 4 .vob files.

Good Lord..this is getting silly.

As much as I love this new unit, it was SO much easier getting movies on the Clix via iRiverter.

EDIT:

MORE!

The 4 .vob files kicked out...3 were nearly 1GB and one was 13MB. When loaded into Media Converter, it took less than 2 minutes to convert them and the resulting .avi's were 8MB combined. WTH?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Insignia Moderator

Ok then... back to plan 'A':Handbrake.

Did you even try converting one of those 4 files, by the way?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:26 PM

I did. File 1: title sequence. 1:12 in length. File 2: clip of movie. 00:37 sec long. File 3: random clip 2:25 long. File 4: credits. 00:25 sec long.

El Bizarro.

Thanks for the link. I'm off to try it.

Cheers,
David

Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks, Tobey, for the attention. I d/l Handbrake and tried it out...though not to completion. I'll play around again tonight with it. Isn't the Windows version a beta? Looks pretty rough and has almost TOO many settings.

In sum, the thing I'm most frustrated with is that 1) iRiverter-converted movies won't play on the unit (choppy, out-of-sync or file error) and 2) when I do use other apps to export .vob files, they end up very short and incomplete. Its SO weird to see a 1gb .vob file run through ArcSoft in 3 minutes only to end up 5MB and 2 minutes long.

All I want is to watch a movie on this awesome little PMP. Clix did it. Why can't this (understanding it appears to be a software and not hardware issue)? I guess its a bit rhetorical.

Cheers,
David

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Are you running FAT32?
How much RAM do you have?
When re-encoding 1 GB files, your page files will really need to breath.
Have you tried shutting down all possible running programs?
D/C your internet conection along with Virus/Firewall...
Post back your results.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Insignia Moderator

I feel for you. I don't understand why yours is doing this. Mine will convert an entire .VOB file without a problem.

Yes, Hand Brake is in beta, and like I said, it's very crude. But it works!

The only settings you need to mess with are two in the "Advanced Video" tab. 1. you set the codec to "XviD"
2. you set the framerate to 29.97

And then back in the "General" tab, you need to type a name for the output file, and make sure it ends with .mp4. And you can mess with the video quality settings if you want, since you're going to be viewing it on a 2" screen, you can probably take the quality down a little.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Will do...and I'll post the results tonight. Again, thanks.

Cheers,
David

Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Ok, the results are in. And I'm glad to report back that Handbrake worked great.

I followed your advice on the settings, hit go, and went to bed. It took 2 hours and 5 minutes to rip a 1 hour 50 minute movie. Slow, but it worked. Wished there was a batch option.

I dumped the mp4 file into Arcsoft MC...another 20 minutes...and it plays great on the NS-DV4. The file output from Handbrake played fine on the PC would not on the unit till it went through Arcsoft.

I'm going to try using ***** DVD ripper tonight. I played around with it last night and pulled a clip out and it might be faster than Handbrake.

Now, I'll be recording my band tonight via this unit and a great mic that I've used before. I'll post THOSE results tomorrow in a new thread. There are many of us out there that really like/need/want direct line-in recording. The fact that this unit has it is really the main reason I bought it and dumped the Clix. Well, that, and the mSD slot. And the videos. And the look of the unit. And the price.

Thanks for the help, T.

Cheers,
David

Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 AM

dvd decrypter and dvd shrink were always an unbeatable combination for me. Dont know why you were having such problems with shrink, it was alwasy glitch free for me. now I one step with dvdFab.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM

I've used them for 2 year with almost no problems..but only to burn DVD.

The main problem I'm having is trying to get or have extracted, one .vob file of the main movie that I can then convert and dump to the NS-DV4.

I followed Tobey's instructions for Decrypter and it wouldn't work.

As much as I love this unit, its getting frustrating today...working on video conversion. 3 hour to convert a 1.5 hour movie is basically what its adding up to it seems. Even using Handbrake, I still have use ArcSoft MC and when it does finally work, the quality isn't great.

Boy, the Zen Vision M sounds So nice for video.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesius View Post
I've used them for 2 year with almost no problems..but only to burn DVD.

The main problem I'm having is trying to get or have extracted, one .vob file of the main movie that I can then convert and dump to the NS-DV4.

I followed Tobey's instructions for Decrypter and it wouldn't work.

As much as I love this unit, its getting frustrating today...working on video conversion. 3 hour to convert a 1.5 hour movie is basically what its adding up to it seems. Even using Handbrake, I still have use ArcSoft MC and when it does finally work, the quality isn't great.

Boy, the Zen Vision M sounds So nice for video.
You wont get one vob file. You take the Vob files and make 1 seperate avi in ireverter for each VOB(its automatic using directory selection)then join them in ireverter under new->advanced->joinVideo. Thats what I had to do anyway.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 AM

in DVDshrink there's a setting so that you just get 1 vob file for the entire main movie