android
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Default just bought one - questions

I just bought the NS-DV4G today on eBay, in "new condition" from a big seller. It was only $57 plus $9 shipping.. DEAL!!! I am selling my Sansa e260 and replacing it with this one..

Has anyone here had experience with both players? Other than the fact that the Sansa E260 has tons of accessories for it and possibly a nicer scroll wheel, I think I like the Insignia better.

I've had the E260 and was not overly impressed with the firmware, the support, or the sound quality, which is why I am going with the Insignia.

Reasons I'm getting the Insignia: The layout makes more sense (horizontal orientation for the widescreen), larger screen, cooler looking and larger LCD and menus, in my opinion.. I know people have complained about the sound quality of the Sansa's, so I figured the Insignia's can't be noticeably worse. I also like that I can use my MicroSD card with this one (and hopefully this one doesn't have dreadfully long startup times, like the e260 does, with the MicroSD inserted). I also think the fact that this is a "Best Buy brand", I might have luck just dropping it off at a Best Buy for service (hopefully!)

I will let you know what I think of this one, compared to the Sansa e2xx series once I've had it for a few days.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 AM

Sorry, I don't have experience with the Sansa, but there were a few things in your message I may be able to respond to.

I got mine on eBay as well, paying a price not too different from yours (well, a few bucks less). I'm assuming that these units show up there because Best Buy doesn't want to deal with them as "open box - returned" merchandise. Definitely seems like a good deal!

With the MicroSD card in, the power-on time is extended, since the firmware wants to re-index the card contents every time. It may be that putting just one or a small number of items on the card will not really add a lot of time -- but I had something like 200 items needing indexing. It was annoying enough to cause me to pull the MicroSD out. Perhaps there should be an item on the wish list (maintained here by Tobey) to try to do something about it.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Insignia Moderator

Yes, it does take a little while longer with a card inserted. But it nowhere near as bad as the Sansa.

I've got a 1GB card in right now, and it's tacking on about 5 extra seconds to my start up time. Although, this card is just filled with videos, maybe it's a little longer with MP3s.

The sound quality is definitely better than the e200, but not by leaps and bounds. And I think the wheel on the NS-DV is better because it's a hell of a lot smoother. It a shame it doesn't glow though...

Old 02-28-2007, 09:39 AM

I am so happy to hear the indexing only takes 5 seconds.. A full 1gb card on the Sansa takes a good 30 seconds on my player!

Another thing I Like over the Sansa is the fact that it uses a standard mini-usb cable.. Woo hoo..

I really, really, can't wait to use the bigger screen, for half hour TV shows and whatnot.

Is the 20 hour battery life accurate? Also, are there any good tricks or hacks for it? What's a good silicone case to buy for it, and can I use a velcro armband with it?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM

So what are you doing with your e260? Mine has a cracked screen and I'm on the lookout.
Hoping to resurrect an e260 from ebay soon.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM

I sent you a PM with info.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Insignia Moderator

There's only one silicone case for it, and I don't know how great it is... You can find a link to it in the links thread the top. The vinyl case that comes with it has a belt loop, which I suppose you could attach an armband to.

I'm not sure about the battery life. I've never really had the chance to fully drain it because I sync podcasts to it every 3 days, so it's always fully charged.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 PM

I got mine from the same guy, and figured since it was used, I'd stress the battery to see if I should pick up a new one.

LCD on, set to repeat all, made it about 9 hours.
LCD off pulled about 17.
Video managed just under 6.

Those numbers are all from letting the player run non-stop. Letting it rest once in a while will probably help squeeze out significant amounts of time. So I'd say it's pretty accurate. Also, from totally dead to full battery takes just shy of 3 hours.

Like Tobey said, there's just the one silicon case for now. I use the ugly little plastic thing it came with and a generic armband for running. Poke a little hole in the far side to prevent the ungodly screen vaccum from holding on to your player.

With just videos on a 1gb card, I hardly notice the boot time. I imagine it might take a little longer with, say, 2000 photos or something.

I for one am extremely glad I went with this over a sansa.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Insignia Moderator

Haha, ungodly is an understatement... Didn't think about poking a hole in the case. That's a good idea. Although, I kind of like the vacuum because it sucks itself so tight to the LCD, that you can barely see it, which is nice. But good luck getting it back off after it does that...

Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 PM

http://media.putfile.com/mp3--by-chinacompany
lov the device here is a sample of a china company and insignia why widescreen is better that a stick

Old 03-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Overall Jeff... you bought the better player.

It just has less accessory support.